Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree18Likes
  1. DontHate707's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    345 Posts
       #1  
    just saying, the iphones on all three carriers, the galaxy nexus will be on them all soon. i think consumers would eat these things up! i know if they bring it to sprint im getting one asap.
    lhunter1130 likes this.
  2. 1jaxstate1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,239 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,470 Global Posts
    #2  
    They should do what BlackBerry use to do. Give phones away.

    Also, does this phone have a removable battery?

    Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    Last edited by 1jaxstate1; 01-08-2012 at 08:15 AM.
    Goodbye Dooley! You will NOT be missed!:@
    Bring back the WeeeeeBeeeeaaarrrr
  3. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by DontHate707 View Post
    just saying, the iphones on all three carriers, the galaxy nexus will be on them all soon. i think consumers would eat these things up! i know if they bring it to sprint im getting one asap.
    I agree 100%. Nokia needs to do what samsung did with the galaxy line and have it on every carrier. That is the only way it will really take off, otherwise it will be lackluster sales at best.
  4. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #4  
    While I agree in principal, one carrier didn't hurt iPhone much for the first few years. Nor Droid in the beginning for that matter. If it's good, they will come.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  5. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    While I agree in principal, one carrier didn't hurt iPhone much for the first few years. Nor Droid in the beginning for that matter. If it's good, they will come.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    IPhone is once a year and android was always on other carriers and became more proliferent after the Droid campaign.
  6. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    #6  
    The carriers have to want them. Giving a deal to a large footdragger, (VZW), won't make the ones who've given good support all along real happy.
  7. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    #7  
    I'm surprised how many don't seem to get it.

    Carriers don't want Windows Phones or are not ready to do any work to get it sold. Of course Nokia or any other WP manufacturer wants to sell them as widely as possible, but that's not simply possible yet.

    Nokia has given exclusivity to At&t and probably given with MS some incentives to get the phone for At&t and that "hero" status. It needs to start from somewhere and time will tell if it's this.
    justop26 likes this.
  8. #8  
    This is AT&T's baby. Don't be surprised to see AT&T announce the 900 and not Nokia...
  9. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas View Post
    This is AT&T's baby. Don't be surprised to see AT&T announce the 900 and not Nokia...
    Any hints on pricing of the 900? I'm really hoping they don't pull a Verizon and charge $300 since it is LTE. I have hope since the Vivid is only $199 and its LTE and the Skyrocket is $250.
  10. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    The carriers have to want them. Giving a deal to a large footdragger, (VZW), won't make the ones who've given good support all along real happy.
    But it would giver verizon a little incentive. There is no ifs ands or buts about it, if wp is not widely available on all carriers it has no chance against android and ios that is on every carrier. Most will not switch simply for a phone so if their carrier only gets low end wp most will not even give wp a look.
  11. DontHate707's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    345 Posts
       #11  
    Nokia and MS could persuade sprint and version easily if they wanted to. I mean the evidence that windows phone are the highest rated phones on the market by consumers. People buy these phones and love them. People from sprint and version just need a better choice and the 900 is definitely it.
  12. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DontHate707 View Post
    Nokia and MS could persuade sprint and version easily if they wanted to. I mean the evidence that windows phone are the highest rated phones on the market by consumers. People buy these phones and love them. People from sprint and version just need a better choice and the 900 is definitely it.
    That is exactly. MS and Nokia could easily persuade these carriers yet it seems like they do not care enough to try and get all the carriers on board.
  13. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    That is exactly. MS and Nokia could easily persuade these carriers yet it seems like they do not care enough to try and get all the carriers on board.
    There are good reasons that Verizon and Sprint haven't been on board yet. Verizon is the House that Droid built. They have said they wanted a third EcoSystem for competitiveness and that until this fall, they thought it would be Blackberry. Well, now they don't think it will be Blackberry, but it takes time to get phones on a carrier. Verizon has said that if MS wants WP on their network, LTE is a must. Well that is coming now, and their are LTE HTC and Samsung devices rumored that very well could end up on Verizon, I believe they will.

    As for Sprint, they are a small carrier and cannot push a new OS. Palm tried to launch with sprint, and the Pre was Sprints biggest launch up to that date and the OS still failed. Sprint learned from that and now they stick with affordable, proven platforms. WP has to be popular BEFORE Sprint will pick it up in any meaningful way.

    If AT&T is able to make people want WP, Verizon will pick it up. If Verizon picks it up, Sprint will as well because costs of CDMA variants will drop due to production scale. That is what happened with the iPhone, and with Android (though it was Verizon that made it popular and ATT and Sprint picked it up). It always starts with one carrier.
    Residing likes this.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Any hints on pricing of the 900? I'm really hoping they don't pull a Verizon and charge $300 since it is LTE. I have hope since the Vivid is only $199 and its LTE and the Skyrocket is $250.
    I heard a rumor it was coming in at 249. I think this is a really bad idea if it turns out to be true. This phone needs to be 199 and not a penny more or people that are not already fans of WP are not going to buy it when they can get an iPhone 4s for cheaper.
  15. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus1313 View Post
    I heard a rumor it was coming in at 249. I think this is a really bad idea if it turns out to be true. This phone needs to be 199 and not a penny more or people that are not already fans of WP are not going to buy it when they can get an iPhone 4s for cheaper.
    I am interested to see if they keep the next iphone at the $199 base price or if they raise the price since apple is so much of a control dictator. I think that could determine what price future lte windows phones come in at.
  16. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchus1313 View Post
    I heard a rumor it was coming in at 249. I think this is a really bad idea if it turns out to be true. This phone needs to be 199 and not a penny more or people that are not already fans of WP are not going to buy it when they can get an iPhone 4s for cheaper.
    I agree. As much as I want the 900, it would be a really tough buy for me at $250. $199 would be a good, fair price. I don't think they can justify charging $250 for a phone that isn't dual core or have a high res display, both of which cost $$ to equip a phone with, when you can get a dual core LTE high res display phone for the same price or less.
  17. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,262 Posts
    #17  
    The 900 can be pretty big with AT&T alone. And early on, that exclusivity may actually help it rather than hurt it.

    There's going to be a very strong ad push by Nokia, MS, and AT&T. People will know about the 900. There will be a buzz. And just like the iPhone and Droid before it, not everyone will be able to get it easily.

    It will be a phone that is only attainable if you belong to the exclusive AT&T club. And AT&T will make sure you know that.
  18. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    The 900 can be pretty big with AT&T alone. And early on, that exclusivity may actually help it rather than hurt it.

    There's going to be a very strong ad push by Nokia, MS, and AT&T. People will know about the 900. There will be a buzz. And just like the iPhone and Droid before it, not everyone will be able to get it easily.

    It will be a phone that is only attainable if you belong to the exclusive AT&T club. And AT&T will make sure you know that.
    But with all the ads and it only being on at&t Nokia will lose sales from someone who is on one of the other carriers and would buy the phone if it was available right away. Exclusivity may seem like a good thing but it limits the possible # of consumers who could and would purchase the device. WP needs all the subscribers it can get and coming out with a phone of high end specs like the ace on only one carrier is foolish.
  19. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,262 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    But with all the ads and it only being on at&t Nokia will lose sales from someone who is on one of the other carriers and would buy the phone if it was available right away. Exclusivity may seem like a good thing but it limits the possible # of consumers who could and would purchase the device. WP needs all the subscribers it can get and coming out with a phone of high end specs like the ace on only one carrier is foolish.
    I think the buzz might be more important than total sales and availability for now. Scarcity can be beneficial in a marketing sense.

    The exclusivity enabled it to get Hero status on AT&T. That means an advertising push as well as sales incentives. If it was available everywhere, that wouldn't happen. It would be treated as just another phone on all the carriers. There would be no reason for a carrier to spend a lot of money pushing it because people could buy it elsewhere.

    Being on one carrier and getting focus is better than all carriers and no special treatment.
  20. Premium1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    443 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,521 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    I think the buzz might be more important than total sales and availability for now. Scarcity can be beneficial in a marketing sense.

    The exclusivity enabled it to get Hero status on AT&T. That means an advertising push as well as sales incentives. If it was available everywhere, that wouldn't happen. It would be treated as just another phone on all the carriers. There would be no reason for a carrier to spend a lot of money pushing it because people could buy it elsewhere.

    Being on one carrier and getting focus is better than all carriers and no special treatment.
    I don't know about it just being given hero status doing anything for it. It isn't the iphone so unless you are on at&t or visit sites like these, most will never know about the phone no matter how many commercials air, if they can't actually see it when they go in store, then yes the advertising and sales incentives will help for at&t but that is about it.
  21. Dr.Phil's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    147 Posts
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by DontHate707 View Post
    just saying, the iphones on all three carriers, the galaxy nexus will be on them all soon. i think consumers would eat these things up! i know if they bring it to sprint im getting one asap.
    You seem to think that Google and Apple were responsible for the Nexus and the iPhone to be available on multiple carriers. It's not a one-sided deal. The carrier has to agree to offer a phone on their network. Verizon and Sprint both WANTED the iPhone on their networks because they saw the major cash revenue AT&T was making off of it. All of the carriers wanted the Nexus because they saw how much consumers wanted the device (AT&T asked on their Google Plus page whether people would be interested in the device. They don't just ask those things for nothing. It is to help them see whether a device would be good or not to offer.) The point is, carriers aren't seeing the major gain offering Windows Phones. They don't bring in the volume of consumers that other OS' do. This will, of course, change. Apple's iPhone and Google's Nexus weren't always hugely desired by the carriers. The Nexus was only offered on T-Mobile and then Sprint (and AT&T only through Best Buy and after months of it already being offered) got the Nexus S. It wasn't until this recent Galaxy Nexus that the carriers really wanted to offer it on their network. The same is going to go for Windows Phone. The Nokia 900 may be offered on other carriers or it may not. People who really want the device will switch carriers to get it, just like they did the iPhone when it was on AT&T for years. We can't really know how much a carrier would want these new devices until they actually hit the market and the other carriers look to AT&T to see how well they sell. So, my point is, the future of Windows Phone relies more on AT&T and how well they market the device as well as how many AT&T customers want the device.
    Residing likes this.
  22. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,262 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    I don't know about it just being given hero status doing anything for it. It isn't the iphone so unless you are on at&t or visit sites like these, most will never know about the phone no matter how many commercials air, if they can't actually see it when they go in store, then yes the advertising and sales incentives will help for at&t but that is about it.
    Can we agree that Hero status (which includes sales incentives that make reps actually want to recommend the phone) is better than not having Hero status?

