Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eric The Fruit Bat

So, Samsung's diagnosis app is a treasure trove!

So I started diagnosis app (dial ##634#),

Hm... password box... *#0011#? *bingo!*

Pressed back by accident. I see a UMTS menu. Interesting...

Tapped "1", saw an option called "phone control" listed as number "8". Wow, wonder what this could be?

Tapped "8", at number 7, there is an option for "Network Control". Bingo! Finally a way to force 3G like on my previous Lumia 920?

Tapped "7", at number 2, there is an option called "Band Selection". :( My network uses multiple bands for 3G. No such luck forcing 3G. :'( Well let's see what else we got here. *taps "2"*

wp_ss_20130814_0003.png

"Well what do we have here... WCDMA Band Preference... GSM Band Preference... wait... is that what I think it is? NUMBER 4 IS LTE BAND PREFERENCE?!?! Could this just be a software glitch? Hm... lets try it out! *taps number 4". Wow! LTE bands 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 17, 20!! Or ALL LTE BANDS!! *taps all LTE bands*"

wp_ss_20130814_0004.png

Current band setting: ALL LTE BANDS!! WOW! LEMME TEST IT OUT- oh wait, this version of Windows Phone does not have LTE enabled .

wp_ss_20130814_0005.png

So there is a possibility that the Samsung ATIV S has LTE, just that it has been disabled? (like the Lumia 810 on T-Mobile). If it's true, Samsung can re-enable this with a software update. If you guys are gonna say "Thats probably just the same diagnosis app installed on all ATIV S'es, including the LTE version" but the Canadian ATIV S IIRC only uses the 700MHz band, while this is has Hepta-Band LTE?

AWESOME!!
    Hit the "thanks" button if you thought the post above was helpful!

[HR][/HR]
    Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370
    Firmware: 2424.12.12.3
    ROM: UK OPEN
    Network: StarHub
    Dev Unlocked: ✔
    (sighs...)

Careful with your analysis there, dude-not all Canadain carriers are Band 17-SaskTel (which is who provisioned my SGH-T899M) is Band 4, and the FCC only certified the T899M for Band 4.

My phone picked up on T-Mobile's LTE the second they threw the switch on in my market.

The only way to validate whether the hardware is Band 17 capable is with an AT&T LTE-provisioned SIM. In the end, software support don't mean squat if the hardware isn't there-it just leads you down a rabbit hole of your own making.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.

Global Posts
    1,640 Global Posts
    The other thing to remember that it's the T899M variant that has LTE, the i8750 doesn't have LTE as the MSM8620A doesn't support it!!!

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Fruit Bat View Post
    (sighs...)

Careful with your analysis there, dude-not all Canadain carriers are Band 17-SaskTel (which is who provisioned my SGH-T899M) is Band 4, and the FCC only certified the T899M for Band 4.

My phone picked up on T-Mobile's LTE the second they threw the switch on in my market.

The only way to validate whether the hardware is Band 17 capable is with an AT&T LTE-provisioned SIM. In the end, software support don't mean squat if the hardware isn't there-it just leads you down a rabbit hole of your own making.
    It doesn't work with band 17, only band 4. I tried it earlier today with my AT&T SIM hoping I could pick up on some 700 MHz goodness, no such luck.
    Some AT&T markets deploy in Band 4 as they wern't able to get Band 17 licenses; hence the reason why all AT&T LTE phones support both bands. Still won't be of any value if the hardware can't handle Band 17, tho.