Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Quote Originally Posted by tboy2000 View Post
    Your grip is clearly based on holding the phone with your right hand. Most people are right handed and hold the phone with their left hand. The only way to press the power button with the left forefinger is to support the top left corner with the left thumb. Unfortunately the volume buttons are in the way. Thanks for saying we suck. Most kind of you.
    I'm right handed and hold my phone with my right hand most of the time. Thanks for generalizing right handers. :/

Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I may be generalising but it is true. Have seen it with many people as recently had a discussion with friends about something similar. If you are right handed and need to write on a notepad, you would naturally hold a pen with your right hand while holding the pad with your left. If you are right handed and navigating a screen, it is common to hold the phone in your left hand so you can either use your left thumb or free up your right hand to navigate the screen. Again the dominant hand does the work when dealing cards. Deck held in left hand and right hand deals. Not everyone clearly, but most right handed people hold a phone in their left hand.
    Developer

I am also right handed, but it seems HTC 8X was designed for left handed. Because it is the only position when you can easily switch phone on and off with one hand. :( I would kill designer of 8X if I able to find him :)

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Adams View Post
    I am also right handed, but it seems HTC 8X was designed for left handed. Because it is the only position when you can easily switch phone on and off with one hand. :( I would kill designer of 8X if I able to find him :)
    Not sure why you want to turn off your phone so much for? I turned my ATIV S off two times in two months!

There is no way to put the buttons in a perfect place because there are left handed people and right handed people! There is always going to be conflict with left & right handed people! 😎
    ATIV S is LIFE
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    Not sure why you want to turn off your phone so much for? I turned my ATIV S off two times in two months!

There is no way to put the buttons in a perfect place because there are left handed people and right handed people! There is always going to be conflict with left & right handed people! 
    I meant turn screen on/off, not the entire phone.

i really dont get the whole power button position nag from a lot of you guys. *SMH. should that be a main reasn for you not to get a handset or get rid of one
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Adams View Post
    You ruined my idea to exchange HTC 8X to ATIV S. I hate HTC because of stupid power button on top of the phone. And I thought that Samsung will have better button positions. But volume level buttons, problems with SD card! Oh my goodness. :(
    I didn't buy Lumia 920 because I don't need stone brick in my pocket ! :(

There is no perfection in the world.
    I own the Ativ S and plan to get the 920. Holding both it's not that big a difference. One-handed use is about the same, as well as in-pocket feel. (both phones are out if skinny jeans are part of the scenario) The 920 is noticeably heavier if you're holding both at the same time, but it's not going to make your arm more tired during a phone call unless you just had chemo. If you have a case on your Ativ like I do (incipio shell) then it's a wash completely.
    palandri likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkevbosky View Post
    Well....anyone who doesn't like their ATIV S and wants an Android phone, let me know - I have a Nexus 4 I'd be willing to trade for it.
    Dude, you really think people are going to trade their $600 phone for your sub-$400 phone straight up? Good luck with that... I could sell my Ativ S locally right now for $550, which would leave me almost $200 after buying the nexus 4 16gb.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,031 Global Posts
    Well....anyone who doesn't like their ATIV S and wants an Android phone, let me know - I have a Nexus 4 I'd be willing to trade for it.
    Kev. You buy/sell/trade more than anyone else. You must like variety.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    1,026 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freestaterocker View Post
    I own the Ativ S and plan to get the 920. Holding both it's not that big a difference. One-handed use is about the same, as well as in-pocket feel. (both phones are out if skinny jeans are part of the scenario) The 920 is noticeably heavier if you're holding both at the same time, but it's not going to make your arm more tired during a phone call unless you just had chemo. If you have a case on your Ativ like I do (incipio shell) then it's a wash completely.
    Link to said incipio case please. I went to their site and found shells for the Odyssey model only.
    My next phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by crystal_planet View Post
    Link to said incipio case please. I went to their site and found shells for the Odyssey model only.
    I bought it at the Bell Store when I got my phone... TBH I'm no longer using the incipio. It broke. I got a pretty sweet gel case off amazon for $8 that just arrived today. I'll try to find a link, though...

Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    I wouldn't listen to these people. If the button placement is anything like the GS3, then it is by far the best button placement for a larger phone. Having the button on top is just moronic in my opinion, too difficult to reach without using two hands. I honestly think it is quite comical how people can press the volume button by accident when pressing the power button. The natural grip would be to have your index finger behind your phone, nowhere near volume rocker and the rest of your fingers should be below the rocker. While your thumb is near the screen. To hit the power button just hit it with your thumb. To hit the volume rocker, just use your index finger. Shouldnt need either thumb or index finger to grip the phone, unless you suck. Haha

The Lumia way is also poor because you have the camera button, power, and volume rocker all on one side and placed too close together and gives you no space on the right to grip.
    try it in your left hand and see how "comical" it is then.

I'm right handed (as are most people on the planet of course) which means I use my phone in my left hand so my right hand is free. Whether you think its comical or not, the buttons are badly placed. My HTC HD7 had it on the top, much better and more logical, and perfectly simple to do with one hand "unless you suck. Haha"

Quote Originally Posted by John Mbasela View Post
    i really dont get the whole power button position nag from a lot of you guys. *SMH. should that be a main reasn for you not to get a handset or get rid of one
    I don't recall saying it was/is the main reason to not get/get rid of the phone. Its just bloody irritating and shows a level of thoughtlessness and lack of real world testing on Samsung's part - as does the camera lense clear cover being the first part of the back of the phone to touch any surface it's put down on.
    Last edited by Grizlyadams; 02-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Samsung should of pushed the ATIV S every where worldwide! I think this is a awesome phone just with the lacking of Samsung back push & support of the platform.

I love my ATIV S and wish the rest of the world would to! 😎
    ATIV S is LIFE

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I am guess you have never used, or owned a Focus/Focus S? These things are perfectly ok with me, as the button positioning is the same, etc.

So your cons are my pros, cant wait for this phone! ;-)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Podunks View Post
    I am guess you have never used, or owned a Focus/Focus S? These things are perfectly ok with me, as the button positioning is the same, etc.

So your cons are my pros, cant wait for this phone! ;-)
    "never used, or owned a Focus/Focus S" - nope.

does the Focus have audio controls (even basic base and trebble) ?

Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Dude, you really think people are going to trade their $600 phone for your sub-$400 phone straight up? Good luck with that... I could sell my Ativ S locally right now for $550, which would leave me almost $200 after buying the nexus 4 16gb.

Could you sell your Ativ S locally for $550? I doubt it. I bet you could get $500 on Ebay for it, but after fees, Paypal charges, and shipping costs, you're down to about $425 or so.

My Nexus 4, plus tax, plus bumper, was about $365 total. So, yeah, if someone who had an Ativ S said something like "you throw in $50 cash and we'll do a trade", that's reasonable.
    [/COLOR]
    Could you sell your Ativ S locally for $550? I doubt it. I bet you could get $500 on Ebay for it, but after fees, Paypal charges, and shipping costs, you're down to about $425 or so.

My Nexus 4, plus tax, plus bumper, was about $365 total. So, yeah, if someone who had an Ativ S said something like "you throw in $50 cash and we'll do a trade", that's reasonable.
    I have an interested buyer who will be thrilled to save about $110 taxes included on the phone he wants, especially since it already has an SD card in it and he knows firsthand from the current owner that he'll get one that is problem free.

The price is agreed upon already. So yeah, I will get $550 locally if I sell it. Somebody without the luxury of a buyer might need to negotiate, but I don't.

The final straw. This piece of sh#t Ativ S has just stopped working. Won't turn on. Initial symptom was the screen displaying a lightening bolt and config wheel (like it had been powered up with the volume key depressed).

Battery is charging, but phone will not switch on. It did boot all the way into Windows Phone once in the last 4 days, but then as soon as the screen went off, it wouldn't come back on.

Typically its whilst I'm away from home for two and a half weeks. I have no love left for this device. Once repaired/replaced its going.

If I could walk into Mobile World Congress in Barcelona tomorrow and buy an unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 I would.
    Last edited by Grizlyadams; 02-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizlyadams View Post
    The final straw. This piece of sh#t Ativ S has just stopped working. Won't turn on. Initial symptom was the screen displaying a lightening bolt and config wheel (like it had been powered up with the volume key depressed).

Battery is charging, but phone will not switch on. It did boot all the way into Windows Phone once in the last 4 days, but then as soon as the screen went off, it wouldn't come back on.

Typically its whilst I'm away from home for two and a half weeks. I have no love left for this device. Once repaired/replaced its going.

If I could walk into Mobile World Congress in Barcelona tomorrow and buy an unlocked Nokia Lumia 920 I would.
    Been trying to power it up a couple of times a day . . . it came back to life last night! Go figure.
    Mankku likes this.

But what about lefties!

lefties would be fine if the power button was on the top :)
    I love my Ativ S. It works, that I like. Samsung might be quiet about it to protect its S3.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Mine's working again after having the system board replaced. I can live with the buttons, as irritating as they are. the thing that remains a major irritation is the lack of audio controls. I just don't get it. And god knows the audio needs a bit of boosting.
    I will agree, the volume/lock button is in a rather annoying place, and the back comes off a bit too easy. But as for the rest of the phone, its awesome! Switched from the 8x and I'm not regretting it at all.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast