I'm in the states on AT&T and I'm a bit sick of waiting. That 920 is starting to look really good. Should I keep waiting for the ATIV S to come out on AT&T or should I just get the 920?

Does anyone know if the ATIV S will even come OUT in North America
    Quote Originally Posted by roxxas2 View Post
    I'm in the states on AT&T and I'm a bit sick of waiting. That 920 is starting to look really good. Should I keep waiting for the ATIV S to come out on AT&T or should I just get the 920?

Does anyone know if the ATIV S will even come OUT in North America
    Not sure about the US, but in Canada, its available on all major providers (Bell, Rogers, Telus)

Global Posts
    1,160 Global Posts
    What is Your deciding factor towards the Ativ as it is now?

I had two major concerns with the 920 before I got it. Size and Weight.

It took me about 10 minutes to get used to and by now I wouldn't want it any other way.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by mio_BB View Post
    What is Your deciding factor towards the Ativ as it is now?

I had two major concerns with the 920 before I got it. Size and Weight.

It took me about 10 minutes to get used to and by now I wouldn't want it any other way.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Same. The only deciding factors I would go for Ativ instead of L920:
    -The weight
    -The expendable storage
    -Removable battery

For everything else I would take L920 any day, just a superior device all-around. To name a few:
    -Camera and IS video shoot
    -Nokia exclusive apps and OS support
    -Cool, like-no-other design and colour options. Best design FOR the WP interface in my opinion. The Ativ you could simply imagine it with Android
    -Super-sensitive touchscreen, wireless charging, rich-recording technology

I'm really just a Samsung fanboy. But if you all say there won't be a Samsung Windows Phone 8 for AT&T within this year, I'll just go for the 920.
    Samsungs are nice, I buy alot of Samsung products, my last WP was the Samsung Focus. I can tell you that the Nokia Lumia 920 is one beautiful phone. 32GB's are plenty internal storage and Skydrive allows you a little extra. Weight is not an issue, seriously.... people think its this brick of a phone but the weight to me feels perfect for the phone. I also really like the polycarbonate body.

Between Samsung / Nokia, Nokia provides better continuous care for their phones. Samsung barely did anything with their first gen phones, and IMO the Ativ S is just a renamed GS3. I was really hoping Samsung would jump in with both feet for WP8 and design a really nice phone instead of copping out and just slapying WP8 on an android phone essentially. Nokia showed with the 900 that they will go out of their way to fix issues with their hardware, and in a somewhat timely manner. They already have put out an update trying to fix the camera and battery issues in the 920.

Thats my 2 cents.

Global Posts
    1,080 Global Posts
    I'd go with Nokia just based on the fact they support their products 100%

Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    I'd go with Nokia just based on the fact they support their products 100%
    Yea but, it is REALLY hard to give up the features that the 920 misses out on. Changable battery and expanadable storage. In this day and age those 2 things would be almost a deal breaker for a lot of people. I guess I could live with out the changable battery as long as it's got good life but, Microsoft's Flagship of the new OS with out one of the big features (MicroSDXC support)....sigh, almost a perfect phone...ALMOST

Still would of gotten one if it came to verizon tho...
    PPC6800 ->HTC Touch Pro 2 ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

The other challenge with the ATIV may be the price. They'll likely release it for $199 on a 2-year.

The Lumia is built better has better support and is 99 for a 32 gb device its very generous of Nokia to offer such a great value
    The Ativ is a great device. I love mine. That being said, I'd rather have the 920... And I will once I get my income tax return!

But the Samsung has a pentile screen which means you have 720 width for green only, red and blue are only 360 across - even the WP7.x generation was 480. Wouldn't touch a Samsung with a 40 foot barge pole while wearing a lead suit standing on an isolation mat double bagged down there and got every vaccination under the sun.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    Depends on your preferences. Both devices have their strong sides. Camera, color choices, massive support, wireless charging are 920s strong points.
    Expandable storage, removable battery and given this is Samsung, it will most likely have more accessories as well. But given that Ativ S launch was so quiet and unnoticed, I doubt there will be any kind of major support.

There are still no news on Ativ S availability in US. Nobody knows when or if it will get to AT&T. Who knows, by the time it gets to AT&T, there might be new hardware on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by david90531 View Post
    Same. The only deciding factors I would go for Ativ instead of L920:
    -The weight
    -The expendable storage
    -Removable battery

For everything else I would take L920 any day, just a superior device all-around. To name a few:
    -Camera and IS video shoot
    -Nokia exclusive apps and OS support
    -Cool, like-no-other design and colour options. Best design FOR the WP interface in my opinion. The Ativ you could simply imagine it with Android
    -Super-sensitive touchscreen, wireless charging, rich-recording technology
    Agreed with all above ... just compare voice of videos to catch rich-recording technology (great microphones of Lumia 920) ... and outdoor visibility is also clearly better in Lumia 920 ... anyway, both are great wp8 phones ...

Quote Originally Posted by 50000 View Post
    But the Samsung has a pentile screen which means you have 720 width for green only, red and blue are only 360 across - even the WP7.x generation was 480. Wouldn't touch a Samsung with a 40 foot barge pole while wearing a lead suit standing on an isolation mat double bagged down there and got every vaccination under the sun.
    Same screen as the SGS3, iirc.
    Which had an amazing screen.
    People get bent out of shape about pentile, and its ridicolous on screens like the sgs3. On the Lumia800 it was a problem, but not on the screens like the SGS3.

Dont worry about the "ooo its pentile so its bad" thing, its just misinformation and ignorance.
    Note that what I mean when I write ignorance is is a lack of Information, not some deep personal attack. So lets not fly off the handle :) .

That being said Id go for the 920.
    Better screen
    Gloved use
    Nokia apps
    Design
    Direct Sunlight readability
    Camera
    Wireless charging

And much more.

Ativ has more Battery, but my 920 lasts about as long as my sgs3, which is very very good. And since i got a wireless charger on my nightstand i havent even thought about it.

I love my 920 and wouldn't consider trading it. Battery is awesome and 32GB is plenty for my needs. Got used to the size and weight and now prefer it because it's got a nice large screen which is easy to type on (for large fingers) and it feels more substantial than lighter phones. It's a killer device if you're aware of and okay with the current WP8 app selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Slai View Post
    Same screen as the SGS3, iirc.
    Which had an amazing screen.
    People get bent out of shape about pentile, and its ridicolous on screens like the sgs3. On the Lumia800 it was a problem, but not on the screens like the SGS3.

Dont worry about the "ooo its pentile so its bad" thing, its just misinformation and ignorance.
    Yes seems some people don't mind about it, but all I can see is dot dot dot dot dot dot on the cheap Samsung screen. And also out of general principal I don't agree with giving money to a company for producing cheap junk when the engineers at Nokia have done such a superb job with the 920.

In any case I would highly recommend putting the 920 and alternative side by side to compare the screens, and certainly never purchase a pentile screen device sight-unseen.

Maybe they did something different for the Ativ, but you see no pixels on the sgs3s screen...
    Pentile is really ONLY a problem on low res screens like wp7.5 devices and the likes (n9).
    I can see the pentile on my Ativ even at arm's length (I can read the manufacturers fine print at the bottom of the eye chart without squinting) but it doesn't bother me. The screen is still great. And as far as the "cheap junk" thing, my last Samsung phone was hurled across a parking lot about 40' and bounced twice before hitting a wood fence after my wife hung up on me, and survived 3 separate toilet swimming trips BEFORE I knew the rice trick (I did pull the battery right away) during 2 years of usage. It was still working great when I replaced it with my HD7, which lasted 16 months before it stopped taking a charge, forcing me to use an early upgrade on my current Ativ S instead of waiting for my income tax return and buying a 920 from Rogers and unlocking it like I originally planned.

That being said, 50000 has a good point about not buying a pentile device without seeing it first, cuz it really bothers some people. Spend a bit of time with a gs3 display model while you're waiting for the Ativ S to come out to assess whether it will be a problem. Or if you live close to the Canadian border, cross over and look at a Canadian Ativ S. All 3 major carriers here use the same bands as ATT, including LTE, and will also work on T-Mobile's dual HSPA+ as well. (once carrier unlocked)