Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By saintforlife
  • 2 Post By Villain
  • 2 Post By jfa1
  • 1 Post By a5cent

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    I hope people realize that. From reading some posts here I get the feeling that some people think that the Ativ S has a metallic body. I just want to clarify that the Ativ S has a polycarbonate plastic body very similar to the Galaxy S3. It is just that the plastic looks like it is brushed metal.

Having said that, I've used the GS3 and it is a solid phone. There is no reason not to think that when you hold it, the Ativ S will feel like a premium device in your hands.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Sc5IDdFjI&sns=em[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Cv2TPSNRM&sns=em[/YT]
    Last edited by saintforlife; 09-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.
    cedarlog likes this.

Global Posts
    2,481 Global Posts
    they dont even call it brushed metal...they call it a hairline finish.

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Before these videos (first videos I've seen of this phone) I never gave the ATIV S much thought. Now I will. The plastic looks pretty crappy, but it wouldn't be my first phone made from craptastic floppy plastic.

It seems way too flexible to me to provide a solid feel and structure to the back of the phone. I was leaning ATIVs before seeing this, but now I am less sure.
    My smartphone history.

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts
    The back of the GS3 does the same thing. It feels flimsy when taken apart. But when it put together it feels really solid. You should definitely try the Ativ S in person before making up your mind.

I don't mind if it's plastic or not. My 710 is pretty much all plastic and it doesn't bother me. If you drop a plastic phone or a metal phone, then they will all get scratched, chipped, or dented in some way or another.

Before the HD7 came out, a lot of sites started questioning the build quality because the battery cover was just a thin piece of plastic. I gave that phone a good beating (through daily use, and a number of drops on to hard floors) and it still works fine.

Global Posts
    843 Global Posts
    I'd rather the plastic to be honest. my optimus quantum has a metal door and it got scratched to $#!# very easy
    snowmutt and 64GUNSHIP like this.
    Despite the option of 32GB onboard and a 32GB SD card, plus an excellent pedigree at making good phones, I just cant get excited about this phone

Global Posts
    2,202 Global Posts
    Why not reserve judgment until you can feel it for yourself and then make up your mind. I guess you've alreaady got it in your head that the 920 is too heavy and the zenith or titan III will be way too big!
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!
    Villain and snowmutt like this.
    Samsung makes high quality products. All this "flimsy plastic" talk is personal preference. There are millions upon millions of Samsung GS2 devices still in circulation. Find an owner, and ask them if after 1 year of ownership if they have had defective of fragile experiences. Heck, go find original Galaxy devices from 2 years ago. They are still mostly in great, usable condition.

I am still leaning to a Nokia 920, but that is because of their dedicated WP ecosystem. As far as knowing that the device will be working from day 1 and will withstand day to day abuse, I would put my stamp of approval sight unseen on the ATIV.
    "Life is hard. But it is harder when you are stupid."
    -John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    The back of the GS3 does the same thing. It feels flimsy when taken apart. But when it put together it feels really solid. You should definitely try the Ativ S in person before making up your mind.
    I intend to, I guess its just the manner in which they bend it which makes it seem flimsy and cheap. I am waffling back and forth between this and the 920 and will likely have to wait until I can hold both in my hand to make a final decision.
    My smartphone history.

Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I intend to, I guess its just the manner in which they bend it which makes it seem flimsy and cheap. I am waffling back and forth between this and the 920 and will likely have to wait until I can hold both in my hand to make a final decision.
    You could always look up the Galaxy S3 drop test. Some guy in another thread mentioned that so I looked it up. It hasn't sealed the deal for me, but has put me on alert in the event I get the Ativ S

Quote Originally Posted by blehblehbleh View Post
    You could always look up the Galaxy S3 drop test. Some guy in another thread mentioned that so I looked it up. It hasn't sealed the deal for me, but has put me on alert in the event I get the Ativ S
    Thanks. I actually watched it the other day, but I appreciate the heads up.
    My smartphone history.

Global Posts
    7,945 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowmutt View Post
    Samsung makes high quality products. All this "flimsy plastic" talk is personal preference.
    I do agree that it's personal preference, but to me the problem is just their focus. Samsung is focused on making the lightest devices possible. 99% of the time, that means that they're using the lightest plastics they can find, which to many, is what causes the materials to feel cheap.

But if that doesn't bother you or if it's your goal to have a super-light phone, then that's great.

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    It use's both Aluminum & Plastic

Aluminum Chassis & Side Buttons
    Metallic CMF w/ hairline finish "brushed plastic back"

If thats what they have to do to get 135g so be it, Im happy are you?
    ATIV S is LIFE
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BotanicalStig View Post
    Before these videos (first videos I've seen of this phone) I never gave the ATIV S much thought. Now I will. The plastic looks pretty crappy, but it wouldn't be my first phone made from craptastic floppy plastic.
    It's Samsung.

Craptastic floppy plastic is what they do. All they care about is weight.

This should surprise no one.
    Show me a gs3 that broke other than the screen. This design has proven to be more than reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by travisel View Post
    It use's both Aluminum & Plastic

Aluminum Chassis & Side Buttons
    Metallic CMF w/ hairline finish "brushed plastic back"

If thats what they have to do to get 135g so be it, Im happy are you?
    Nope. The chassis and the buttons are plastic as well.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by independentvolume View Post
    Show me a gs3 that broke other than the screen. This design has proven to be more than reliable.
    It's durable. It just feels and looks like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Nope. The chassis and the buttons are plastic as well.
    Not according to the Windows Phone Blog. The chassis and buttons are aluminum, the battery cover is plastic.

See article here. This is the Samsung ATIV S, the first of many amazing Windows Phone 8 devices coming this year

Quote Originally Posted by jaethos View Post
    Not according to the Windows Phone Blog. The chassis and buttons are aluminum, the battery cover is plastic.
    Oh, there are plenty of preview articles out there that state the same thing but I think that comes from the ambiguous wording in the initial official specs of the ATIV S. If you look at the official specifications page now, you can only see mention of "premium metallic hairline finish". There's also the fact that a full aluminium chassis is detrimental to the antenna performance, even iPhone 5 has those breaks in it's chassis to overcome this problem.

The chassis certainly looks like an aluminium chassis in the official renderings,

but in the real life it looks a way different. It looks more like a chrome finish if you ask me.

This thread reminds me of the fact, that no matter how you design a device, something will always leave you wanting more.

If you want one of the lighter devices, you have no choice but to sacrifice other potentially desirable properties like rigidity and robustness.

If you prefer a smaller device, but still want the same size battery, you will need to accept that your device will be thicker. Alternatively, you can get a smaller device that is also thin, but you will need to make due with a smaller battery.

Engineering is all about these tradeoffs. That is why there is no perfect device, and there never will be. One of the good things about WP, is that we at least get choices.

The Ativ S sacrificed rigidity and robustness in exchange for less weight and thickness. The Lumia 920 did the opposite. Both approaches have their merit. I think it might be helpful to think about these devices more in terms of tradeoffs, instead of "better" or "worse". Yes, some parts of the Ativ S might be flimsy and not have quite the best "feel" to them, but you get other desirable traits in return. It's almost always like that.
    Thanked by:
    Coreldan likes this.