Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree14Likes
  1. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #1  
    Rather than share what has been a horrid series of posts and threads on how much the Lumia 920 sucks, I wanted to share a different take on things and highlight some of the pieces of the Lumia 920 that I will miss.

    First, where am I going?

    I've mentioned before that I'm heavily invested in Google. I'm aware now more than ever as to who owns my information and what can be done with it however Google arguably handles this front the best. The best Gmail experience is to be had on an Android phone, and since I'm going to be married to Google applications for the long-term I'm not prepared to go through a nasty divorce. So yes, I have returned to an Android based device for the time being. Within 10 minutes I was already updating and whizzing through the OS.

    Why did I leave? Just because of Google?

    To be honest, Google is both the reason I left Android and the reason I came back. Google apps run my personal ecosystem. While those apps and services can be mimiced by competing Windows Phone applications the reality is there isn't enough consistency with them. There aren't enough big house developers on board with the platform yet. Music syncing is broken. My phone(s) have become a huge source of entertainment and functionality, so when I cannot perform basic tasks without employing half a dozen work arounds I do find it frustrating. The experience isn't nearly as drawn out on Android for my specific needs.

    Haven't you said purchase a device for what it is, not what it will be?

    Yes, and for what it's worth the Lumia 920 is still an excellent buy. I will miss the solid build quality and construction, although it's easy to see from reading the forums that not all Lumia 920's were created equally and there are units out in cicrulation that suffer from production issues. Those will be resolved over time so for anyone considering making the jump I still wouldn't hesitate if this was your only concern. Windows Phone is a smooth operating system and its 'at a glance' nature keeps you from being a slave to your device. Many people would benefit from this layout. Android, however, isn't purely a system of menu after menu to get to the one option you want. Like Windows desktop software there is more than one way to do something.

    I didn't get another Android phone for customization. I find that many "skins" and overlays are indeed bloatware and take away from the Android experience. I do understand that their purpose is generally to make the phone more accessible to the user but this goal is not always accomplished and as a result devices do take a performance hit. Rooting a device solves this in most cases, though I feel the practice shouldn't be necessary to make a phone usable. I don't plan on rooting this particular device as it has the Jellybean update pending.

    Was it the camera?

    Not at all. I love the camera on the Lumia 920 and in the month I owned it I was able to capture nice photos and videos that otherwise wouldn't be possible on a phone. Nokia raised the bar and should be commended for their efforts. The issue with soft photos is very subjective. Whether you choose to side with the rationale that the photos should be just right from the start is up to you. With my Lumia 900 I found myself using the auto-fix option after nearly every shot. With the 920 I only used it if I felt colors were off and I used editing tools if I wanted to get creative.

    What phone did you move to and why?

    The model is irrelevant since utlmiately I'm going back to Android for the consistent experience with Google. I could talk about a better camera (it isn't), outstanding battery life (its about the same) and a stylish design (its plain) but that didn't make deciding on this any easier. I will say that I have removable storage again but I don't have a removable battery. Call quality is slightly better and that is still 70% of what I use my phone for.

    There is a chance that as Windows Phone matures I will test the waters again but I probably won't go with any of the launch devices and hold out for something more refined. I don't consider myself a Google, Microsoft, Nokia or any other OS/device fanboy. I go with what works. For me. I'll still browse this forum because I think the Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware. I personally wasn't getting what I wanted out of it and had an opportunity to move from a month old device to a brand new in box device that had not been activated. You don't get those too often, especially for higher-end phones.

    Enjoy the Lumia 920 everyone. In the end it just wasn't right for me and I'm not afraid to admit that.
    Thanked by:
    phirefly and Koato8 like this.
  2. congusano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    Rather than share what has been a horrid series of posts and threads on how much the Lumia 920 sucks, I wanted to share a different take on things and highlight some of the pieces of the Lumia 920 that I will miss.

    First, where am I going?

    I've mentioned before that I'm heavily invested in Google. I'm aware now more than ever as to who owns my information and what can be done with it however Google arguably handles this front the best. The best Gmail experience is to be had on an Android phone, and since I'm going to be married to Google applications for the long-term I'm not prepared to go through a nasty divorce. So yes, I have returned to an Android based device for the time being. Within 10 minutes I was already updating and whizzing through the OS.

    Why did I leave? Just because of Google?

    To be honest, Google is both the reason I left Android and the reason I came back. Google apps run my personal ecosystem. While those apps and services can be mimiced by competing Windows Phone applications the reality is there isn't enough consistency with them. There aren't enough big house developers on board with the platform yet. Music syncing is broken. My phone(s) have become a huge source of entertainment and functionality, so when I cannot perform basic tasks without employing half a dozen work arounds I do find it frustrating. The experience isn't nearly as drawn out on Android for my specific needs.

    Haven't you said purchase a device for what it is, not what it will be?

    Yes, and for what it's worth the Lumia 920 is still an excellent buy. I will miss the solid build quality and construction, although it's easy to see from reading the forums that not all Lumia 920's were created equally and there are units out in cicrulation that suffer from production issues. Those will be resolved over time so for anyone considering making the jump I still wouldn't hesitate if this was your only concern. Windows Phone is a smooth operating system and its 'at a glance' nature keeps you from being a slave to your device. Many people would benefit from this layout. Android, however, isn't purely a system of menu after menu to get to the one option you want. Like Windows desktop software there is more than one way to do something.

    I didn't get another Android phone for customization. I find that many "skins" and overlays are indeed bloatware and take away from the Android experience. I do understand that their purpose is generally to make the phone more accessible to the user but this goal is not always accomplished and as a result devices do take a performance hit. Rooting a device solves this in most cases, though I feel the practice shouldn't be necessary to make a phone usable. I don't plan on rooting this particular device as it has the Jellybean update pending.

    Was it the camera?

    Not at all. I love the camera on the Lumia 920 and in the month I owned it I was able to capture nice photos and videos that otherwise wouldn't be possible on a phone. Nokia raised the bar and should be commended for their efforts. The issue with soft photos is very subjective. Whether you choose to side with the rationale that the photos should be just right from the start is up to you. With my Lumia 900 I found myself using the auto-fix option after nearly every shot. With the 920 I only used it if I felt colors were off and I used editing tools if I wanted to get creative.

    What phone did you move to and why?

    The model is irrelevant since utlmiately I'm going back to Android for the consistent experience with Google. I could talk about a better camera (it isn't), outstanding battery life (its about the same) and a stylish design (its plain) but that didn't make deciding on this any easier. I will say that I have removable storage again but I don't have a removable battery. Call quality is slightly better and that is still 70% of what I use my phone for.

    There is a chance that as Windows Phone matures I will test the waters again but I probably won't go with any of the launch devices and hold out for something more refined. I don't consider myself a Google, Microsoft, Nokia or any other OS/device fanboy. I go with what works. For me. I'll still browse this forum because I think the Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware. I personally wasn't getting what I wanted out of it and had an opportunity to move from a month old device to a brand new in box device that had not been activated. You don't get those too often, especially for higher-end phones.

    Enjoy the Lumia 920 everyone. In the end it just wasn't right for me and I'm not afraid to admit that.
    Ok.
    Kredrian likes this.
  3. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #3  
    So you felt the need to use the quote feature and mark down "OK"? That's awesome.
  4. abhishek8605's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    196 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    So you felt the need to use the quote feature and mark down "OK"? That's awesome.
    Not trying to bash you or anything, but what was the point of creating this topic? Your post really does not leave anything open for discussion.
  5. Pedro Hicken's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    101 Posts
    #5  
    Good luck with your new phone! We cant all like the same thing.
  6. #6  
    I had dropped connection issues and music player problems with my Nokia Lumia 920 so I sent it back for a full refund.

    My plan was to go back to Android, however I actually miss my 920 and regret sending back as I'm sure future Nokia/Microsoft software upgrades would have sorted my problems out in time.
  7. congusano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    So you felt the need to use the quote feature and mark down "OK"? That's awesome.

    So you felt the need to let us all know, in a Nokia Lumia 920 forum, that you no longer own a Nokia Lumia 920?

    Brb, need to let all the iphone forums know I don't have my iphone anymore.
    Thanked by:
  8. Zarfus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    So you felt the need to use the quote feature and mark down "OK"? That's awesome.
    What exactly are you missing regarding google experience? My gmail pushes as it comes...my contacts, calendars, etc are all synced. I came from android, and if anything, this is more organized. I'm just curious.
    Thanked by:
  9. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by congusano View Post
    So you felt the need to let us all know, in a Nokia Lumia 920 forum, that you no longer own a Nokia Lumia 920?

    Brb, need to let all the iphone forums know I don't have my iphone anymore.
    Well, if I have to explain the reason for my thread to you I will.

    In short, I was leaving and saying why. If the topic of the thread and the content that followed wasn't interesting to you other than to lob a few remarks about how non-essential this, why bother?
  10. abhishek8605's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    196 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    Well, if I have to explain the reason for my thread to you I will.

    In short, I was leaving and saying why. If the topic of the thread and the content that followed wasn't interesting to you other than to lob a few remarks about how non-essential this, why bother?
    I think his point, and my point as well, is that you really leave no topic open for discussion. This is a forum, people are here to discuss. Your post is more informative, which is fine but really you can't expect anyone to contribute anything to this topic since you have already made up your mind. Had you come here looking for answers, it might have been different.
    Thanked by:
  11. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarfus View Post
    What exactly are you missing regarding google experience? My gmail pushes as it comes...my contacts, calendars, etc are all synced. I came from android, and if anything, this is more organized. I'm just curious.
    • Gmail didn't sync correctly all the time.
    • Not all files were supported.
    • I couldn't few all the calendars I was subscribed to. (even after using m.google.com/sync)
    • Syncing with "All Mail" gave my inbox fits. I realize this is Google's non-standard approach that causes the issue but I can't migrate from Google right now.
    • I have more luck with Google Navigation than Nokia Drive. I paid for Navigon and removed Nokia Drive+ Beta and Nokia Maps and downloaded the shortcut for Bing Maps from the Windows Phone store.
    • My content is already with Google, and Google isn't committed to supporting the Windows Phone platform. Right now that will require me to go through a nasty divorce with Google. It's cheaper to keep her - might not have applied to marriage as my father always felt it did but when it comes to phones it just might.


    This is all fairly subjective I'm sure and maybe people are OK with the alternatives and workarounds. I wasn't. I also wasn't trying to bash Nokia because they put together a great phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek8605 View Post
    I think his point, and my point as well, is that you really leave no topic open for discussion. This is a forum, people are here to discuss. Your post is more informative, which is fine but really you can't expect anyone to contribute anything to this topic since you have already made up your mind. Had you come here looking for answers, it might have been different.
    Zarfus managed to engage in conversation. It isn't impossible.
  12. machina's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    25 Posts
    #12  
    I left iPhone (outdated / boring) and Android (messy / cheesy / laggy) and never looked back.

    To each his own.
    Jaybotics likes this.
  13. jdhooghe's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,158 Global Posts
    #13  
    The OP thinks that they are important and Nokia/WP is suffering a loss or this post is more of a justification to themselves that their actions are the "right" ones. Whatever the case, let the OP waste time writing this post and the one in the android forums detailing his "horrible" experience to the other android users. No one cares. Let this self important person fade into nothingness. We have our 920s\8xs and he has his android. Everyone's happy
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    HTC Droid Incredible(2 replacements) --> Nokia Lumia 900(Briefly)/Apple iPhone 4s --> Nokia Lumia 920(3 replacements) --> BlackBerry Z10(2 replacements) --> HTC One(3 replacements) --> Samsung Galaxy S4(Briefly) --> iPhone 5 --> iPhone 6+
  14. abhishek8605's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    196 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    • Gmail didn't sync correctly all the time.
    • Not all files were supported.
    • I couldn't few all the calendars I was subscribed to. (even after using m.google.com/sync)
    • Syncing with "All Mail" gave my inbox fits. I realize this is Google's non-standard approach that causes the issue but I can't migrate from Google right now.
    • I have more luck with Google Navigation than Nokia Drive. I paid for Navigon and removed Nokia Drive+ Beta and Nokia Maps and downloaded the shortcut for Bing Maps from the Windows Phone store.
    • My content is already with Google, and Google isn't committed to supporting the Windows Phone platform. Right now that will require me to go through a nasty divorce with Google. It's cheaper to keep her - might not have applied to marriage as my father always felt it did but when it comes to phones it just might.


    This is all fairly subjective I'm sure and maybe people are OK with the alternatives and workarounds. I wasn't. I also wasn't trying to bash Nokia because they put together a great phone.



    Zarfus managed to engage in conversation. It isn't impossible.
    I'm sorry but I do not see the point in discussing what you missed from Google IF you have already made up your mind and gone back to Android. It's not like if we come up with solutions to your problems now that you will switch back to WP8, right?
  15. Zarfus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by machina View Post
    I left iPhone (outdated / boring) and Android (messy / cheesy / laggy) and never looked back.

    To each his own.
    I agree...I read this forum and see all the issues people have with their lumia's. Not me. I'm astounded how much of an upgrade I got from android for how little I paid.
  16. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhooghe View Post
    The OP thinks that they are important and Nokia/WP is suffering a loss or this post is more of a justification to themselves that their actions are the "right" ones. Whatever the case, let the OP waste time writing this post and the one in the android forums detailing his "horrible" experience to the other android users. No one cares. Let this self important person fade into nothingness. We have our 920s\8xs and he has his android. Everyone's happy
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Self-important person? "Horrible" experience?

    /scans thread

    I see none of this. I do see you insulting me, though. So there's that.
  17. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by abhishek8605 View Post
    It's not like if we come up with solutions to your problems now that you will switch back to WP8, right?
    Why would you think I wanted you to come up with solutions to the issues I was facing?
  18. abhishek8605's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    196 Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    Why would you think I wanted you to come up with solutions to the issues I was facing?
    Okay, so you have left WP8 for Android, what's left to discuss/talk about? Enjoy your new Android device.
  19. congusano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wamsille View Post
    Why would you think I wanted you to come up with solutions to the issues I was facing?
    Why would you think anyone would want to read your reason for leaving then, if you didn't want solutions to your answers?
    I replied with "ok" because I didn't know what your post was going to contain, so I read the entire thing and found that when I got to the end, you just simply wanted to let us know why you are leaving.

    Would you of rather me wish you good luck, with an added "we'll miss you"?
    abhishek8605 likes this.
  20. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
    #20  
    Every time someone posts something like this in a forum supporting the device he/she is giving up, it's like a pack of wolves lunging for a kill.

    Look, guys, chill out. I see what he's trying to do. He's actually a bit torn over his decision. I read it as "If Windows Phone 8 had more Google support/services, I'd stay" and that's a valid observation. Of course, Microsoft would be silly to support Google servies better than their own, but I'm a Google guy too and I see the limitations imposed on me due to my choice to use a Lumia 920 as my daily driver.

    I have both the Lumia 920 and Note II and I'm torn between them on a daily basis. My Lumia is still my daily driver because I love the interface, wireless charging, and Social Network integration. I see the benefits of each platform and what drives each individual to switch is as varied as any other impulse we have.

    If you're happy with your Lumia, it's easy to see one of these threads and go for the jugular. But he wasn't bashing the platform. He was merely venting what was probably a frustrating decision for him.
    tmotytn likes this.
  21. Optimus82's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #21  
    Curious.. what phone did you get?

    I miss my Galaxy Note. Gave it to my wife. She wont even let me touch it. I think she is afraid the fire between the Note and I had will spark once again and we will run off together.
    StevesBalls likes this.
  22. StevesBalls's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    167 Posts
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus82 View Post
    Curious.. what phone did you get?
    My bet is the HTC One X (or One X+). :)
  23. david90531's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    895 Posts
    #23  
    Being a past Android user I wish you the best. I know as a fact that I will be staying with WP for a long while. Loving everything about my L920 :)
  24. slashd0t's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    #24  
    I get being all in with an entire ecosystem.. Up until now, I have been playing in all ecosystems (iOS, Android and now MSFT).. I have a Lumia 920 and a Nexus 7 today.. I've counted myself out of the iOS world, but, now struggling which I want to full commit to. If Android offered Music in Canada, it would be an easy switch. Right now, I'm just happy with my Nexus and 920..

    Best wishes on your Android path!
  25. gravage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    481 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by StevesBalls View Post
    My bet is the HTC One X (or One X+). :)
    God, I hope not. The broken Multitasking on the new HTCs pretty much ruins them for me. But based on his description, you're probably right.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No more Lumia 710....
    By mase123987 in forum Nokia Lumia 710
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
  2. No More "Extras" in Pictures Hub??
    By puredrive07 in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 08:58 AM
  3. No more Samsung handsets???
    By Apoc in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 11:05 PM

Posting Permissions