Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Villain
  • 1 Post By independentvolume
  • 1 Post By BellaRed
  • 1 Post By Villain
  1. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

    Ive been going back and forth trying to decide between the Ativ S and the Lumia 920. As many have stated here, what draws me to the Ativ S is the form factor, huge screen, and the fact that ive been very happy with the Focus and Focus S (imo best wp phone out now).

    I know nobody knows for sure but what do you guys think? Will the Ativ S get released anytime near the Nov 4th date for the Lumia? Will it get released this year? This could be a make or break deal for me and with all the Lumia news flooding this forum I wanted to shed some light on what seems to be the underrated beauty that is the Ativ s.
  2. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #2  
    its been confirmed for canada in november

    Rogers to release the Samsung Ativ S in November | MobileSyrup.com
    Thanked by:
    wp8nyc 
    snowmutt likes this.
  3. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
       #3  
    Thanks for that - I wonder if that will be the same for the US then w/AT&T. I just hope if it is out in Nov that we get some sort of confirmation or preorder this month (similar to the Lumia) before I end up getting a 920.

    Also, has anyone seen a video (on youtube or wherever) of the Ativ S in action? I've seen multiple videos online but none of them have the phone turned on and just show its hardware components.

    So much talk about the 920 - which I am considering purchasing - makes me wonder if the Ativ S could be any more under the radar.
  4. #4  
    Samsung didn't get to where they are by making marketing mistakes. Why go out of the way to showcase a phone before the OS has been formally introduced? Expect Ativ news to hit hard and heavy after Microsoft's showing on the 29th.
    snowmutt likes this.
  5. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,218 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,235 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #5  
    First off, glad to have you onboard. Always good to see a fellow Focus S user kicking around.

    I agree with @independentvolume, Samsung isn't going to push the ATIV performance out until WP8 is completely out there. No reason before that.

    There have been a couple of rumors that it may not be released until the late November/early December time frame. I am not sure I am buying that, but truly I do not think that is too late if they release it to a large audience and as many carriers as they can (you know, everyone except Sprint). It all will be good if it works as sleek and sharp as it looks and they promote it.
    Before posting anything, please be sure to get the facts straight. You can always distort them to your liking later.
  6. TenTwelve's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    494 Posts
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    #6  
    Since when is 11/4 the date for the 920? Anyhow, I can't see Samsung dragging their feet getting the Ativ to market so, I'd expect it to be released really close to the same time as the 920
  7. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTwelve View Post
    Since when is 11/4 the date for the 920? Anyhow, I can't see Samsung dragging their feet getting the Ativ to market so, I'd expect it to be released really close to the same time as the 920
    Im just basing the 11/4 date off of what latest information we have from this site. Obv its not set in stone but WPCentral seems to be pretty (10/10) sure that 11/4 will be in the store sale date for the 920.

    http://www.wpcentral.com/confirmed-a...0-november-4th
  8. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    First off, glad to have you onboard. Always good to see a fellow Focus S user kicking around.

    I agree with @independentvolume, Samsung isn't going to push the ATIV performance out until WP8 is completely out there. No reason before that.

    There have been a couple of rumors that it may not be released until the late November/early December time frame. I am not sure I am buying that, but truly I do not think that is too late if they release it to a large audience and as many carriers as they can (you know, everyone except Sprint). It all will be good if it works as sleek and sharp as it looks and they promote it.
    Makes sense. As a fellow Focus S user are you planning to go with the Ativ or jumping on board with the 920?
  9. BellaRed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    #9  
    Ativ S video, shows children's corner -

    YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

    Funny how they use the SGS3 wallpaper :)
    Villain likes this.
  10. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
       #10  
    Thanks for that!
  11. snowmutt's Avatar

    Posts
    3,218 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,235 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp8nyc View Post
    Makes sense. As a fellow Focus S user are you planning to go with the Ativ or jumping on board with the 920?
    I am absolutely sure I am undecided.

    I am leaning to the 920, but that is because I respect what Nokia is bringing to the WP ecosystem. They are truly trying to bring an Alpha Dawg to market, bring some unique features, and put WP in the same breathe as Android and iOS. It is hard not to respect that and reward them. I have actually starting thinking about the 820 as well, depending on price points. I just really want to support them.

    But every time I think that, I look at the pictures of the ATIV which I think is classy and mature looking. I look at my Focus S which has been near flawless since the day I inserted it's battery. I see the amazing reviews and support for Samsung's top end Androids. Throw in they have supported the "S" with Tango and other firmware updates and I am not sure I can ignore the great experiences I have had with Sammy. I really want to see if they bring the top end features from the GS3 to the ATIV. If so, the decision becomes a lot harder.

    Are you leaning to the ATIV?
    Last edited by snowmutt; 10-08-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    Before posting anything, please be sure to get the facts straight. You can always distort them to your liking later.
  12. travisel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #12  
    The ATIV S will be on all US/CAN carriers like the GS3 :)

    Samsung ATIV S is not a carrier exclusive phone!

    Where the Lumia 920 is only on TWO carriers total for US/CAN!

    US - AT&T
    CAN - Rogers Wireless

    ATIV S will be every where just like the GS3 :)

    I just hope that ATIV S comes in week 45 not in week 48 I here?
    ATIV S is LIFE
  13. Villain's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    665 Posts
    Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    #13  
    bahhhhhh I'm so conflicted with what device I want... that video just made me super pumped for the ativ s.
    snowmutt likes this.
  14. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    I am absolutely sure I am undecided.

    I am leaning to the 920, but that is because I respect what Nokia is bringing to the WP ecosystem. They are truly trying to bring an Alpha Dawg to market, bring some unique features, and put WP in the same breathe as Android and iOS. It is hard not to respect that and reward them. I have actually starting thinking about the 820 as well, depending on price points. I just really want to support them.

    But every time I think that, I look at the pictures of the ATIV which I think is classy and mature looking. I look at my Focus S which has been near flawless since the day I inserted it's battery. I see the amazing reviews and support for Samsung's top end Androids. Throw in they have supported the "S" with Tango and other firmware updates and I am not sure I can ignore the great experiences I have had with Sammy. I really want to see if they bring the top end features from the GS3 to the ATIV. If so, the decision becomes a lot harder.

    Are you leaning to the ATIV?
    I feel the exact same way. Having loved my experience with the Focus and then Focus S im drawn towards Samsung and the Ativ S is a beauty - love the screen size and thin design. On the same note, the 920s features are very appealing and seeing as this is being marketed as the flagship wp8 device makes it a very hard choice.

    So really I still have not been able to decide either.
  15. kregstrong's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    274 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    #15  
    I'm on Verizon so I'm thinking its gonna be this phone or the 8x. Both have their perks. Love my gs3 so design wise its fine but I'm also loving the look of that 8x even tho the smaller screen. Decisions. But being on Verizon they will most likely make that decision for me by only offering one on launch hahaha

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  16. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post

    I am leaning to the 920, but that is because I respect what Nokia is bringing to the WP ecosystem. They are truly trying to bring an Alpha Dawg to market, bring some unique features, and put WP in the same breathe as Android and iOS. It is hard not to respect that and reward them. I have actually starting thinking about the 820 as well, depending on price points. I just really want to support them.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    But every time I think that, I look at the pictures of the ATIV which I think is classy and mature looking.
    Mature looking flimsy plastic with a faux metal look? No thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    Are you leaning to the ATIV?
    Nope. Not even on my radar. 4.8" screen is retarded. Fake metal sucks. Flimsy plastics suck and Samsungs business practices suck.
  17. #17  
    Not sure if Verizon is getting the Ativ s . I hope so because it's my first choice but if not I guess I'll settle for the only confirmed offering, the 8x.
  18. maj71303's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    #18  
    Information that I got was late November for the ATIV S. I got told week 48 release from someone in the know.
  19. downhillrider's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    #19  
    has anyone done a feature comparison of the 920 and Ativ. One of those 2 phones will probably be my new phone. I like the bigger screen of the Ativ.

Posting Permissions