Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 76 to 96 of 96
Like Tree43Likes
  1. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #76  
    The main advantages are the bigger battery, way thinner and lighter profile(much nicer to handle), bigger screen,
    and deeper blacks.

    The funny thing about all this though is that for all the people whining about the build quality of Samsung phones is that if the Ativ S is anything like the Galaxy S3, it runs circles around the HTX 8 X and Nokia Lumia 920 in true build quality.

    No overheating problems, reboots, creaks at the top of the phone, raised screens in one corner, power buttons that get flush after a few weeks, rattling volume rockers or other parts, light leakage through buttons and micro usb ports. Plastic yes but perfect clearance and precision engineered plastic that is tightly packed. Of course this won't go down well homers like Socialcarpet but it is true and anyone that has owned any Samsung mobile product knows it. Of course some claim they owned a GS3 and hate it but they are just full of crap usually.
  2. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    If AMOLED is so terrible why did NOKIA use it on the 82x?
    Maybe because it's a lower end phone? They used an IPS display on their flagship. HTC used an IPS on their flagship but went with AMOLED on lower end models like One S. Motorola is using IPS displays on new RAZR phones. Apple is using IPS displays too.
  3. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Maybe because it's a lower end phone? They used an IPS display on their flagship. HTC used an IPS on their flagship but went with AMOLED on lower end models like One S. Motorola is using IPS displays on new RAZR phones. Apple is using IPS displays too.
    I really doubt that for a few reasons.

    One, Nokia already said why they used that screen in an interview and they mentioned something about it being ridiculously fast, which is consistent with OLED displays.

    Two, Samsung and Sony are display veterans and Sony's best medical surgery monitor is OLED and Samsung chooses OLED displays for their high end phones despite having amazing LCD options like the one on the Galaxy camera. However, they do use LCD for most of their tablets including the amazing Nexus 10 display.

    Third, there are plenty of nice LCD screens they could have used for their lower end phones. HTC for example could have used the Rezound or Sensation screen for the One S. Besides, I wouldn't call the One S that much lower than the One X since they used the same internals and aluminum for the One S. Nokia could have used the Lumi 710 screen for their lower end models. Also, Nokia used AMOLED for their high end 2011 models like the N9, Lumia 800, and Lumia 900 and they used the LCD for the lower end 710 and 610. So I highly doubt they suddenly pulled a 180 after one year.
  4. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    366 Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    The main advantages are the bigger battery, way thinner and lighter profile(much nicer to handle), bigger screen,
    and deeper blacks.

    The funny thing about all this though is that for all the people whining about the build quality of Samsung phones is that if the Ativ S is anything like the Galaxy S3, it runs circles around the HTX 8 X and Nokia Lumia 920 in true build quality.

    No overheating problems, reboots, creaks at the top of the phone, raised screens in one corner, power buttons that get flush after a few weeks, rattling volume rockers or other parts, light leakage through buttons and micro usb ports. Plastic yes but perfect clearance and precision engineered plastic that is tightly packed. Of course this won't go down well homers like Socialcarpet but it is true and anyone that has owned any Samsung mobile product knows it. Of course some claim they owned a GS3 and hate it but they are just full of crap usually.
    Counter argument: Samsung focus flash-overheated, proximity sensor locked the phone up consistently, came apart if you looked at it wrong. I had one, I know. So don't claim "any" Samsung product.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
  5. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,376 Posts
    #80  
    I had a Sammy Focus and though it was a great phone it had issues just like every other device out there. It got very hot during calls. With Sammy being late to WP8 launch they are in a tough position on this platform. They are bound to loose money on this device.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
  6. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post
    I really doubt that for a few reasons.

    One, Nokia already said why they used that screen in an interview and they mentioned something about it being ridiculously fast, which is consistent with OLED displays.

    Two, Samsung and Sony are display veterans and Sony's best medical surgery monitor is OLED and Samsung chooses OLED displays for their high end phones despite having amazing LCD options like the one on the Galaxy camera. However, they do use LCD for most of their tablets including the amazing Nexus 10 display.

    Third, there are plenty of nice LCD screens they could have used for their lower end phones. HTC for example could have used the Rezound or Sensation screen for the One S. Besides, I wouldn't call the One S that much lower than the One X since they used the same internals and aluminum for the One S. Nokia could have used the Lumi 710 screen for their lower end models. Also, Nokia used AMOLED for their high end 2011 models like the N9, Lumia 800, and Lumia 900 and they used the LCD for the lower end 710 and 610. So I highly doubt they suddenly pulled a 180 after one year.
    Nokia is using AMOLED on their lowest end Lumia 505. So yes, AMOLED is now relegated to low end phones now. IPS is simply the better option
  7. Ruined's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    324 Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Nokia is using AMOLED on their lowest end Lumia 505. So yes, AMOLED is now relegated to low end phones now. IPS is simply the better option
    ...then why is the high end flat panel industry moving AWAY from IPS LCD over TO OLED? :)

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/25826...tv_panels.html

    I would give another possible explanation. Nokia couldn't get the larger AMOLED panels at the price and supply they needed.
  8. Podunks's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Etyrnus View Post
    Counter argument: Samsung focus flash-overheated, proximity sensor locked the phone up consistently, came apart if you looked at it wrong. I had one, I know. So don't claim "any" Samsung product.
    I did not have any of these issues... And had the phone for a year. It was flawless, and turned heads. Not an issue in sight for me.
  9. Etyrnus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    366 Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Podunks View Post
    I did not have any of these issues... And had the phone for a year. It was flawless, and turned heads. Not an issue in sight for me.
    That's my point. You can bad-mouth any product. My flash worked well for a year, but near the end of the year the battery was going, wouldn't hold a charge for more than about 5 hours. The back popped off if you breathed on it wrong. The proximity sensor was fixed when i forced the tango update. But I was getting at that you can have problems with a product from any manufacturer.

    Good alternative example, most people call Honda a reliable car company, I personally know several people that have lemon lawed their cars.
    Arguing with an ***** is like playing chess with a pigeon.
    You could be the greatest player in the world, but the pigeon will still knock over all the pieces, s--t on the board and strut around triumphantly-Tomtom6 on NcSportbikes.com
  10. tomatoes11's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Nokia is using AMOLED on their lowest end Lumia 505. So yes, AMOLED is now relegated to low end phones now. IPS is simply the better option
    Yes, ignore the fact where I stated that the most advanced surgery monitor, where lives depend on the colour, contrast, accuracy is OLED. Yes, IPS is simply better.......
  11. Daniel Ratcliffe's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    2,777 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,431 Global Posts
    #86  
    The advantage of the ATIV S over the Nokia Lumia 920 for me. Well there's two.
    1) Removable Battery. I go through two batteries a day with my HTC TITAN because I am tethering so much.
    2) microSD expansion slot. Good addition, gives the phone some real room to breathe. Of course I've only used 8GB on my HTC but on my next phone I'll probably use some more.

    "Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
  12. Shindou's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    microSD: This apparently means a lot to some people.
    Indeed it does :p

    External storage is important for people who use their phone for music and who take pictures and videos often.
  13. Bartdog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    209 Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shindou View Post
    Indeed it does :p

    External storage is important for people who use their phone for music and who take pictures and videos often.
    QFT. Had ~ 40GB on my Focus, I'm dying with the 16 on my L900. Have maxed it out twice. Holding out for the ATIV S mainly for this reason.
  14. gman1868's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #89  
    It's a great phone and we want one! Unfortunately they aren't available in the US on AT&T. wtf? Samsung needs to get their **** in a group.
  15. 1point8T's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #90  
    I had my ATIV S for a little less than two weeks without any issues and last night it just went crazy. When I took the phone out of my pocket it managed to turn itself off. After pulling the battery it was finally able to boot and then I noticed the camera stopped working. I hard reset the phone but the issue still persist and it seems as though it might be more common than I think according to these posts. As much as I'm satisfied with the ATIV S I think I'll try to exchange for the Lumia 920 as I prefer the additional software and support.
  16. weetigo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    132 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #91  
    After 3 weeks use, I find the slimness, bigger screen and microSD top features. The other huge plus is the battery, which is slightly larger and its easily outlasts the 920; lasts minimum a day, sometimes two days. Tom Warren recently tweeted a picture of his battery that showed he was into his 3rd day. From personal experience, I know I can stream Beem Plus at work all day and never worry about the battery.

    In terms of negatives, its got a quiet speaker, and I can sleep through the alarm. The audio quality has been pointed out to be bad by several people, but since I worked with a chainsaw as a lumberjack for 4 years, I don't notice it :) Further, its Bluetooth 3.0, so no apt-x wireless speakers for me. Finally, I'll miss Nokia location services, but I'll adjust. Its good news for me that Google Maps is coming to Windows Phone via browser due to the recent hooha.
  17. #92  
    Another advantages is the OLED display or SAMOLED so if you like deep blacks go for samsung.

    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
  18. D350's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #93  
    I have AtivS right now, everything well except no Nokia drive, which is a BIG MINUS!
    Some say it will come...but when? How sure? I'm pretty sure, it does not come with it now, at least I don't have it.
    Sadly, if navigation is important to you, go with the 920.
    Had s3 before and really miss navigation, and it works great on Nokia.
    I'm thinking of selling my Ativ and get Lumia.
  19. crystal_planet's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomatoes11 View Post


    precision engineered plastic .
    lol what?��
    My next phone...
  20. conanheath's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    450 Posts
    Global Posts
    563 Global Posts
    #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by D350 View Post
    I have AtivS right now, everything well except no Nokia drive, which is a BIG MINUS!
    Some say it will come...but when? How sure? I'm pretty sure, it does not come with it now, at least I don't have it.
    Sadly, if navigation is important to you, go with the 920.
    Had s3 before and really miss navigation, and it works great on Nokia.
    I'm thinking of selling my Ativ and get Lumia.
    Grass is always greener....I'm waiting for Ativ S on ATT or unlocked so I can get rid of 920. 😊
  21. D350's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #96  
    haha, good one.
    Got myself Note2 :(
    Navigon, Sygic... use navigation a lot.
    Maybe get Ativ and buy Navigon, but it is 60€!!

    hmmm
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

B