Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    The Samsung ATIV S use's a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus (MSM8960) now for it to use Bluetooth 4.0/FM Radio tech in your ATIV S you need a analog chip called (WCN3660/80) ?

This chip is in the Samsung GS3 hardware and seems not in the hardware spec of the ATIV S why?

Is that chip there and needs a update to unlock that chip and turn it on for FM Radio and BT 4.0 to work?

http://www.qualcomm.com/sites/defaul...specs_9-12.pdf
    Last edited by travisel; 11-05-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: link
    ATIV S is LIFE

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    I wish I knew but this device has such secrecy around it.

Hi guys, thats my first post on this forum. Tonight I just did some investigation about my new favourite phone, the GT-I8750...And i found some interesting news on the bluetooth.org and the qualcomm-s official page. Some facts: in the official specifications shown it has bluetooth 3.0 and no fm radio support. Some guys thinks it is an absence of the WCN3660 combo chip, thats why the bluetooth just 3.0 . The first thing what I noticed on the bluetooth.org page, GT-I8750 and the T899M have a same bluetooth controller. The BT version is 3.1 on that site, its not a big difference, but difference. If you check the specifications page: link first table: Core Specification 4.0 Supported and Table 2: Supported Features: LE (low energy) features all supported too.
    The MSM8960 only supports BT 3.x +HS mode MSM8960 specs if it don't have that WCN3660 chip, so if my supposition is correct, GT-I8750 and the T899M have Bluetooth 4.0+LE and FM radio too
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarthyel View Post
    Hi guys, thats my first post on this forum. Tonight I just did some investigation about my new favourite phone, the GT-I8750...And i found some interesting news on the bluetooth.org and the qualcomm-s official page. Some facts: in the official specifications shown it has bluetooth 3.0 and no fm radio support. Some guys thinks it is an absence of the WCN3660 combo chip, thats why the bluetooth just 3.0 . The first thing what I noticed on the bluetooth.org page, GT-I8750 and the T899M have a same bluetooth controller. The BT version is 3.1 on that site, its not a big difference, but difference. If you check the specifications page: link first table: Core Specification 4.0 Supported and Table 2: Supported Features: LE (low energy) features all supported too.
    The MSM8960 only supports BT 3.x +HS mode MSM8960 specs if it don't have that WCN3660 chip, so if my supposition is correct, GT-I8750 and the T899M have Bluetooth 4.0+LE and FM radio too
    That's an interesting find. However the i8750 uses the MSM8260A AFAIK, there is some speculation that the i8750 uses the MSM8960 so it has LTE but it's just disabled, and looking at the tables from Qualcomm the only difference is the lack of LTE support.

Quote Originally Posted by neo158 View Post
    That's an interesting find. However the i8750 uses the MSM8260A AFAIK, there is some speculation that the i8750 uses the MSM8960 so it has LTE but it's just disabled, and looking at the tables from Qualcomm the only difference is the lack of LTE support.
    My suspicion is increasing. So if it has a BT 4.0 LTE + FM Radio chip, then that means the ATIV S has LTE but disabled!!

Only way to test ATIV S LTE is to flash a T899M ROM onto a I8750 (mine is i8370, weird). See if you can pick up LTE signals
    Hit the "thanks" button if you thought the post above was helpful!

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370
    Firmware: 2424.12.12.3
    ROM: UK OPEN
    Network: StarHub
    Dev Unlocked: ✔

Global Posts
    1,109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WP8Expert View Post
    My suspicion is increasing. So if it has a BT 4.0 LTE + FM Radio chip, then that means the ATIV S has LTE but disabled!!

Only way to test ATIV S LTE is to flash a T899M ROM onto a I8750 (mine is i8370, weird). See if you can pick up LTE signals
    Which I'm not prepared to do in case I brick it, if I had a spare then I would try it.
    There is no "best smartphone", just the one that's best for you.

Which I'm not prepared to do in case I brick it, if I had a spare then I would try it.
    Some people say "Just pop an AT&T SIM and see if you can get signals.". How can you expect the phone to receive LTE signals, if the software does not even know what LTE is?

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370

Global Posts
    1,109 Global Posts
    Some people say "Just pop an AT&T SIM and see if you can get signals.". How can you expect the phone to receive LTE signals, if the software does not even know what LTE is?
    Exactly, but I'm not prepared to potentially brick my phone for the purposes of an experiment ;-)
    There is no "best smartphone", just the one that's best for you.

Exactly, but I'm not prepared to potentially brick my phone for the purposes of an experiment ;-)
    Yeah. This should be done by pros. Maybe we should donate a used i8750 to GoodDayToDie in xda-developers as he has a T899M.

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370

guys, I just now I verified at GSMArena that I8750 has "Qualcomm MSM8960 Snapdragon" chipset.

Does this mean I can flash I8750 ROM to T899M device? I dont use LTE so it does not matter as far as LTE is concerned. Also thus I will get rid of ROGER's stuff on my ATIV S - T899M phone.

Please suggest.