Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Muessig
  • 1 Post By Duvi
  • 2 Post By stmav
  • 1 Post By Penny_1
  • 1 Post By Muessig
  • 1 Post By DBDev
  • 1 Post By ejb222
  1.    #1  
    Over here in the 1020 forum I came across this thread: Community Expertise for Editing and Touching up Photos asking for different community input for editing, touching up photos. I offered in that thread to try to write a bit about the subject in a guide if there was enough interest, but I figured that since this is such a big topic I'd make a thread to see how much interest there is in the community for a resource like this.

Do you guys want to know how to take a picture from your phone to your pc and edit it in software like Photoshop to remove some of the noise, balance the colours and levels and different things like this to get the best from your pictures? How specific do you want the advice to be?

If there is any interest in something like this, post below any thoughts or comments and I can try to come back with something useful for everyone.
    Thanked by:
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    I would love this even thou I don't own a professional photo editing software.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,869 Global Posts
    That would be awesome.

I was watching a video on the differences between Lightroom and Elements... made me want to buy both, actually.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,869 Global Posts
    Found that video by typing it in to Google (sorry Bingers).

Muessig likes this.
    That sounds like a good idea. When I had my Lumia 800, I sometimes used Photoshop Elements to adjust levels and to try and make colours more apparent. Since I got the Lumia 920 and with an app like ProShot, I feel like I can get better quality pictures in the first place. However, having a post processing guide would be a great reference for when I do want to use Photoshop.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,472 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvi View Post
    Found that video by typing it in to Google (sorry Bingers).

You left WP. Course you were end up moving away from Microsoft products completely ;)

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,869 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Ratcliffe View Post
    You left WP. Course you were end up moving away from Microsoft products completely ;)
    Lmfao. Never left. Always with you guys.

In fact, I'm probably getting the 1020 and also the next flagship they release this year.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    Never question the Modfather!
    Duvi and BIGPADDY like this.
  9.    #9  
    So far we've specifically mentioned:

Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Lightroom
    Noise Removal
    Sharpening
    Colour/Tone/Hue Adjustments
    Cropping

What am I missing, or what needs to be added to the list?

Other basics might be Shadows, Highlights, Exposure, Saturation/Vibrancy. Don't know if it's necessary to explain these though or if we can assume people will be able to play around with these.

What I would recommend is using a couple of real-world, common examples to demonstrate how you should actually evaluate your picture to see what needs to be done. Personally I just play around in Lightroom until I start figuring out what looks good for each picture, but I'd like to know the thought process for more experienced photographers.
    Muessig likes this.
  11.    #11  
    That's a good suggestion Penny. Maybe the best approach would be to take specific pictures like a portrait, landscape, night shot and macro and talk through each one considering each of the above points. That way the guide would be as useful as it can be.
    Thanked by:
    Penny_1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny_1 View Post
    Other basics might be Shadows, Highlights, Exposure, Saturation/Vibrancy. Don't know if it's necessary to explain these though or if we can assume people will be able to play around with these.

What I would recommend is using a couple of real-world, common examples to demonstrate how you should actually evaluate your picture to see what needs to be done. Personally I just play around in Lightroom until I start figuring out what looks good for each picture, but I'd like to know the thought process for more experienced photographers.
    What he said. Yes please.
  13.    #13  
    Just to keep you up to date on this, I've not forgotten. I've been researching the various programs you can use and different techniques. I'll start writing the guide soon, but if you have any of the following types of pictures you'd like me to consider using in the guide, drop me a PM:
    • Portrait
    • Macro
    • Daytime Landscape/Subject
    • Night time Landscape/Subject
  14.    #14  
    With the news that new Lumia's will be getting RAW support I've started to extend the guide further. As above, if you have a picture you want to be edited and it fits into the above categories drop me a PM. I'll try to get this guide up around the same time the 1520 comes out.
    GIMP great and it free!

GIMP I also like the name!
    The craziest member on WPCentral!

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!

Global Posts
    2,395 Global Posts
    Now when the phones start to get RAW support I think this should be super good!
    BIGPADDY likes this.

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    I just downloaded the trial version of Adobe Lightroom 5. Works great. I'm going to have to watch some videos and play around some more in order to find it's full potential. Sample:
    Lumia 920 "unedited"
    2013_08_10_18_27_57_proshot%5B1%5D.jpg

Lightroom edit: I wanted to try to make the fly stand out more. Love the fact I can clean up the noise in the sky!
    2013_08_10_18_27_57_proshot.jpg

This one is more subtle...but cleaner and a bit more contrast due to better color...I think. I'm no pro so you tell me :P
    from the Lumia 920
    2013_10_19_07_27_26_proshot.jpg

Lightroom Edit.
    2013_10_19_07_27_26_proshot%5B1%5D.jpg
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/ejb222 http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejb222/
    Muessig likes this.