Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    i'm in the same about as you guys

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Ill look into it tonight, and update you all if I find anything useful...

I installed all listed languages on seven eighter app -- ATT Focus S / SIM unlocked. It was hard to match languages since the list on the seven eighter app was not sorted. My phone seems to work ok. Where would I see problems if I picked wrong languages? If nothing else, try the seven eighter with all languages. If you need to restore, you will have a pre-7.8er backup that shows up on Zune.

Quote Originally Posted by ben55124 View Post
    I installed all listed languages on seven eighter app -- ATT Focus S / SIM unlocked. It was hard to match languages since the list on the seven eighter app was not sorted. My phone seems to work ok. Where would I see problems if I picked wrong languages? If nothing else, try the seven eighter with all languages. If you need to restore, you will have a pre-7.8er backup that shows up on Zune.
    When I tried the tool with all languages selected I was updated to 7.8 but only the native apps and functions worked properly. Any installed apps crashed on launch. I restored from backup in zune like you said and now I'm trying to figure out how to update successfully.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben55124 View Post
    Either non native apps will crash on launch, or the live tiles for them will look funky.

edm4life - ok can't help. My 3rd party apps work with all 7.8er languages selected. I have 1 app (Easy Connect) that crashes on launch, but I noticed it also crashes on my L900 that was updated to 7.8 with the Zune trick. The 7.8er app is slick -- too bad it can't query your phone for the correct languages. Then it would be perfect.
    Thanked by:

http://www.wpcentral.com/tool-make-i...-update-easier

Flawless, seamless update of 1st Gen. Samsung Focus v 1.3 (7.10.8107.79) to WP7.8 on Win8 ... Thanks!
    Last edited by Rev1979; 02-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.

I don't have a Focus S, but I happened to see this thread. I noticed that you're all looking at the languages in the "Keyboard" settings, which is wrong. Those aren't the language packs you need to select in the seven-eighter tool. You have to go into "Region+Language" and what you need to install are the languages in the "Display Language" tab.

I.e. on my Nokia Lumia 710 I had English (US), Spanish, and Chinese (Traditional). I also have 37 fonts in the Keyboard settings, but that's not the same as "Region+Language"

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rideboarder View Post
    I don't have a Focus S, but I happened to see this thread. I noticed that you're all looking at the languages in the "Keyboard" settings, which is wrong. Those aren't the language packs you need to select in the seven-eighter tool. You have to go into "Region+Language" and what you need to install are the languages in the "Display Language" tab.

I.e. on my Nokia Lumia 710 I had English (US), Spanish, and Chinese (Traditional). I also have 37 fonts in the Keyboard settings, but that's not the same as "Region+Language"
    The instructions by the creator of the 7eighter tool say to look in the keyboard section of settings. That is why we are going off of that.

Go figure! It doesn't really explain all that much about which language packs to use on windowsphonehacker (Want Windows Phone 7.8 now? Try this easy tool (Update: Now supports 7720) - Windows Phone Hacker). it really doesn't make sense to install a whole language pack for just the keyboard fonts.

Either way I just know it worked on the 710 with installing just the display fonts. No error messages. I'm still able to use the keyboard languages just fine. (I swap between German / English all the time) But of course every phone could be different.

Quote Originally Posted by rideboarder View Post

I have 22 languages installed under display languages on my locked AT&T Focus S:
    Samsung Focus S Display Languages - Imgur
    Do these languages correspond to those in the seveneighter tool? Should I try updating by selecting only my default language in the tool (English US)?

So is anyone having luck with the zune force trick? Yesterday, i was able to get all updates through this way on my locked phone but not the final 7.8 update. Forced zune seems to have stopped working at this point. Any advice? Thanks!

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky109 View Post
    So is anyone having luck with the zune force trick? Yesterday, i was able to get all updates through this way on my locked phone but not the final 7.8 update. Forced zune seems to have stopped working at this point. Any advice? Thanks!
    Doesn't work for me. I have a SIM unlocked phone, but not an interop-unlock.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Doesnt work for me either, though a family member did the trick on their lumia and it works first time...

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hi I have the focus S and was patiently waiting for the update....but got tired of waiting and did the seven-eighter worked flawlessly. I also did on the htc surround worked flawlessly on that also.....no more waiting...took about 20 mins at most.....very easy....I'll put the link ....Vibbareno
    New tool helps make installing the Windows Phone 7.8 update slightly easier | Windows Phone Central

PS: select all the languages and then let it go.....do not disconnect until the very end when it says congrats you are updated......because looks like at one point its done but it's not the computer will tell you when it's done.
    Last edited by Vibbareno; 02-09-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added. Note

Forced it with seveneighter....took 45 minutes.......3 phone reboots..... no issues with live tiles....installed all language packs..... works beautifully althought a tad less responsive than 7.5,... Let it run until it done, you will think it's hung, but the software will tell you when it's finished.

I updated from windows phone hacker.

hi gang.. running a locked AT&T Samsung focus, rev 1.3. was unable to get the wp7.8 update via the zune force trick (this worked on all previous updates).
    tried for days, just would not pick it up...

in process of trying the seven-eighter right now.. will let you know results..
    selected all languages.... is taking a long time.. waiting...

OK it finished, took a couple hours, and several (like 5) phone reboots. running wp7.8 just fine now.
    all data was retained, music, photos, email, txt, etc. quite the nice tool and glad it worked so well. Be patient, took quite a while. just let the Seven-Eighter do its thing.
    Last edited by rwmadmin; 02-12-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Hey everyone, you should be selecting all of the languages. But if you are worried, these are all of the ones that were on my ATT - Locked - Mango - Focus S

X Chinese Traditional
    X Chinese Simplified
    X Czech
    X Danish
    X Dutch (Netherlands)-
    X English (United States)
    X English (United Kingdom)
    X Finnish
    X French (France)
    X German
    X Greek
    X Hungarian
    X Italian
    X Japanese
    X Korean
    X Norwegian
    X Polish
    X Portuguese (Portugal)
    X Portuguese (Brazil)
    X Russian
    X Spanish
    X Swedish

If you'd like to ask Samsung WTF is up with the lack of official updates, post your frustrations on their Facebook pages
    https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileUSA
    https://www.facebook.com/samsungsupport

Response from Samsung:

Hey_______ -- we don’t have any information on this update right now, but please check back for news!
    I know it's not the original Focus, but I was able to update my Focus Flash using "7.8er".

I ran into an error the first time I tried, but after reverting back to my initial version, because it failed after a the 2nd phase of the update, and selecting "All" of the language packs (only selected one initially) it updated and runs fine.

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I keep getting update unsuccessful error...

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Finally got updated!! Turns out I had tried to update, and then canceled mid way before, thinking the application had hung up, and feared it would crash my phone.

I reverted to my last backup, which 78er had taken earlier this month, and tried again with all languages, and wahlah!! Good to go!

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Is anyone else having serious battery issues? I often go from 40% to 0 in the blink of an eye. Then charge it for a few minutes and be back up to 60%. I've ordered a new battery and hope it will help. But it seems like the OS isn't correctly syncing with the battery.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast