Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Decan

I have the ATIV S and i am unable to get internet sharing working on it. I checked with my carrier and tethering is enabled. Every time I try it is says Connection not shared, Ther's no mobile data connection to share at the moment.

I used the same sim i had in my Samsung Galaxy 1 and tethering worked, the sim is only 3 months old.

Australia
    TPG is the company i use.
    Tethering is enabled on the account.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Id try a phone reset ( not reboot )
    It worked on my lumia

Dam I so didnt want to do that :(

I'll back up everything and then give it a try.

Well i reset my phone and it deleted everything, even tho i had backed up my apps it did not re-install them again.

It didnt not fix the problem.... most annoying... now i have to setup my phone again.... this is really pissing me off now...
    A soft reset is a little different, so i suggest trying that. Just the power button and volume down for 10 seconds. If that doesn't work, try a hard reset, power, volume down, and camera button for 10 seconds.

Well i just did the hard reset and its still not working.

I was able to restore my apps from the website so thats ok but it only backed up my text messages from 2 weeks ago, anything i had over the last 2 weeks is lost :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Decan View Post

I was able to restore my apps from the website so thats ok but it only backed up my text messages from 2 weeks ago, anything i had over the last 2 weeks is lost :(
    You had to go to email and accounts and sync it before you did that.

Sorry it didn't work though.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Decan View Post

I actually have to RESET my Lumia twice before it finally ask if I want to restore all of my back up. Probably doing another hard reset and directly log in the Microsoft account might actually helps.

Alright I'll give it another go now, one that it did fix was find my phone now works, but it seems wifi is a little funny now.

I'll try another soft reset then a hard reset.

I do love the phone and i do love the os i guess every phone has bugs.

Oh this time when i did a hard reset I logged in and then it asked me to do a restore... I see... i rushed it before because i didnt have reception. its at 6% download now so i will see how it goes. It would be pretty good if it restored how I had my tiles setup.

Its been sitting at 97% for about 5 minutes now :(

Restore failed.... I'll try resetting it again

I just did a soft reset and now all the apps are installing and my lock screen is back :) wow thats impressive.

Update: Internet sharing is still not working. A few apps didnt reinstall, i guess that was the 3% that failed, all settings seem to be back. Ive checked with the phone company a few times and its set correctly, so it must be a windows buy or samsung idk.... will have to wait and see now.
    Last edited by Decan; 03-21-2013 at 07:49 PM.
    unnatixlr8 likes this.
    Might be a firmware issue... I believe the 8X had similar problems in Oct/Nov 2012.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

I just did a test with my SGH-T899M-it works with the 2212..12.12.2 firmware on T-Mobile US

I have the solution :)
    Turns out the issue we are having on all unlocked wp8 is our sim. you need to get a new LTE sim for your phone. using an old sim even with the correct APN it will not work. I have confirmed this on both my ATIVs and my Lumia 920. I am posting this everywhere tonight took me 2 freaking months to figure it out. Enjoy.

HTC 8X TMOBILE

SAME PROBLEM, NOW FIXED

Today I went out and bought a Tmobile htc 8x brand new, got home and come to find out the interenet sharing is blocked by carrier.
    after a lot of research, i decided that instead of borking my phone trying to install a rom, i could try something that worked on my Titan
    I went to the connection setup, instead of tmobile, i chose the walmart mobile.

now it works.

That was on the original rom.
    I just updated, time to check.
    yup it all works still

update killed it, but i was able to get it back.

so, after the update, my little workaround would no longer work, no matter the configuration. so
    RESET PHONE FROM ABOUT MENU
    REBOOT DO ALL THE STANDARD SETTINGS
    GO INTO CONNECTION SETTINGS App
    Select Walmart Mobile
    power down, (through power button slid window)
    power up, click share and its working.
    Last edited by jimwboyd; 03-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Great thank you for the feed back, I will give that a try.

I rang my phone company and they said there is nothing wrong on their end, they dont support the phone so i have to contact samsung..... awesome...

I tried my friends iphone microsim but check this out her microsim was smaller than my sim and her sim did not fit in my ativ s sim slot, so I still couldn't try out that theory of an lte sim in my ativ s and I cannot get my internet sharing to work either, there must be a solution out there!

Quote Originally Posted by jimwboyd View Post
    HTC 8X TMOBILE

SAME PROBLEM, NOW FIXED

Today I went out and bought a Tmobile htc 8x brand new, got home and come to find out the interenet sharing is blocked by carrier.
    after a lot of research, i decided that instead of borking my phone trying to install a rom, i could try something that worked on my Titan
    I went to the connection setup, instead of tmobile, i chose the walmart mobile.

now it works.

That was on the original rom.
    I just updated, time to check.
    yup it all works still

update killed it, but i was able to get it back.

so, after the update, my little workaround would no longer work, no matter the configuration. so
    RESET PHONE FROM ABOUT MENU
    REBOOT DO ALL THE STANDARD SETTINGS
    GO INTO CONNECTION SETTINGS App
    Select Walmart Mobile
    power down, (through power button slid window)
    power up, click share and its working.
    what in the world is "CONNECTION SETTINGS App"??

I've reset the phone, but I don't know where is this app in my HTC 8x. I am using the Walmart Mobile plan. Help please!
    Go to Settings -> access point and make sure your operator in the list is activated and then restart the phone.

A smart bloke here in Australia on the whirlpool forums has found a fix to this problem that worked for me (I'm on the 3/vodafail network). Here is his solution:

To solve this problem, just go to "Setting"->"APN" and untick "Automatic APN", wait a few seconds, then tick "Automatic APN" again. The phone'll ask you to confirm this as it will remove all previous setting and apply the new setting, just click "Yes". After that you can enjoy the network sharing with your Samsung ativ s phone. By the way, I'm using TPG's sim card which is on OPTUS's network.

Full credit to PppQpp on the Whirlpool forum.
    I think it's unreasonable to suggest any type of device reset without first exhausting all other possibilities. A reset should never be the "be all and end all" of troubleshooting options. Please, please be aware of this before you start suggesting resets to anyone as a possible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Becker1 View Post
    I think it's unreasonable to suggest any type of device reset without first exhausting all other possibilities. A reset should never be the "be all and end all" of troubleshooting options. Please, please be aware of this before you start suggesting resets to anyone as a possible solution.
    If you are refering to selecting the auto APN option off and on again, this is not a reset of the phone - it is just re-applying the APN.

I did not reset the phone, I did not turn the phone off and on again.

Aand after 5 months of not having tethering I am very happy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by harky111 View Post
    If you are refering to selecting the auto APN option off and on again, this is not a reset of the phone - it is just re-applying the APN.

I did not reset the phone, I did not turn the phone off and on again.

Aand after 5 months of not having tethering I am very happy about it.
    I'm referring to the initial piece of "advice" in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Becker1 View Post
    I'm referring to the initial piece of "advice" in this thread.
    Ok No probs

Global Posts
    1,663 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noelito View Post
    I tried my friends iphone microsim but check this out her microsim was smaller than my sim and her sim did not fit in my ativ s sim slot, so I still couldn't try out that theory of an lte sim in my ativ s and I cannot get my internet sharing to work either, there must be a solution out there!
    If she has an iPhone 5 then that's a nanoSIM not a microSIM, that's why it's smaller.