    I have to disagree about nobody knowing about the phone no matter how many commercials air. If there's enough advertising, people will hear about it. People will know.

    And if it helps for AT&T, then that means it helps for MS and Nokia. If AT&T has any exclusivity with the phone, they will take any success and try to push that into bigger success.

    Then maybe with WP8 we'll see high end phones on all carriers. Or maybe not. If exclusivity yields enough success for AT&T, they might pay for more exclusivity.

    But the cool thing if you're another carrier is that WP isn't exclusive to Nokia. So if AT&T gets success with its hero phone, then Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mo could push for companies like HTC and Samsung to step it up.

    In the end, it might mean better devices all around.
    Residing and jdevenberg like this.
  23. jdevenberg's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,037 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,501 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    I don't know about it just being given hero status doing anything for it. It isn't the iphone so unless you are on at&t or visit sites like these, most will never know about the phone no matter how many commercials air, if they can't actually see it when they go in store, then yes the advertising and sales incentives will help for at&t but that is about it.
    The way the iPhone became so famous was that AT&T gave it hero status. No matter how you want to slice it, a high end phone with $100,000,000 marketing budget, given hero status is good news for windows phone. AT&T has to think that windows phone has a chance to agree to this. Even though they aren't putting in much of the marketing budget, they don't want to tie their name in such a huge way to a crappy phone running an OS they think is crappy.
    theefman and Residing like this.
  24. #24  
    Nokia is in no position to make demands, they have no leverage right now. They have even less leverage over AT&T than Pantech (what does that tell you?). They want to re-establish a marketshare in the U.S. market. In order to do so, they have to make concessions to the carriers.

    Here's a basic run-down:

    NOK: Hey, AT&T, we have these phones that we are thinking about producing, do any of them interest you?

    ATT: Hmmm, yes, there is one phone on your product planning roadmap that may interest us, tell us more about it.

    NOK: Well, it has blah blah blah, blah blah blah, and blah blah blah.

    ATT: Well, we like the phone, but we want it to look like blah blah blah, we want you to disable blah blah blah, we want you to add blah blah blah, and most of all, we want exclusitivity on this phone.

    Then they hash it out for the next year or so as the phone gets developed. Do not underestimate the demands that carriers will make, something as simple as "we want it in AT&T blue" is a make it or break it proposition, especially if the phone manufacturer has no leverage. If any of you are familiar w/ the Nokia X7, then that's a good example of something that went horribly bad in the final hour before it was to launch w/ AT&T. And that phone was in the works for at least a year and a half.

    The iphone was different. All the carriers thought it was a bad idea and slammed the door on el jefe, but the then CEO of Cingular Wireless took a giant risk and signed up for it. Neither party, Cingular nor Apple, had leverage over the other. It wasn't until the iphone shot off like a rocket into space that Apple had AT&T by where the sun don't shine. That relationship was love & hate. AT&T loved the iphone cash cow, but hated the leverage Apple had over them.

    Similar deal w/ Android. AT&T loves the Android cash cow, but hates the problems that the OS introduced to the company.

    That's why I sez, AT&T is secretly rooting for Nokia and WP7 (and I didn't come up w/ conclusion, either...). But they expect something in return that starts with $. So if they think an exclusivity to Ace is going to give them that initial ROI bump, then they will demand it and it will be non-negotiable.

    Let's get another thing straight. Carriers don't make money off of subsidized phone sales. They make money off of new contracts and renewals. A customer that leaves VZW for AT&T because of a phone means exactly that -- +1 for AT&T and -1 for VZW in the accounting books. Kick your competitor in the nads while going up one stair at the same time.
    Reflexx, Residing and tissotti like this.
  25. DroBoy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    #25  
    Well its ATT exclusive, sucks..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions