Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    he we have it folks! although it is still considered rumor until it is officiallly announced, our next samsung windows phone running apollo will be a samsung gs3 device... here it is!

i would personally pick this up over the 900, so hopefully nokia has some tricks up its sleeve! we are still several months away, but the anxiety is killing me!

Samsung Galaxy S III Officially Announced With 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED Screen, Quad-Core Exynos Processor | TechnoBuffalo
    WP Central - Super Member
    Xbox Live GamerTag - Bear lx

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    4.8" screen???? Man, I'm hoping we will still have good options for screens in the 4-4.3" range. Anything above that is just too much for me to handle (get your mind out the gutter, fool! :P)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    ill take the 4'8 screen ,.. but for sure it wont be quad-core
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    samsung surely has its stuff together. they are very intuitive. every year they release a galaxy device ahead of its competition. i strongly feel like this is what we need to succeed. we need manufactures like samsung to be on board, and get us devices like this. from everything ive read, we are getting a gs3 windows phone running apollo later this year, that could very well be my next phone!

Global Posts
    1,325 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    ill take the 4'8 screen ,.. but for sure it wont be quad-core
    just so you know, it really hurt me to say such nice things about sammy... they might have won me over htc , MAYBE! nothing in stone yet-

Global Posts
    2,662 Global Posts
    Dont see the appeal, design wise. Its still basically a shiny plastic slab and the specs will be the same across all WP8 devices so whatever Samsung makes is also possible with Nokia and HTC. I think these two will bring something really special looking for WP8.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,870 Global Posts
    I actually think Samsung's GS3 was a snoozefest. I think the HTC One series as well as our Titan II by HTC are more exciting than the GS3. I say this while having a STRONG dislike for HTC.

RIM's BlackBerry 10 event > Samsung's G3 event

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    The display's still Pentile. :(

I'm sorry Samsung, but this is UGLY! However, an HTC One X with WP8, now that is exciting!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyMaker View Post
    just so you know, it really hurt me to say such nice things about sammy... they might have won me over htc , MAYBE! nothing in stone yet-
    honestly I was wondering why you had even posted this in the first place..

I was like * doesn't he hate Samsung?* lol
    :lol:

but it is a UGLY looking phone , I hope the new Samsung WP8 will look more like the FOCUS (original) I love the look and feel of it. just need a bigger screen and better specs.

I love the *cheap plastic feel* Ive had my focus for 2 years , dropped it more times then I can count and i dont have a single broken thing on it. so its not THAT CHEAP! lol
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 05-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

Who is to say that Samsung would use their top hardware on a Windows phone. Sure they said they would be on board with Windows 8/Apollo, but I haven't heard too much enthusiasm from them yet.

Global Posts
    1,725 Global Posts
    I have a Galaxy Nexus that is 4.6" and I don't think that is too big at all. (It's sitting in my drawer because it has terrible battery life and signal) but I'm really ok with the size. The problem is those damn big screens suck the life out of the battery, especially Android and its free-for-all of apps running all the time.

Global Posts
    1,725 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    The display's still Pentile. :(
    That may be so, but I don't know how anybody could tell. The GNext is pentile but the screen looks pretty damn good, at least for the 10 minutes it stays on until the battery dies. :)

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    You usually can't tell if a display is Pentile until the screen has a lot of white on it. Then it gets a bit noticeable.

Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TK093 View Post
    That may be so, but I don't know how anybody could tell. The GNext is pentile but the screen looks pretty damn good, at least for the 10 minutes it stays on until the battery dies. :)
    I don't know, is it noticeable with such a high pixel density? I've never seen a GNex in person lol.

Global Posts
    1,725 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1Z View Post
    I don't know, is it noticeable with such a high pixel density? I've never seen a GNex in person lol.
    Like Shark87 said, it's supposed to show up more with white. I have always avoided white backgrounds and such because white is supposed to be a battery drainer for amoled. I just pulled it out and looked at some white icons and maybe I can see something.. I dunno.

Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark87 View Post
    You usually can't tell if a display is Pentile until the screen has a lot of white on it. Then it gets a bit noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by TK093 View Post
    Like Shark87 said, it's supposed to show up more with white. I have always avoided white backgrounds and such because white is supposed to be a battery drainer for amoled. I just pulled it out and looked at some white icons and maybe I can see something.. I dunno.
    Lol isn't that annoying then since a lot of websites have a white background?

And what about red? Isn't the Pentile matrix RGBG, so there's less red subpixels? I remember on my DVP, I didn't use red as my theme because of that.

Anyway, I totally expected the display for the SGSIII to be HD SuperAMOLED Plus, with a normal RGB matrix.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Im really hopping for the SUPPER AMOLED HD....the *Plus* is old ;) lol

for sure dual-core is comming.. not quad.

honestly at the end of the day im just hoping for a nice WP that wont run me 1000$ and can actually run the top games decently. :giggle:

Global Posts
    2,761 Global Posts
    Felt like the iPhone 4S announcement all over again
    Nokia Lumia 1020 owner here...

alpinestars1z likes this.

Global Posts
    2,082 Global Posts
    Im really hopping for the SUPPER AMOLED HD....the *Plus* is old ;) lol

for sure dual-core is comming.. not quad.

honestly at the end of the day im just hoping for a nice WP that wont run me 1000$ and can actually run the top games decently. :giggle:
    Lol what you want is HD Super AMOLED Plus. (Too bad it doesn't exist yet)

HD = HD
    Super = ?
    Plus = Not Pentile
    selfcreation likes this.

Global Posts
    1,385 Global Posts
    HTC's One X is a superior device in pretty much every practical way. It's so sad to see Samsung hogging the remainders of the smartphone market's profits left by Apple, despite them doing very little in terms of true innovation and design.
    Last edited by AngryNil; 05-04-2012 at 06:02 AM.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Samsung Alone out sold Apple in the last Quarter... Samsung is actually the biggest Cell phone manufacturer in the world right now...

and they are innovative specially with the AMOLED class screens witch Samsung invented BTW and HTC took from them and even apple is thinking of dropping retna for AMOLED.

im never going back to HTC . if anything im doing wp8 Samsung or WP8 Nokia as my next phone.

Global Posts
    1,385 Global Posts
    Samsung Alone out sold Apple in the last Quarter... Samsung is actually the biggest Cell phone manufacturer in the world right now...

and they are innovative specially with the AMOLED class screens witch Samsung invented BTW and HTC took from them and even apple is thinking of dropping retna for AMOLED.

im never going back to HTC . if anything im doing wp8 Samsung or WP8 Nokia as my next phone.
    Wow, your response makes me so sad.

I was quoting profit share, not market share. Apple owns 73% of smartphone profits, yet you somehow bring up sales numbers for the entire mobile phone business? Say what?

Samsung's screens are about terrible colour reproduction, there used to be much more better colours in OLED screens (see: Zune HD). Mind posting a reputable source to back up your claims of Apple considering AMOLED, and Samsung inventing AMOLED? If not, I'll take it that this site sees it fine to have a moderator spread baseless rumours as fact.

Thanks for providing zero rationale for your avoidance of HTC. If I was told I could get any device on the market right now, it would be the One X. The hardware places it in a better position than Windows Phone devices. It has a better screen and better looks than the Galaxy S III.
    Last edited by AngryNil; 05-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by irlju View Post
    Wow, your response makes me so sad.

I was quoting profit share, not market share. Apple owns 73% of smartphone profits, yet you somehow bring up sales numbers for the entire mobile phone business? Say what?

Samsung's screens are about terrible colour reproduction, there used to be much more better colours in OLED screens (see: Zune HD). Mind posting a reputable source to back up your claims of Apple considering AMOLED, and Samsung inventing AMOLED? If not, I'll take it that this site sees it fine to have a moderator spread baseless rumours as fact.

Thanks for providing zero rationale for your avoidance of HTC. If I was told I could get any device on the market right now, it would be the One X. The hardware places it in a better position than Windows Phone devices. It has a better screen and better looks than the Galaxy S III.
    I'll never buy an HTC device, and that's based on my experience with my HD7. The software, of course, is brilliant, but the camera sucks, the battery life is abhorrent, I have to battery pull almost as much as an android device for various reasons, and despite receiving EVERY individual update for the OS (I've been running 8107 for months) I have yet to receive any support in the way of firmware to address the many, MANY issues plaguing this phone. After seeing how quickly and frequently Nokia has doled out fixes, I will be possibly picking up a 710 to tide me over until an Apollo-powered Pureview device materializes.

Global Posts
    1,385 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    The software, of course, is brilliant, but the camera sucks, the battery life is abhorrent, I have to battery pull almost as much as an android device for various reasons, and despite receiving EVERY individual update for the OS (I've been running 8107 for months) I have yet to receive any support in the way of firmware to address the many, MANY issues plaguing this phone.
    Fair enough, but you have to realise that your device is an old one. The One X does not suffer from terrible battery life or a bad camera, so we'll see how it all turns out come Apollo.

What firmware problems are you facing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast