Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi guys,

I have read some post that in June 2012 there will be tablets with Windows 8, but the post didn't say will that be the same Windows Phone OS 8 aka Apollo or some new version only for tablets? What do you think?

Article about this news: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-june-2012.ars
    Last edited by martin_strahilovski; 11-20-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Global Posts
    1,438 Global Posts
    Will likely be the same OS version as the Phone since they will both probably be running on ARM CPUs not x86 like the desktop versions of win8.

That is a horrible rendering or that screen is as curved as an arena roof.

Global Posts
    2,190 Global Posts
    I am waiting on getting a tablet for windows 8 Nokia may be making them

Actually, Windows desktop OS now runs on ARM CPUs, too. That was demoed this year. Just my 2 cents.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    I can see getting a tablet if it's around the $200 mark, but anything more than that you just kinda go "What are you really using it for?" You can't really take notes with them or type that good on them like a netbook or laptop, so I can't see it being used for that. Not to mention you would have to hold it at an angle in order to type on it. Idk, again if it was $200-$300 then yeah that's fine.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    first of all its not a *tablet* its a *SLAB* i know it weird but there’s a reason.. ( i saw the the word SLAB in a Microsoft review at the start of the year , thats what they called it HAHA )

its gona be running a FULL version of the Windows 8 OS. just like a PC..... thats why its not a TABLET , its the evolution of a tablet. ( i know , in the end its still a TABLET, just like they call cellphones --> Smartphones, and now --> SUPERPHONES , LOL )

and that’s why MS is expected to have the best Ecosystem compared to an Ipad witch doesn’t run LYON ( mac`s current OS )

and honestly dont expect it to be under 500$ specially a *slab* with a FULL PC OS.

i would pay 500$ for a FULL Windows OS SLAB ,but would never pay 500$ for an Ipod on crack (Ipad)
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 11-22-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,759 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    ...and honestly dont expect it to be under 500$ specially a *slab* with a FULL PC OS...
    I agree, the price will be over $500. I see Asus has their new tablet running Android available for preorder on Amazon and it's not cheap, 32GB version of the Transformer Prime for $492.20, or the 64GB version for $584.22.

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-t...reorder-amazon
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

The HP Touchpad firesale and the Kindle Fire have probably killed the $500+ tablets for anything that doesn't start with an i. Tablets running full PC OS have been around for a decade and nobody bought them. The folks who buy tabs don't want full PC functions, Apple understands that, which is why there is an iPad market, not a tablet market.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    The HP Touchpad firesale and the Kindle Fire have probably killed the $500+ tablets for anything that doesn't start with an i. Tablets running full PC OS have been around for a decade and nobody bought them. The folks who buy tabs don't want full PC functions, Apple understands that, which is why there is an iPad market, not a tablet market.
    FULL PC tablet have been around for a Decade??? hmmmm

id like to see your 10 year old FULL PC OS TABLET running windows ME

i never got an Ipad cause its just a glorified Ipod with a bigger screen. im sure if APPLE would make a LYON OS Ipad ... all current Ipads would hit the trash can.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!

I recollect the Microsoft Tablet PC coming out around 2002 or 2003 running XP, and remember seeing many others aimed at the business crowd since. Possible that tab users want desktop features, but I think don't think they want to carry around a lot of stuff they never use.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    well i find it unlikely , cause Ipad came out what 4-5years ago? and that was revolutionary.. and nothing like it had ever been done... i might be wrong i dunno , i ran searches and i can’t find anything aside from WINDOWS 7 tablets..

maybe you saw a CONCEPT tablet that MS might have wanted to make...

Seems longer, but the iPad was released in April 2010. I saw tabs, called slates in stores before that. I think you're right though, it will be interesting to see what Windows 8 does with the tablet.

The Windows slates will be awesome. Having the power of a full-featured desktop OS will be awesome. Or there's the option with just using the ARM version, which still offers a full OS, but without backward compatibility.

The best part though is that Windows 8 is built with touch in mind as the primary input mechanism. It's not something that's just added on top like it was with Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Will likely be the same OS version as the Phone since they will both probably be running on ARM CPUs not x86 like the desktop versions of win8.

That is a horrible rendering or that screen is as curved as an arena roof.
    Windows 8 is a touch-centric OS. The rendering is from the start screen of Windows 8.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reflexx View Post
    The best part though is that Windows 8 is built with touch in mind as the primary input mechanism. It's not something that's just added on top like it was with Windows 7.
    yeah thats a good thing for sooooooooo many reasons....

it hinkt he big one is that people tempting to go to MAC in the Entertainment business will be turned more towards PC because of it all...(instead of being owned by APPLE )
    like dunno if you noticed but allot of the NEWS channel use touch screens (windows 7 ) this is just gona continue MS to grow in the right direction

16.    #16  
    With the Metro UI for Slates! Precious! I think that this is the right time to want slate running Windows OS 8!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_strahilovski View Post
    With the Metro UI for Slates! Precious! I think that this is the right time to want slate running Windows OS 8!
    yeah gona be sick

i just cant wait for Windows 8 slate + Xbox + WP8 + Windows 8 PC

EEEPPPIIIC!!

PS i know i called it SLAB earlier , i wanted to say SLATE , hehe my bad.

threed61 likes this.

I'm torn about if I want to get an x86 based slate or an ARM based one.

I'm an artist/animator by trade, so it would be cool to sit there on a slate with Photoshop, Maya, and Zbrush. But if the battery life is lower with an x86 slate, then I'm not sure how advantageous that really would be.

I think most of my real work will still be done on a high powered desktop. And so then I may just get an ARM based slate because I'm sure someone will make some type of sketchbook type app to run on it.

The Windows slates will be awesome. Having the power of a full-featured desktop OS will be awesome. Or there's the option with just using the ARM version, which still offers a full OS, but without backward compatibility.

I haven't seen much on Windows 8 slates, I look forward to replacing my Android tab with one. Can you recommend some good articles on how it will work?
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    I'm torn about if I want to get an x86 based slate or an ARM based one.

I'm an artist/animator by trade, so it would be cool to sit there on a slate with Photoshop, Maya, and Zbrush. But if the battery life is lower with an x86 slate, then I'm not sure how advantageous that really would be.

I think most of my real work will still be done on a high powered desktop. And so then I may just get an ARM based slate because I'm sure someone will make some type of sketchbook type app to run on it.
    I myself compose music and in the entertainment area of life ( on the side )

what im gona do is just get the ARM one , having the big one would be useless
    basically:

PC = Composing, editing , MASTERING, even play shows
    SLATE = on the go composition , editing

that’s pretty much it, no way in **** i can run all my side programs to master and engineer the sounds. not to mentions I cant carry around my Studio Monitor speakers.lol

I haven't seen much on Windows 8 slates, I look forward to replacing my Android tab with one. Can you recommend some good articles on how it will work?
    gona be an other 6month before we start seeing any official slates.

all the articles are using ANDROID or WEB OS TABLETS that where modified to BETA test the WINDOWS 8 SLATE OS.

Engaget.com has the best reviews of the actual OS but most of the feature arnt even ready yet. (6 to 12 months )
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 11-22-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thanked by:

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "how it will work."

You could get some good looks if you just go to YouTube and type "windows 8." A developer preview was released a few months ago, so there are a lot of devs playing with it already. And at the Microsoft BUILD conference, MS gave away a bunch of tablets to the developers who attended with a pre-Beta version of Windows 8 on it.

Probably the best thing to watch are the Keynotes from the BUILD conference. It's over 2 hrs for each, but it really is worth checking out. Home - BUILD | September 13 - 16, 2011 | Anaheim Convention Center
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    I myself compose music and in the entertainment area of life ( on the side )

what im gona do is just get the ARM one , having the big one would be useless
    basically:

PC = Composing, editing , MASTERING, even play shows
    SLATE = on the go composition , editing

that’s pretty much it, no way in **** i can run all my side programs to master and engineer the sounds. not to mentions I cant carry around my Studio Monitor speakers.lol
    If the SLATE is primarily going to be for what you are saying then I don't see how you can argue that it would be right for it to be $500. I can buy a $200 netbook and do on the go composition and editing. So, what else are you going to use it for? Apps? That's what you have a smartphone for.

Also, the argument about Tablet PCs coming out before the iPad: there was. Microsoft defined a Tablet PC in 2001. There were several tablet PCs to come out before the iPad such as the HP tx1000. Why weren't they seen as revolutionary? Because they were just windows running on a screen that you could touch. There wasn't "apps" or anything that made them stand out. Doesn't mean there wasn't a tablet PC before the iPad. So, anyone who says there wasn't is just plain wrong. Now, the reason they call these new devices "slates" is because a tablet pc had a keyboard attached to it, while the slate will not have an attached keyboard.

Also, you were mentioning the ASUS tablet costing $500. The CEO of Nvidia just stated a few days ago that he expects Tegra 3 tablets to cost under $300 by mid-2012. That's a quad-core chip for under $300.

NVIDIA CEO throws Asus under the bus, says tablets could be under $300 soon

Maybe you guys have $500 to spend on whatever, but for me I wouldn't consider one unless I was in the market and I was shopping between a high-end netbook and that.

I like Microsoft's approach to this eco-system and I look forward to the working between a PC, xbox, and WP7 (errr WP8 by that time). However, I don't see the usage of adding a slate in that for $500.

I could see the x86 slates that are over $500 being laptop replacements. Fully featured OS. Completely backward compatible.

You could have a docking station at home complete with a keyboard and a USB 3.0 external hard drive. But when you want to just want to take it on the go, you can leave the keyboard and extra drive at home.

In effect, it is two devices in one.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    yeah if the x86 vershion *replaces* my lap top , id be more then OK with it .. and would pay the 500$++

as for the HP tx1000 being a slate , it really isnt , i was just a gimic rotating screen on a laptop with the first touch technologie.... doesnt compare to a Tablet/slate that are out or comming out in the market now a dayz.

25.    #25  
    I could see the x86 slates that are over $500 being laptop replacements. Fully featured OS. Completely backward compatible.

You could have a docking station at home complete with a keyboard and a USB 3.0 external hard drive. But when you want to just want to take it on the go, you can leave the keyboard and extra drive at home.

In effect, it is two devices in one.
    And the implementation of the slates in near future will be huge, in the hospitals and other branches, lets say in schools for example. I know that in near future, tablets and slates will be primary in research and development, medicine, and other branches of daily life.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast