Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By andrelamont

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    link
    Nokia Lumia 822 and 5-inch HTC device found in Verizon systems -- Engadget

The lumia 820 series has a carrier! Here hoping Verizon gets a 922! The more carriers = the more sales ( well at least in the US)
    Last edited by andrelamont; 09-06-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    db4williams likes this.

I'd go for an 822. I'd much rather have a 922 but probably couldn't afford it.

Global Posts
    1,728 Global Posts
    Man, that person needed to scroll up more.. maybe the 922 is below, or on the next page. :)

Well that's disappointing. Come on Nokia, can't you get your best phone on Verizon?

Edit: maybe they didn't scroll down enough as TK093 said? Wishful thinking, but I can hope :)

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    My guess is Verizon was not allowed to get the 920. It's most likely an AT&T exclusive and that is probably an agreement between MS/Nokia and AT&T. Verizon was probably offered the 820 and accepted, following the "success" of the Lumia line.

I guess I'll be waiting to see what HTC comes out with then.

I'm not sure what Nokia is doing. If they think that Verizon is going to spend any effort promoting the 822 with all the other nice hardware they have then they're crazy.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    So it's the Trophy all over again.

For the record, I HAVE a Trophy and enjoy it greatly, but for my next one I wanted a flagship. Verizon just keeps finding ways to disappoint. What a shame.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Tjarren View Post

For the record, I HAVE a Trophy and enjoy it greatly, but for my next one I wanted a flagship. Verizon just keeps finding ways to disappoint. What a shame.
    I wouldn't be so quick to blame Verizon. As others have mentioned, Nokia may have an exclusivity deal with ATT. Think about it. If Verizon had the choice between the 820 and 920, why on earth would they pick the 820?

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I hope something good comes to T-mobile.

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    my guess is that there will be a 920 variant. Why? Verizon has all the leverage, they don't need Nokia...Nokia needs Verizon with their 100+million customers.

So all Verizon has to do is bend them to their will.

"Say, You gave AT&T exclusive rights to 920. Give us one or we 'ain't carrying none of your products"

Nokia balked at the last Verizon negotiation and look where that got them. I say play Verizon game ( like Samsung did ) for a few years and when Nokia gets powerful enough they can dictate terms to Verizon...just like Samsung is doing now.

Verizon is just looking for a sweet deal as they hold the cards to 100million users.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjarren View Post

Don't blame Verizon. I actually was pissed at Verizon when I found out they passed on the 900, but then I found out WP7 wouldn't be upgradable to WP8. So I commend them for not pissing on their customers with a "new" phone whose OS is outdated in 6 months. That's why I'm done with Android.

And don't lecture me on 7.8. It's fragmentation, no matter how you slice it.

So if this is "punishment" for Verizon for passing, then Nokia will meet the same fate as Apple did with their AT&T exclusivity. They left an opening and Android ate up that marketshare.

AT&T probably has an exclusivity agreement with Nokia for the 9xx series. At least for a few months.

In return, Nokia probably gets a certain level of promotion that Verizon was unwilling to give. Similar to what AT&T did for the Lumia 900.

I expect Verizon to get a high-end Windows Phone. It will just happen to be from Samsung or HTC.

I think Verizon will get the 920 eventually. But I'm sure the wait has as much to do with a likely AT&T exclusive as it does with Verizon not wanting to step on top of the droid razr line they just announced with Motorola.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,525 Global Posts
    I will be pretty disappointed if Verizon doesn't have a 920 at launch. I'm not settling for something less than a top of the line phone this time around.
    I'm not buying a phone with a 1650 battery, period.

I want a Nokia this time... Tired of Samsung and HTC phones. I might go back to at&t if Verizon gets the 820 only. Low res screen and now pure view? Just a stupid a** move on Verizons part. If the s3 didn't come out I would be stuck using the crap galaxy nexus with horrible battery and reception

Global Posts
    2,396 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    Well that's disappointing. Come on Nokia, can't you get your best phone on Verizon?

Edit: maybe they didn't scroll down enough as TK093 said? Wishful thinking, but I can hope :)
    Thed I think you are looking to the wrong party VZN has to pay the $$$ to Nokia and ay we want the 922 or 1022 or whatever Nokia will be happy to oblige but the ball is definitely in VZN' s court
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Razr HD it is...

Quote Originally Posted by jfa1 View Post
    Thed I think you are looking to the wrong party VZN has to pay the $$$ to Nokia and ay we want the 922 or 1022 or whatever Nokia will be happy to oblige but the ball is definitely in VZN' s court
    How do you know this is Verizon's fault? That doesn't make sense to me. As I said before, if they had the choice, why would they pick the 820 over the 920? And if they don't care about WP at all then why would they even bother with the 820?

Today, AT&T + Nokia announced a November availability date for the 920. While it seems safe to assume that the Verizon/Nokia 822 will be like the 820, there seems to be an information gap that has yet to be closed. Roughly 20 days ago, the Wall Street Journal announced that Verizon was going to get into the WP8 game with a device from Nokia with the code name of Atlas. Not sure why it is categorized as mid-range? I would like to see some semi-legit confirmation that the 822 IS the Atlas. And if so, will it be matching the advertised specs, will it be a hot Xbox gaming phone, and was there really collaboration between Nokia/Intel/and Razor on the phone? Here is what hit the Web a few weeks ago: Nokia Xbox Phone Involes Razer, Intel and Microsoft – Nokia Atlas | Concept Phones
    MadDogFL62

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Verizon CMO confirms carrier will sell a BlackBerry 10 device at launch - Engadget

Not sure what Verizon is doing as they have said mutiple times they wanted a 3 OS system so if they are COMING out and saying BB10 on launch...where does that leave WP8?

So they will sell?
    iOS
    Android
    Blackberry
    WP8

Whats more amazing is what is Blackberry telling Verizon to get their deal done?

Update
    Verizon CEO suggests that Samsung should make its own smartphone OS
    weird...sure its just negotiating tatics
    Last edited by andrelamont; 09-07-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: updated

Global Posts
    1,728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    Verizon CMO confirms carrier will sell a BlackBerry 10 device at launch - Engadget

Not sure what Verizon is doing as they have said mutiple times they wanted a 3 OS system so if they are COMING out and saying BB10 on launch...where does that leave WP8?

So they will sell?
    iOS
    Android
    Blackberry
    WP8

Whats more amazing is what is Blackberry telling Verizon to get their deal done?
    I expected this. Blackberry is a business phone first, Verizon has tons and tons of business customers (like us) that still use plenty of Blackberry devices. No way they risk losing that business.

Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The Xbox gaming phone is something I've heard rumored since the Lumia 900 came out.