Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By anodynamic
  • 1 Post By snowmutt
  • 2 Post By snowmutt
  • 1 Post By crystal_planet

I've been following Insideris for a while and they have unveiled two nuggets about the next version of windows and windows phone

WINDOWS 9 AND WINDOWS PHONE 9: FINGERPRINT SHORTCUTS
    Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9: Fingerprint Shortcuts

However, upon learning (see article about apple aquiring AuthenTec ) that Apple has recently acquired a company that specializes in fingerprints, there is no turning back now because this is pretty much what we have written months ago.

The question is: did Apple also learn about this months ago and hence made a panic purchase?

WINDOWS PHONE 9 AND WINDOWS 9: LIVE TILES V3
    Windows Phone 9 And Windows 9: Live Tiles v3

Lets talk about the Live Tiles.

Currently tiles are great but they can be used in a different, more efficient way.

supposedly the next version will have a hotspot feature on some tiles that will allow even developers to add more specific app behaviors

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    <----waiting for the obligatory "We WP8 users got screwed!!":P
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I just hope that by the time they get WP8 worked out and into the market and leave WP7 behind, they've finally got their game together so it can be a system that is built upon instead of dumped and abandoned every couple of years.

I'm no know it all in the realm of Smartphone OS's, and I may be wrong, but, the others don't make it so that the upgrade to their OS essentially cuts out the previous OS's where apps are concerned. I know they say the WP7 apps will work on WP8 but I'm waiting to see since they've developed it off a different kernel. It just kinda screamed of WM's abandonment.

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
    I just hope that by the time they get WP8 worked out and into the market and leave WP7 behind, they've finally got their game together so it can be a system that is built upon instead of dumped and abandoned every couple of years.

I'm no know it all in the realm of Smartphone OS's, and I may be wrong, but, the others don't make it so that the upgrade to their OS essentially cuts out the previous OS's where apps are concerned. I know they say the WP7 apps will work on WP8 but I'm waiting to see since they've developed it off a different kernel. It just kinda screamed of WM's abandonment.
    They had to cut clear of WP7 to make the platform future proof (the WP8's OS support up to 64 cores cpus), and make it easier for devs to port apps between W8 and WP8, so upgrading shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Yes, well, that was basically the same logic they were selling about moving on from Window Mobile to Windows Phone. Only now we discovered WP7 was just a bandaid and they had planned on WP8 all along. Seriously bad marketing and OS development on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
    Yes, well, that was basically the same logic they were selling about moving on from Window Mobile to Windows Phone. Only now we discovered WP7 was just a bandaid and they had planned on WP8 all along. Seriously bad marketing and OS development on their part.
    No it wasn't.

We always knew there could be a problem if the kernel changed.

WP7 was based on CE.

There was light talk of future integration with Windows 8, but for a seamless integration it would have to have a kernel change. That would match it with full blown Windows. Such a change would guarantee compatibility for many many years into the future.

Windows 7's OS never had such a guarantee. There was just optimistic hope that they'd find a way to be able to find an update process that would allow for a complete kernel change.

The only future proofing with WP7 wasn't with the OS itself. It's the apps. That's why WP7 doesn't allow native code. Instead, apps are built on top of Silverlight or XNA. This allows apps to run on WP8 even with different base code.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    WP7 has been working on the SAME kernels that they created in 1998 for windows CE. 14years ago!!

WP8 will be using BRAND spanking new Kernels meaning that we should not be left behind any more ( for a while)

im glad WP7 got dumped... WP7 is still a GREAT phone and the lack of apps was 100% up to the Developers , even doh they dint have Native coding it dint stop other GREAT AMAZING apps/games to be created....(and are still being created!) all it did was push away LAZY Developers who dint want to waste time making it all work as is.

lack of features also had nothing to do with the Current build of WP7 .... 99.99% of features people wanted where available on WM6.XXX witch ran the SAME system that WP7 currently runs on. MS kinda screwed up here doh.... I dunno how the upgrade from WM6.XX to WP7 went backwards on features ... but w/e

and now im gona worry about W/WP8 and not W/WP9 considering all you see on W/WP9 is 100% speculation!
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 08-26-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    WP7 has been working on the SAME kernels that they created in 1998 for windows CE. 14years ago!!
    Actually, CE dates back to 1996. And WP8 will run on the NT kernel which first was released in 1993. But, in comparison, iOS's Darwin is based on NEXTSTEP, which was released in the late 80's. That in turn was based on BSD, which I believe got started some time in the late bronze age.

/geek
    Gergolos likes this.

Global Posts
    3,383 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by andrelamont View Post
    I've been following Insideris for a while and they have unveiled two nuggets about the next version of windows and windows phone

WINDOWS 9 AND WINDOWS PHONE 9: FINGERPRINT SHORTCUTS

WINDOWS PHONE 9 AND WINDOWS 9: LIVE TILES V3
    Currently tiles are great but they can be used in a different, more efficient way. Supposedly the next version will have a hotspot feature on some tiles that will allow even developers to add more specific app behaviors
    Well, screw WP 8, I am holding out for WP9, which should be out only 36 Months from now.

Obviously, WP8 is already obsolete........
    Confidence: That amazing feeling of motivation you have just before real life shows up....
    Gergolos likes this.

Global Posts
    2,269 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    Well, screw WP 8, I am holding out for WP9, which should be out only 36 Months from now.

Obviously, WP8 is already obsolete........
    are you joking? Who said Wp8 was obsolete? MS never said Wp8 will be obsolete. They even said it won't happen in a long time. even look it up for god sakes

Global Posts
    3,383 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    are you joking? Who said Wp8 was obsolete? MS never said Wp8 will be obsolete. They even said it won't happen in a long time. even look it up for god sakes
    Calm down Danny.... it was Sarcasm... a joke....I swear!!

Gotta remember to put a smiley on the end of those things, huh?
    Confidence: That amazing feeling of motivation you have just before real life shows up....
    scottcraft and Gergolos like this.
    LoL.

Though I think WP9 will be closer to 48 mos from now.

If the things the OP talked about have any truth to them, I would imagine they'd be more about 8.x than 9.

But I haven't seen these rumors anywhere else. So for all we know that site could just be making it up.

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflexx View Post
    LoL.

Though I think WP9 will be closer to 48 mos from now.
    I can't wait that long!!!!
    My next phone...
    snowmutt likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    im glad WP7 got dumped... WP7 is still a GREAT phone and the lack of apps was 100% up to the Developers , even doh they dint have Native coding it dint stop other GREAT AMAZING apps/games to be created....(and are still being created!) all it did was push away LAZY Developers who dint want to waste time making it all work as is.
    You can't be this naive. Developers are people too, you know? They have to pay bills, put food on the table and all that. Once you move outta your momma's basement you will maybe understand it too.

No matter if it's a single independent developer or a company like Instagram, at the end of the day it's a business and it's about investments and returns. Get real.

lack of features also had nothing to do with the Current build of WP7 .... 99.99% of features people wanted where available on WM6.XXX witch ran the SAME system that WP7 currently runs on. MS kinda screwed up here doh.... I dunno how the upgrade from WM6.XX to WP7 went backwards on features ... but w/e
    I think I got eye cancer just from reading that, so I won't even start to attempt to explain this one...
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurrrns View Post
    You can't be this naive. Developers are people too, you know? They have to pay bills, put food on the table and all that. Once you move outta your momma's basement you will maybe understand it too.

No matter if it's a single independent developer or a company like Instagram, at the end of the day it's a business and it's about investments and returns. Get real.

I think I got eye cancer just from reading that, so I won't even start to attempt to explain this one...
    If at some point you have something that not insulting to contribute please do.

Global Posts
    1,033 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blake View Post
    If at some point you have something that not insulting to contribute please do.
    I wouldn't hold my breath...
    My next phone...
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    What windows phone 9 ?
    I wanted to buy Windows phone 8 but that possible false info made my change my mind for now...

Global Posts
    1,725 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    What windows phone 9 ?
    I wanted to buy Windows phone 8 but that possible false info made my change my mind for now...
    So you're gonna wait 3 years for windows phone 9?
    Banned

Global Posts
    604 Global Posts
    Oh 3 years..
    Saw someone saying that it comes in 4 months.
    And this Windows Phone 9 And Windows 9: Live Tiles v3 ......

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaskys View Post
    Oh 3 years..
    Saw someone saying that it comes in 4 months.
    And this Windows Phone 9 And Windows 9: Live Tiles v3 ......
    ...I don't get it.
    You are linking to a blog that guesses what W9 tiles might look. To me that tells absolutely zero thing of the release date.

Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Waiting 36, 48 months from now. . . When you get Windows 9, Windows 10 will be 36, 48 months away. Meanwhile you've missed out on a great experience. Besides isn't your contract up every 36 months or so. Can not live for the future, need to live for today. (in this case). Your fighting a loosing battle if you always want the latest in technology. Unless you know the right people. I myself am currently using a phone found from an alien crash sight, and will always be millions of years ahead of you when it comes to technology. ^√>~
    I'm pretty sure that was a joke...
    MS said no such thing. What MS did say is that WP8 will receive updates for at least 18 months. That is no different from what WP7 is experiencing now. People are just hearing what they want to hear.

WP9 isn't as far off as some believe. Certainly not 36 months.