Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    yeah, DaHui623, I was going to mention it but you beat me to the punch lol. Usually my phone would last for around 2 days normally, now I can barely get a day out of it. I don't know why, I made sure to turn off background tasks so unfortunately I might go back to 7.5 just because of the battery drain.
    okay so from what I can discern its a live tile problem where on 7.5 if a rogue live tile kept trying to pull data wp7.5 would shut it off where 7.8 will not. I saw that my battery estimator gave me 11 hours left, now that I unpinned my weather tile and stopped it from running a live tile and any live tile that I didn't find absolutely necessary, like baconit, my battery indicator doubled my battery life instantly. I also turned off bing wallpaper, so I don't know what is causing the problem but it seems to be out of those apps...

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Ridemyscooter86, I had been suffering from reduced battery life for a while, unfortunately. But this is different. I can be at 50-60% battery and my phone will randomly shut itself off while in use. I have to do a battery pull to get it to turn back on and it will sound the "critically low battery" sound and immediately turn right back off. Then I can plug it in and turn it on and the battery indicator will be right back up to 60%. I'm assuming bad battery and I ordered a new one the other day.

As for the rogue live tiles, that is really lame. The whole point of upgrading to 7.8 was to get the new start screen and be able to pin more tiles. Oh well...

I'm not seeing any difference in battery life w/ the 7.8 update, but in recent months I've noticed battery life has been declining significantly. I think the battery is just getting worn out. Too bad the Focus S was such a flop, there's not an extended replacement battery available anywhere. Not much longer and I'll be ditching the WP for a Nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post
    Ridemyscooter86, I had been suffering from reduced battery life for a while, unfortunately. But this is different. I can be at 50-60% battery and my phone will randomly shut itself off while in use. I have to do a battery pull to get it to turn back on and it will sound the "critically low battery" sound and immediately turn right back off. Then I can plug it in and turn it on and the battery indicator will be right back up to 60%. I'm assuming bad battery and I ordered a new one the other day.
    I've been having this exact same problem lately.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by a4dp View Post
    I've been having this exact same problem lately.
    I got my new battery in Thursday. After the first full charge I didn't charge again until it died and shut the phone off, 27 hours later. A huge improvement over the 8-10 I was getting and no unexpected shutoff.

The old battery was a little "swollen" in the middle so I'm pretty sure that was the culprit.

On AT&T. Did the cable pull trick. Worked for me. Other then the re-sizable tiles haven't seen much difference one way or the other. Still use my focus s as my daily driver mainly because it has an FM RADIO (hint, hint MS.) which I use daily.

Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Hey hoj1955, did you get any Samsung firmware update doing that?

Updated Focus S to the new today 7.8 8860 build. I used the updated 7.8er tool. Seems to work the same as before, but then I didn't notice any problems with the original 7.8.

I don't believe the firmware updated, but to be honest I wasn't looking at that. It's currently 2103.11.10.1. My phone also updated to 8862 via Zune this weekend by the way. Seems to scroll as smoothly as my 820 now and the apps seem to load and run a little smoother and quicker with the update.

I haven't updated to .8862 yet, still on the .8858, but my firmware looks a bit newer, 2103.12.05.2
    I haven't seen any firmware updates for my phone since I did Tango.

I assume that the normal update method still doesn't yield anything for any of you guys, correct?

Nothing seeping through the AT&T update firewall. Dead last in customer service yet again.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Im back on my focus s while my 920 is in for repair (which will be a long time since there is a large backlog on screen replacements.)

I'd really like to get 7.8 on my focus s while i wait, I'd be willing to try any tricks but it looks like everything out there is PC only. does anyone know if the cable trick works on Mac or of any methods for force updating to windows 7.8 via a Mac?

cgold1 - The 7.8er utility makes the upgrade easy, but it is a Windows app (and requires Zune software). Do you have any access to a pc?

The 8862 build seems to be working fine for me.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I just plugged in my phone to my computer and the Zune software says my phone software is 7.1 (8773). I have it for ATT. How do I upgrade it to 7.8?

I loaded 7.8 this weekend. I used the 78er utility, and everything went very well!
    It took longer than I expected, but nothing truly alarming...so just be patient as it progresses through the steps!

I love the extra size tile...I actually didn't know that a tiny e-mail tile would still show a count of my new messages!
    I actually went out and looked for more apps that had good live tiles to add to my home screen!

I now understand the complaint about the music controls automatically appearing when I unlock my phone though. Doesn't bother me...yet...but now I understand what others have complained about.

The "steel" theme color is awesome...and if you haven't tried it with a white background...do it! It looks awesome. Not sure what impact it will have on battery life though.

Select all languages. Works fine

My wife still has the Focus S and rarely sync's it to Zune so I did it for her today and am truly amazed that AT&T and Samsung haven't rolled out the 7.8 update for this phone yet. Unbelievable. I guess I'll try the cable disconnect trick and see how that goes. I don't want to use this 78er utility unless I absolutely have to, because she won't be able to fix anything that goes wrong and I'll have to figure it out :-).

78er worked great on Focus S. Used it twice (phone got water damaged, got a new motherboard from a broken screen phone on ebay) and both times worked perfectly, up to the newest build. Great battery life each time too with a year old OEM battery from ATT ($30). No background apps running, 15 hours easy with normal use
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123