Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Can the Blackberry 10 edge Windows Phone out of 3rd place?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 36.52%
  • No

41 35.65%
  • Maybe

32 27.83%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dare2Blink View Post
    I seriously doubt that will be the case. what is wrong with xbox music? It works great for me? does rim allow any music service that allows unlimited streaming for free and unlimited downloading for 10 dollars a month? In case you have not noticed Skype is still in preview mode and no, even then it does not suck at all. By now it is common knowledge that instagram is in the works for a while now and with regards to games considering the recent promotion being made It should not be too long before Microsoft finally starts to deliver on that front.
    BB has BBM Music which is $5 a month for 50 songs and you get to keep all your friends 50 songs also for free.

Global Posts
    2,185 Global Posts
    I consider myself an enterprise user and to that end, BB10 will HAVE to offer Outlook Live Services calendar syncing if it hopes to woo back their old faithfuls. The minute OS6 & 7 dropped support for Live Services calendar syncing was the minute I left the platform. It may sound trivial to switch platforms over one function, but that one function is 80% of my smartphone needs.

Look at what happened with Nokia and Symbian and I think you'll see what will happen with BB10 and BB7. BB7 will drop off much faster than expected and BB10 just won't gain traction fast enough. Sure, it may have nearly as many apps as Android, so why not just get an Android device? RIM is going to be the manufacturer without an ecosystem. Nokia made a tough choice giving up control and going with Windows phone. Microsoft has been a TERRIBLE partner to Nokia, but I think that the only company that has a chance of surviving on their own is Apple. Samsung couldn't pull off a new OS right now, I don't see RIM doing it.

Well if they can piggy back ride on Android's "eco" system ... a lot of their issues as a software developer will kind of go away. I thought that is what Nokia will do with Maemo/MeeGo, and work on QT simultaneously.. but that didn't work.. maybe RIM can pull it off.

The only problem with android's apps is that they need a VM, and that would defeat the purpose of having such a clean system such as QNX in the first place. They also need a solid map/locations service application..

I dunno.. its a tough call. Like I said before, carrier support is everything... if they want to sell your phone, you get sales, if they don't.. you are done.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    windows phone has to take 3rd place from blackberry first.

BB10 looks amazing has has a ton of ittle features/settings wp doesn't have BUT im going to wait a few months to see if MS starts to support WP at least a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Villain View Post
    MS starts to support WP at least a bit
    What's wrong with the support now ? They are doing a pretty good job so far..

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I can't believe I am saying this: but I think BB10 has a shot at overtaking WP8. I thought RIM was dead, and figured their delayed launch of BB10 would be the nail in their coffin. However, other comments here are right, the WP8 launch didn't have much luster. I know WP8 was a big change, but it seems like app development has really slowed for WP8. Also MS is not taking advantage of things like Skype properly.

I want a good communication tool, that is what a phone is for. Perhaps RIM can do that better? We'll see. WebOS looked great (it was great!) but it died, perhaps BB10 will be the same way.
    Rim doesn't have enough capital to over take windows .. And talk about lack of apps .. Bb has no chance they should just partner up with somebody and develop software instead of trying to regain a foothold in the hardware business

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the real smackbo View Post
    Rim doesn't have enough capital to over take windows .. And talk about lack of apps .. Bb has no chance they should just partner up with somebody and develop software instead of trying to regain a foothold in the hardware business
    Capital doesn't decide who overtakes who, we the consumers will, no matter how much money each company has in the bank and BB10 will have more then 46/50 top apps...

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sirfly2fly View Post
    Capital doesn't decide who overtakes who, we the consumers will, no matter how much money each company has in the bank and BB10 will have more then 46/50 top apps...
    Ya, since major devs have just been chomping at the bit to develop for BB this far. My Playbook after almost two years still doesn't have Netflix, descent FB app, SkyDrive, one note, etc. I'm not talking side loading or third party apps. I'm talking the real deal, no work around. It really doesn't matter, BB or MS, whoever is third and fourth are still going to struggle to get dev support. Why would I write for 3% or 7% coverage when I can write for the other two with 70% coverage? But I would still write for MS because I can change a little code here and there and have PC, RT and WP covered. Triple play. Simple math will decide who gets the support. BB will still have a good hold on emerging markets but without SkyDrive, icloud, one note, gmail and ***. apps, and so many other features baked into OS, they don't have a chance. It's ecosystem and BB messenger won't save them this time. They may surprise, but their ecosystem is just so limited outside of enterprise market.

lets hope for 4 big platforms, that'd be ideal. Get some competition going, I have to admit the BB 10 looks gorgeous, not as nice as my lumia 920, but damn nice all the same.
    Thanked by:
    Villain and Gergolos like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sirfly2fly View Post
    The only reason android has so many apps is because it is open source .. Which means any junkie can make an app regardless of quality .. The only reason apple is so popular is because they have a massive marketing budget same with Microsoft.. Rim doesn't have the available cash or the credentials to make it with out a massive marketing campaign .. They also don't have the market share to just spit out any app like android .. In order for them to succeed they have to flood the market with advertisements and get all the popular apps and also have exclusive apps as well .. That said ... its just another android phone put into an iPhone 5 case .. Unless it was free why would I waste my time

Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    , SkyDrive, one note, etc.
    I would say that Microsoft's back end is very, very solid .. and that might save wp and them as a company in the end. Their efforts with Windows Azure and the rest of the cloud services their offer seem to be very good. SkyDrive is the best cloud storage available (I think) and it integrates with Windows very well.

After watching this Windows Azure Internals | Build 2012 | Channel 9 I am pretty confident that they got this one down. It seems like they have their best people working on it.. now I think its time to spend some time on the Windows Phone venture because that is a big part of the puzzle.

RIM has no way to match that... they need to partner up with several different companies to even get close to Microsoft's services...

But I don't really know how much of that matters at the end.. we will see. Windows Phone 8 is at 1.0 right now.. it will take some time for it to mature. And let's not forget that Windows NT was never meant to be used on a mobile phone, so it will be a tremendous effort to make it work properly. RIM will have an easier time with QNX...
    a5cent likes this.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    From what I've seen on the 'leaks', BB10 is a commendable OS; their app count jumped 15,000 in two days - which is quite impressive for a brand new, unproven environment; and the general public opinion is that BBs (including the antiquated ones) are more robust, reliable and overall just plain better when it comes to security.

MS on the other hand is sitting on a gold mine wasting their time - they have a ton of business such as Xbox, Skype, Office, Skydrive and just can't seem to figure out how to best integrate them on WP8. I mean come on, Skype's still in beta??
    And Office on WP8 doesn't even have as many features as some never-heard-of-it-before productivity app on android.
    And if things weren't bad enough for them, Google's declared an all-out war on MS openly declaring they won't be bothered with the W8/WP8 platforms. Which is bad coz like it or not Google *does* dictate a lot of things that matter (like YouTube and Maps for instance).

Also, like someone above pointed out, RIM's been busy flooding the market with entry level Curves at throw-away prices while working on their flagship - while WP8 has like, 3-4 flagships and a couple of almost-low-end phones. Not to mention the whole bunch of Mango phones which were ignored and early adopters laughed in their faces. Not exactly the best strategy to win customer loyalty.

But in a way this is a good thing - competition is what made iOS and android grow, and WP8 needs a worthy competitor to get back in the game. And from what I've seen, BB10 is one.
    Villain likes this.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by conanheath View Post
    Ya, since major devs have just been chomping at the bit to develop for BB this far. My Playbook after almost two years still doesn't have Netflix, descent FB app, SkyDrive, one note, etc. I'm not talking side loading or third party apps. I'm talking the real deal, no work around. It really doesn't matter, BB or MS, whoever is third and fourth are still going to struggle to get dev support. Why would I write for 3% or 7% coverage when I can write for the other two with 70% coverage? But I would still write for MS because I can change a little code here and there and have PC, RT and WP covered. Triple play. Simple math will decide who gets the support. BB will still have a good hold on emerging markets but without SkyDrive, icloud, one note, gmail and ***. apps, and so many other features baked into OS, they don't have a chance. It's ecosystem and BB messenger won't save them this time. They may surprise, but their ecosystem is just so limited outside of enterprise market.
    You don't have it because your PB does not have BB10, RIM didn't push PB and it wasn't a finished product we all know this... major devs were obviously waiting for BB10 as you can see some of the ones announced were never on the PB. idk what you mean about that ecosystem being limited outside of PB statement

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    A lot of you will be surprised when you see some of the major devs unveiled on Jan 30th, including one of your own...

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts
    BlackBerry 10 first impression: Nifty features
    Should the BB 10 catch on with consumers, it could establish itself as a secondary, viable alternative to iPhone and Android, says Carl Howe, a Yankee Group analyst who says the embattled RIM still has life left in it.
    It's this mentality that drives me crazy. WP is already a great alternative but still gets the Rodney Dangerfield from many folks : /

RIM looks good in most markets.. I was wrong about their global reach earlier. But it seem like they lost a lot in the US, and Windows Phone gained.. so according to this, WP is the 3rd one in the US currently.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vlad0 View Post
    RIM looks good in most markets.. I was wrong about their global reach earlier. But it seem like they lost a lot in the US, and Windows Phone gained.. so according to this, WP is the 3rd one in the US currently.

http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/up...12-600x513.png
    Dang that is a steep drop for them

ya.. I don't how accurate those stats are, but.. it seems like they lost quite a bit in the US.

Here is another global one.. RIM did very well from '08 to '10. It sort of followed the Symbian curve, just on a much smaller scale. Now that brown line... no bueno, but I feel like MS will see big gains in 2013.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Jeez rim is doing what MS should be doing.

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    RIM has learn from their mistakes. The had the Playbook which was a nice piece of hardware but the no apps to support it. Now they are going all out with BB10 and they are making sure that the apps will be there at launch. Not like MS with their promise of 46/50 top apps. Still waiting for Pandora, Facebook and YouTube.

Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    RIM has learn from their mistakes. The had the Playbook which was a nice piece of hardware but the no apps to support it. Now they are going all out with BB10 and they are making sure that the apps will be there at launch. Not like MS with their promise of 46/50 top apps. Still waiting for Pandora, Facebook and YouTube.
    I am really counting on MS. I really hope they do not fail on us. I have my 920 and i5 and just currently went back to the i5. Hardware and OS is great its just the app sh%t needs to get together already MS c'mon. For my android fix I have my Nexus 7. BB is playing this very smart.

If BB10 is relatively stable, and has the essential 3rd party apps (voip, maps, music.. youtube) .. it should be fine. It seems like there is a lot functionality built into the OS, which would eliminate the need for an "app"..

I will test it out for sure.. I wonder if they will be selling those unlocked with AT&T bands on board
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast