Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By IlyaBu
  1. IlyaBu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
       #1  
    Seems T-Mo has been doing some LTE testing in the Seattle area this weekend as I've been getting LTE signal all over town on and off. My ATIV S is originally a Telus model, now unlocked and running on T-Mo. Speeds have been pretty great when getting 3 bars or more, per speed test pic below.

    speedtest.png
    BENNIEV likes this.
  2. Sam Sabri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #2  
    Nice! I'm getting the same speeds on my Lumia 920 from Build down here in socal on T-Mobile. Loving the fast life.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham
  3. PauerSource's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #3  
    Very nice... been getting spotty LTE here in Bellingham, WA too. LTE is so much faster than H+. I have the Bell model from Canada.
  4. #4  
    Awesome! I know some users were wondering about LTE connectivity with T-Mobile. Has anybody been able to get LTE speeds with AT&T?
  5. FricoRico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #5  
    What version number are your phones? I mean, it doesn't really support 4G LTE does it? Atleast I don't see a 4G option in the settings menu with my ATIV S...
  6. IlyaBu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
       #6  
    Yes, it does absolutely support 4G LTE IF you have the Canadian version of the phone, the SGH-T899M. Mine is firmware v 2212.12.12.2 hardware rev 15.3.1.0
  7. FricoRico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #7  
    Do you know if this SGH-T899M differs from any other version, in case of hardware. Because if the hardware isn't really different from the other versions, it must be a software limitation. I've always been wondering why Samsung did not include 4G in every model. The Snapdragon chip they used supports it, which makes me think it's a software limitation.
  8. IlyaBu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
       #8  
    As I understand it, there are two distinctly different hardware versions, the SGH-T899M, which does support LTE, and the I8750 from does not support LTE but only a max of HSDPA 42. The I8750 was being sold unlocked by Expansys for a while, where as the T899M is the one sold by the Canadian carriers.
  9. merdeka04's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #9  
    My phone always shows no service whenever I'm at home, I have to go miles away from the house to obtain signal. - Carmack Moving and Storage
  10. FricoRico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IlyaBu View Post
    As I understand it, there are two distinctly different hardware versions, the SGH-T899M, which does support LTE, and the I8750 from does not support LTE but only a max of HSDPA 42. The I8750 was being sold unlocked by Expansys for a while, where as the T899M is the one sold by the Canadian carriers.
    I'm no hardware tech junkie, but other than the SOC that needs to support it, does an antenna make a difference in supporting 4G? When you look at the new Bluetooth 4.0 announcement for Nokia Lumia phones, it would seem that much of it is actually the firmware activating the features. But I'm not sure about if the same counts for 4G.

    Maybe you know more about the subject?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by FricoRico View Post
    Do you know if this SGH-T899M differs from any other version, in case of hardware. Because if the hardware isn't really different from the other versions, it must be a software limitation. I've always been wondering why Samsung did not include 4G in every model. The Snapdragon chip they used supports it, which makes me think it's a software limitation.
    The hardware for the LTE version has a different wireless chipset...
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  12. GTF696's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #12  
    Can you tell us the settings you used to get LTE to work on T-Mobile?
  13. FricoRico's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    The hardware for the LTE version has a different wireless chipset...
    After extensive searching I'm 99.99% certain that there is NO different hardware for either versions. How do I know? Well I've found a secret menu in the phone that you can get to by ##3282#, after that you can get into another 'dialer' by pressing the back button once. Then when I enter *#8888# and press number 4 in the new menu another menu pops-up. Pressing the on-screen button saying 'Back' brings you to the root menu where you can select 3 for LTE tests, after which you can select 1 for the debug view. It gives me all sorts of information;

    RRC: IDLE, Band1
    WCDMA: IDLE
    RX 10637, RI:-91, CID: 8b3af
    TX: 9687, PSC: 279
    Eclo: -8, RSCP: -99
    VOC: FR FR FR, 0
    L1: PCG_Sleep
    CQI: 0, Sam: 0

    I think ******* Samsung just disabled 4G on most phones, not sure why, but one day I'll find out to how to hack it. Also I think the RI and RSCP values have something to do with the reception, probably some sort of dB value. It changes when I move my phone around and go into the debug menu again.
  14. Antonio Jose's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #14  
    How are you running LTE speeds? I have an unlocked GT-i8750 running on T-Mobile here in philly and it only gets up to HSPA+ It cant be something with the signal because my HTC Radar got 4G LTE with no problem
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Jose View Post
    How are you running LTE speeds? I have an unlocked GT-i8750 running on T-Mobile here in philly and it only gets up to HSPA+ It cant be something with the signal because my HTC Radar got 4G LTE with no problem
    Hi, Antonio. I don't think the i8750 model is capable of LTE. You would need the SGH-T899.
  16. neo158's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,583 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by FricoRico View Post
    After extensive searching I'm 99.99% certain that there is NO different hardware for either versions. How do I know? Well I've found a secret menu in the phone that you can get to by ##3282#, after that you can get into another 'dialer' by pressing the back button once. Then when I enter *#8888# and press number 4 in the new menu another menu pops-up. Pressing the on-screen button saying 'Back' brings you to the root menu where you can select 3 for LTE tests, after which you can select 1 for the debug view. It gives me all sorts of information;

    RRC: IDLE, Band1
    WCDMA: IDLE
    RX 10637, RI:-91, CID: 8b3af
    TX: 9687, PSC: 279
    Eclo: -8, RSCP: -99
    VOC: FR FR FR, 0
    L1: PCG_Sleep
    CQI: 0, Sam: 0

    I think ******* Samsung just disabled 4G on most phones, not sure why, but one day I'll find out to how to hack it. Also I think the RI and RSCP values have something to do with the reception, probably some sort of dB value. It changes when I move my phone around and go into the debug menu again.
    They both use a different SOC. The T899M uses the Qualcomm QSD8650 and the i8750 uses the Qualcomm MSM8260A.

    You can check them both:
    Samsung SGH-T899M Ativ S LTE Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net
    Samsung GT-i8750 Ativ S 16GB Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone get MMS to work with Nokia 920 on FIDO?
    By kittshelby in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM
  2. Will Lumia 920 work with a non-LTE sim?
    By aimulaidni in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2012, 05:05 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM
  4. Any version that works on T-Mo USA?
    By mtmjr90 in forum Nokia Lumia 800
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM
  5. Lumia 900 4G LTE Speed Test Pic (Austin, TX)
    By ganks in forum Nokia Lumia 900
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-29-2012, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions