Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    Samsung pisses me off. I've waited this long...no news, no developments...no rumors...nothing from Samsung about the ATIV S in the USA. I'm not a fan at all of the Lumia 920 (I think it's completely overrated), and not a fan of any HTC product.

It looks as if I may go Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. This is getting absolutely ridiculous...

Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Oh well.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    Have fun :)
  4.    #4  
    it may be "oh well" to you. but as a microsoft guy, i love the whole windows platform. always have. can't believe a company would purposely block sales.
    Thanked by:
    snowmutt and Bartdog like this.

Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDownDirtySkynyrdFan View Post
    it may be "oh well" to you. but as a microsoft guy, i love the whole windows platform. always have. can't believe a company would purposely block sales.
    by your post you seem more of a "Samsung" guy ;)

If you think the Lumia 920 is overhyped.....the Samsung has to be pretty lackluster

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    To be honest, I cannot understand why someone would prefer the Ativ over a Lumia 920 or HTC 8X. As long as Samsung is doing well with their Android devices, they won't put too much effort into WP.
    socialcarpet likes this.
  7.    #7  
    hmm...

expandable memory... removable battery... physical home button...

a phone that isn't odd shaped and brags about photos...not all of us are looking to go around taking pictures of everything
    Thanked by:
    DavidinCT, Bartdog and Cordanim like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mersa View Post
    To be honest, I cannot understand why someone would prefer the Ativ over a Lumia 920 or HTC 8X. As long as Samsung is doing well with their Android devices, they won't put too much effort into WP.
    So....you can't fathom that in a world full of choices, someone might not want a Nokia or HTC phone?
    snowmutt and xcharles718 like this.

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mersa View Post
    The one thing you have to give Samsung is, they put out their devices pretty much everywhere.
    My next phone...
  10.    #10  
    but never let you know when it's coming out. and what's your picture of...

Quote Originally Posted by LowDownDirtySkynyrdFan View Post
    Samsung pisses me off. I've waited this long...no news, no developments...no rumors...nothing from Samsung about the ATIV S in the USA. I'm not a fan at all of the Lumia 920 (I think it's completely overrated), and not a fan of any HTC product.

It looks as if I may go Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Note 2. This is getting absolutely ridiculous...
    Unless you want to buy it subsidized, you can buy one from any Canadian carrier and unlock it. Good thing with the Canadian carriers (at least the ATIV S from Bell, which i have by the way), there is no carrier branding whatsoever on the phone and no carrier logo when booting up the phone. Oh and if you think the Lumia is overrated then you will be in for a shock. the only thing going for the ATIV is the micro SD and the removable battery (but keep in mind if you intend to use NFC then, the removable battery advantage diminishes as the NFC is built into the battery. So unless you buy an original Samsung ATIV S battery you will lose NFC functionality). I personally tested the Lumia in store and there is nothing overrated about it. try it out for yourself. The only reason I got the ATIV S was because of Nokia's stupid exclusivity deal with Rogers and to make matters worse offering it only in black.
    Thanked by:

Have you considered the 820? It has the removable battery and expandable memory that you're looking for. As far as shape that is more opinion based so that's more of your decision.

As much as I want more people to buy Windows Phones, but if you're buying a phone on a 2 year contract, pick the phone that you are most happy with. Maybe Samsung will get off their high horse someday and release the phone you want where you want it, or maybe even Nokia/HTC will release a phone that fits your wants/needs.

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    Let him walk, he's a Samsung guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayz8 View Post
    Let him walk, he's a Samsung guy.
    This is a silly attitude, assuming you're a Windows Phone guy. Ideally you should be wanting this software to be available on any and all hardware available, especially one that was announced over four months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by redoxy View Post
    Unless you want to buy it subsidized, you can buy one from any Canadian carrier and unlock it. Good thing with the Canadian carriers (at least the ATIV S from Bell, which i have by the way), there is no carrier branding whatsoever on the phone and no carrier logo when booting up the phone. Oh and if you think the Lumia is overrated then you will be in for a shock. the only thing going for the ATIV is the micro SD and the removable battery (but keep in mind if you intend to use NFC then, the removable battery advantage diminishes as the NFC is built into the battery. So unless you buy an original Samsung ATIV S battery you will lose NFC functionality). I personally tested the Lumia in store and there is nothing overrated about it. try it out for yourself. The only reason I got the ATIV S was because of Nokia's stupid exclusivity deal with Rogers and to make matters worse offering it only in black.
    I have the Ativ S on Telus, and I disagree. The last two Windows Phones I've owned (Focus and then Lumia 900) I purchased outright from Rogers, so I'm no stranger to just purchasing and then unlocking a device like the 920. I specifically chose the Ativ S over the 920, after playing with both, for the following reasons:

1. The Ativ S has an HD AMOLED screen... no other Windows Phone has that. I prefer the contrast level on the AMOLED screens (especially for movies and games). The 820 isn't HD, and the 920/8X aren't AMOLED. In my opinion, the screen on the 920 looks inferior to the Ativ S.
    2. Ativ S is the only HD screen device with a microSD slot. I have 80 GB of storage on my Ativ S, of which 44 GB is in use. It is the best device for media that you can't stream, and won't find on XBox music. I could get that on an 820, but would have to give up the HD screen.
    3. The Ativ S is the best device for gaming due to the larger HD screen size, removable battery (games burn down the battery fast), and AMOLED contrast levels.
    4. The Ativ is comparatively light and thin for such a large screen size, which works better for my carry methods.
    5. There are currently lots of accessories for the Ativ S due to its almost identical dimensions to the Galaxy S3.

There are certainly advantages you give up by choosing the Ativ over the 920 - camera capabilities, using touchscreen with thick gloves (Ativ only works with standard MEC polyester gloves) and the support Nokia provides with apps and services - but there are several good reasons to choose the Ativ over the 920. The 920's a good phone, but the Ativ isn't an obvious second choice... they have different strengths as a hardware device. I also personally like the way the Ativ S looks better after seeing them both in person, though I realize that I'm in the minority on that opinion.
    Last edited by VelJharig; 01-14-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VelJharig View Post
    I have the Ativ S on Telus, and I disagree. The last two Windows Phones I've owned (Focus and then Lumia 900) I purchased outright from Rogers, so I'm no stranger to just purchasing and then unlocking a device like the 920. I specifically chose the Ativ S over the 920, after playing with both, for the following reasons:

1. The Ativ S has an HD AMOLED screen... no other Windows Phone has that. I prefer the contrast level on the AMOLED screens (especially for movies and games). The 820 isn't HD, and the 920/8X aren't AMOLED. In my opinion, the screen on the 920 looks inferior to the Ativ S.
    2. Ativ S is the only HD screen device with a microSD slot. I have 80 GB of storage on my Ativ S, of which 44 GB is in use. It is the best device for media that you can't stream, and won't find on XBox music. I could get that on an 820, but would have to give up the HD screen.
    3. The Ativ S is the best device for gaming due to the larger HD screen size, removable battery (games burn down the battery fast), and AMOLED contrast levels.
    4. The Ativ is comparatively light and thin for such a large screen size, which works better for my carry methods.
    5. There are currently lots of accessories for the Ativ S due to its almost identical dimensions to the Galaxy S3.

There are certainly advantages you give up by choosing the Ativ over the 920 - camera capabilities, using touchscreen with thick gloves (Ativ only works with standard MEC polyester gloves) and the support Nokia provides with apps and services - but there are several good reasons to choose the Ativ over the 920. The 920's a good phone, but the Ativ isn't an obvious second choice... they have different strengths as a hardware device. I also personally like the way the Ativ S looks better after seeing them both in person, though I realize that I'm in the minority on that opinion.
    I agree completely with your stance, and related positions. I think the 920 looks stupid. I do not want to carry a crayon colored block around. And the Samsung looks so much better, business like etc.

But OMG!!@$@#!@%#$%^ This is getting stupid.... I have lost a vast amount of respect for Samsung, as I was so excited for this phone, and they have missed every rumored release date for the US by leaps and bounds. How terrible of a business practice. I have been waiting for my contract upgrade for 3 months now. And it looks like I will have to switch phones to android... Which is not at all what I want to do.... But this is just ridiculous...

Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartdog View Post
    This is a silly attitude, assuming you're a Windows Phone guy. Ideally you should be wanting this software to be available on any and all hardware available, especially one that was announced over four months ago.
    I agree with your assessment, however at the same time you have to look at reality for what it is. I had a Samsung Focus and was looking at the ATIV S, but like your last sentence said it's been over four months and have made no further mention of it, either it got delayed or its simply not coming. Sometimes you just have to look at reality and see that maybe it wasn't meant to be with the ATIV S and the U.S..

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    You can buy a Samsung Ativ S Windows Phone right now i got one a week ago & OMG i loved it. Just get a unlocked one offline. Got it from Negri Electronics cost 589.00 but well work it!!! I use to use Att but i switched to Net10 (net10 uses ATT towers.) But this phone is awesome!! I love it!!

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    What are you talking about! I just got my Samsung Ativ S Windows phone last week & i live in the US. I just got a unlocked one off line. Go to Negri Electronics. This Ativ S phone is awesome in everyway so YES you can use a Ativ S in the us i am using it now! I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!

Global Posts
    589 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Carter View Post
    What are you talking about! I just got my Samsung Ativ S Windows phone last week & i live in the US. I just got a unlocked one off line. Go to Negri Electronics. This Ativ S phone is awesome in everyway so YES you can use a Ativ S in the us i am using it now! I LOVE THIS PHONE!!!
    Is it running LTE on ATT or HSPA?

Edit: Nevermind. Just checked Negri. I'm not paying that much for a 3g phone. LTE has me spoiled.

Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I have a 920 and love it but also wanted to give the Ativ a look for some of the reasons listed. Samsung just took too long to make a commitment on it. The best thing for me... in 2 years I'll have even more awesome phones to choose from!

Global Posts
    1,044 Global Posts
    The only reason I can think of is Samsung may be having limited production runs and when they even out, they'll hit the streets in the US.
    My next phone...

Global Posts
    3,497 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    Once again, we have a thread where someone has a legit personal preference, and once again we have posters telling them to get over it. So... LowDownDirtySkynardFan prefers Samsung products. Considering they are THE largest cell phone producer in the known cosmos, L.D.D.S.F. is most likely not alone. As Samsung's Focus/Omni series was a nice series of WP 7.5 devices (the original Focus is arguably the most succesful single device among WP 7 devices, most certainly among the Gen 1 devices), again most likely not alone. Get the ATIV S out to some major carriers with the Samsung name on it, it will sell just BECAUSE it is a Samsung. This is a serious phone. Fun screen, large size and expandable memory perfect for gaming and multi-media. The 920 and 8X, despite their advantages, do not offer that combination.

It is unfortunate that Sammy isn't striking while the iron is hot. WP8 devices are selling real well and they could easily carve out a large base for the ATIV. I love my Focus S, and will keep any Samsung out there that meets my needs as a top choice. But, you can't support what isn't available. Stupid decision. If you are going to announce and produce it, give it a chance to be succesful.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    my phone is running LTE most of the time when i am close to a LTE tower. My internet is blistering fast i just can see how it can be any faster. You should get a Ativ S the phone will run 2g 3g 4g or 4g LTE it will find whatever tower is close & use it so great phone conanheath

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    by your post you seem more of a "Samsung" guy ;)

If you think the Lumia 920 is overhyped.....the Samsung has to be pretty lackluster
    and you seem like a "unnecessary use of smiley face guy"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast