Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    Reading threads like this are pretty funny to me. There was a mobile OS that addressed all of the issues people complain about on their respective phones. It was called WebOS - and if more people had given it a try, it may have existed on better hardware that could take advantage of its power. I really miss true multi-tasking and the best notification scheme (which was subsequently copied by everyone else) - oh, and the ability to just swipe all of those open apps off the screen!
    Oh i agree...Webos was the best OS around...i loved the software.
    it was so intuitive.....

I hope Microsoft/Wp8 does not go the way of that as it be a shame to see such potential go to waste.

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts
    In my experience i played with an iphone 4s after selling my friend my hd7s because he wanted a windows phone and the only thing he could offer as payment at the time was his iphone. To me heres what i found best and worst about the iphone. i enjoyed the ability to get any and all apps available. but aside from that everything else came off as a gimick.
    every smartphone can do messaging, they can all do, email phone calls, check my bank account, read forums and tech blogs, and be used as alarm clocks and calendars. so aside from having a clear advantage in developer support i didnt see much to the iphone. and android is no different to me. In my honest opinion, i believe that windows phone is the most aesthetically pleasing, fun, interactive, smartphone. Even more important than that its the most practical and the most consolidated. because im invested in the microsoft ecosystem and that makes it work even better with my stuff. and xbox music may be rough around the edges but i still think it offers the most for your buck as opposed to android music and itunes.
    Nataku4ca likes this.
    I agree with the OP. Nothing wrong with iphone but one cannot deny that it feels dated. If it wasn't for their app portfolio it would have nothing going for it imo. It was a basic app launcher when it came on the scene and it really hasn't evolved much since. I for one am glad that I never invested in that ecosystem. I have a bunch of android apps that I can no longer use but most were free. So happy I jumped to WP.
    Micah Dawson likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    To be fair, the earlier point about Android being BlackBerry-like before the iPhone shipped is true. Google was showing developer betas of Android, and it was a non-touchscreen BlackBerry-6-like OS with a form factor ripped off of the BlackBerry Tour series (down to the trackball).

When Apple launched iOS, touch became the rage (rather than a supplemental feature of resistive phones like the Palm OS, Symbian and Windows Mobile phones of the time).

Google launched a crash program to alter Android to catch up for commercial release, and the code was modified. However, this was the origin of much of the lagging and crashing for which even the latest versions of Android are notorious -- the event handling subsystem for Android was never designed to accept touch or multi-touch input, nor handle the on-screen animations required for touch/swipe/gestures.

As a result, Android in its present form will always be laggy and generally lousy at touch. And it remains, largely, a clone of iOS.

Here's one of Google's first public prototypes of Android, from MWC in 2008:

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pdch View Post
    Reading threads like this are pretty funny to me. There was a mobile OS that addressed all of the issues people complain about on their respective phones. It was called WebOS - and if more people had given it a try, it may have existed on better hardware that could take advantage of its power. I really miss true multi-tasking and the best notification scheme (which was subsequently copied by everyone else) - oh, and the ability to just swipe all of those open apps off the screen!
    Very true. It makes me want to shake my fist at the sky and, in Angry Palm Guy parlance, scream "PALLLLLLLM!"
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12