Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Global Posts
    2,143 Global Posts
    Hey guys. I'm just wonderin. if anybody in this forum. has a Samsung Ativ S??

if you do.
    • how is the feel?,
    • how big is it?
    • what exclusive apps are there?
    • how good is the screen?
    • and how is the photos and videos?

need help because my friend is an Samsung fanboy and he wants a Samsung Ativ S
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]
    I just got one a couple hours ago. The screen is great, even though I can see the pentile... Feels great in hand even though it's HUGE. It takes great indoor shots. Only thing I don't care for is the physical home button, since I'm used to the capacitive ones. (press vs light tap) And a Samsung fanboy won't mind anyway, since pretty much all their devices have them. It's a great phone so far that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, even to fans of other OEMs. It even feels premium, not like "cheap" plastic.

UPDATE: Major disappointment when I plugged in my headphones and turned on the music. Sound is thin with no bass. Music is my life. I might return it...
    Last edited by freestaterocker; 12-15-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    Thanked by:
    aubreyq, Big Supes and 12Danny123 like this.

Global Posts
    2,143 Global Posts
    what is Pentile???. never heard of it
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]
    It's a sub-pixel layout. Non-pentile screens use a RGB layout. (red green blue) Pentile uses RGBG (extra green sub-pixel in each pixel). The advantage is green is the most easily perceivable color to the human eye, so you can use lower brightness levels to save battery. The downside is it can create subtle diagonal lines on a white background. Most people won't notice it even on large screens with lower resolutions, but my eyesight is off the charts. It's not bad... I just notice it. It's the same screen as the Galaxy S3.
    James8561 likes this.

hi freestaterocker, i've been holding back getting 920 for the ATIV S, but if what you say is true about sound/music quality is that bad, I'd be really dissapointed as this is very important for me too. I'd appreciate if you can elaborate a little bit about this. What kind of head phone or ear phone you use and have you look at the settings if there's any equalizers that may help. Have you compared the sound using other headphones? Maybe you'd want to get another headphone before returning the phone because earphone such as Sennheiser CX300 have a bit more bass that may help in this case. Can you try with different earphones?
    I haven't found any kind of EQ anywhere in the settings, and I tried it first with the headphones that came with it, which I frankly expected to suck. Then I tried it with a high level set of Sony ear buds that sounded fantastic on my HD7 even with the sound enhancer off. I'm no "Beats" guy, but the sound had no bass and was very thin. Music honestly sounds better through the loudspeaker than it did through my Sonys. Currently there is no EQ apps available in the WP Store, and I'm probably stuck with the phone, as I don't want another HTC, and I can't afford an unlocked 920 until my tax return.

Thanks freestaterocker,

What a dissapointment. I wonder what samsung was thinking. Before this, what I worried the most (coming from HTC) is that Samsung has a very bad reputation for updating their phones. I know how terrible the feeling of not getting the upgrade when everyone else is getting it.

I'm still hoping this is fixable by either software (EQ) or new firmware though. Sound quality is just as important to me, but HTC 8X is too limited in features for me (16GB, no SD). May be HTC Titan 3 ???

Thanks

This is a pretty basic thing to get wrong. Hopefully it is just a firmware issue.
    Nokia fixed the same problem with the 800 with firmware. I'm gonna call Samsung and threaten to return it and get a 920. And tell them every music lover is probably gonna do the same thing. Maybe if a few other forumers do likewise they'll get on a fix.

so this is the guy that announced the ativ at the samsung event, we should try to email him
    Damian Cusick
    General Manager at Samsung Electronics
    United KingdomConsumer Electronics
    anyone been able to track down an email?

music is by far the most important feature i'm looking for. i have a pair of jh audio iem's and i do not wat to feed them sub quality audio. i listened to the lumia 920 and the htc 8x, 920 was better to me. i really love the storage capabilities the ativ presents.have you started a thread about this issue?
    Planning to. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Update: I just started the thread, and I've asked the mods to make it a sticky.
    Last edited by freestaterocker; 12-17-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Olá!
    Eu tenho um celular SANSUNG ATIV S.
    Ótimo aparelho. Leve, fino, rápido e elegante!
    Vale a pena comprar.

Abraços!

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Hopefully not a Nokia thing only, but I have an headphone EQ adjust under "settings", "audio". Hopefully, Ativ also has that setting?

Edit: Sorry NM. Read in diff post that Ativ did not have EQ like Nokia.. New guy on forum syndrome...

Poor audio playback is most definitely a deal-breaker for me. What a disappointment.

Let's hope Sammy release an integrated sound EQ like HTC did for the HD7.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    aubreyq likes this.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I have one, well two (which I don't need). I find the Samsung Ativ S beautiful, it's a great phone and its design is too. Its weight feels great in the hand.

^^ Any thoughts on the audio playback Shindou? :)
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

It is known that the audio output through headphones is loud, isn't it? So any distortion at high volumes? I'd like to know if the sound output is really mediocre or average, good, have only an SE X10 mini to compare to which audio is OK. I've tried the Lumia 920 through basic earbud headphones and playing music through Nokia Music did not impress me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Blomqvist View Post
    It is known that the audio output through headphones is loud, isn't it? So any distortion at high volumes? I'd like to know if the sound output is really mediocre or average, good, have only an SE X10 mini to compare to which audio is OK. I've tried the Lumia 920 through basic earbud headphones and playing music through Nokia Music did not impress me.
    Audio is loud and clear with no noticeable distortion. Just not as full and robust in terms of the lows and mids as I'd come to enjoy with my previous phone, the HTC HD7. Which did NOT have Beats Audio, but did have a bunch of EQ presets, some better than others, similar to what you'd find on an iDevice...
    Thanked by:
    Mankku 
    hey everybody, I'd like to buy a samsung ativ s, do you know where I can buy it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel Marques Scur View Post
    hey everybody, I'd like to buy a samsung ativ s, do you know where I can buy it?
    Where are you located (country) and what spectrums do your local carriers use? If you don't mind waiting, mine might be for sale in a couple months...

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I got one & i love it! Got if from Nergi Electronics. Its unlocked and only cost $589.50. Works great its very fast, but i am having problems sending & receiving picture text. I dont believe its Samsung's fault i am sure its in the apn settings. Just cant figure out how to get them set right . Net10 is not helping fix the problem. I switched from Att and started using net10/straight talk. The internet works just fine can search any web site i wont. Email works great also, So i just can understand why it will not send & receive picture text, But great phone!!
    update: I got my problem fixed. Come to find out all about the Samsung Ativ s will pick and add all the right APNs and mms settings as soon as you put in the sim card. Since i am using net10/straight talk which use either Att towers or T mobile towers all i had to do was tweak the settings a little with the ones net10 gave me inside the att apn settings. Now my picture text work just fine! I love this Samsung Ativ S phone the internet is blistering fast & WOW the screen shows great videos & pictures. I say to everyone get this phone!
    Last edited by Terry Carter; 01-15-2013 at 08:20 AM.

hi i need some help aswell on my new samsung ativ s. i cant download some apps because i need to setup my family settings first. the thing is i dont know how to do this. any help please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axmed Amin View Post
    hi i need some help aswell on my new samsung ativ s. i cant download some apps because i need to setup my family settings first. the thing is i dont know how to do this. any help please.
    You have to go on the windows phone website sign in with an adult account and if your not 18 or over put in the adult account then add your email/account do this by selecting from a drop down box family setting or something similar for allowing apps and games you want to install.
    Last edited by BIGPADDY; 04-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!

There is nothing wrong with the audio, as long as it's from a high quality source and you have some decent headphones the quality and loudness is fine.

Photo:- Freda Payne - Band of Gold (1970) Audio overdubbed using Sony Vegas Pro.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/11869/20...vmt7-137kb.jpg
    Mankku likes this.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I love the phone so far except that I can't use the in ear style ear buds that come with the phone so I have a pair of apple headphones and when on a phone call the person I am talking to cannot hear me but I can hear them, does anyone know how to fix that?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast