Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I will be procuring two WP8 devices on two separate networks. The Nokia 920, on AT&T, this Friday... and the HTC 8X, on T-Mobile, next Wednesday.

I will alternate between devices on a daily basis as my daily driver and will report back on the user experience.

Towards the end of the 14-day trial period, I will decide which device I am going to keep, and why.

I will post photos and videos and answer questions. And we shall see where this goes!

And you're going to be unbiased, right? ;)

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I won't claim to be unbiased. I will simply provide my perspective. It's more than what most would do, and I'm genuinely interested to see what the differences are in day-to-day use.

Sorry brmiller1976 but seeing you around this forum i can't help to think anything actually neutral coming out of your mouth.

Though i would certainly be interested of some newcomers that might have used both phones for a week or two.

Fair enough brm. Looking forward to it.
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    Sorry brmiller1976 but seeing you around this forum i can't help to think anything actually neutral coming out of your mouth.
    I'm going to be brutally honest -- I really don't give two flips what you think.

You're welcome to try the same challenge yourself and share your own perspectives, or you can rejoin your compatriots in the fanboy peanut gallery. Your choice. :)
    tk-093 likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,767 Global Posts
    br549, what made you decide to give the 920 a spin?

Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Because...

Admit it, you read it in his voice... :lol:

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stmav View Post
    Curiosity and a relentless commitment to the truth. (And an employer policy that will pay 75% of my phone bill). :D

And stop posting shirtless pictures of yourselves, people. This isn't a meat market! :D
    snowmutt likes this.

Can you make sure to pop in your T-Mo sim into the 920 to see if it works?
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Can't wait.

The objectivity is going to make Fox News look like Reuters. :dry

i think using each for 3 days then alternate might be a little easier to get a feel for each instead of alternating everyday
    You could also use them in tandem? XD

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squire777 View Post
    Can you make sure to pop in your T-Mo sim into the 920 to see if it works?
    Will do!

And shirtless photos with mentions of FOX News?!? Some of you frighten me. I might not be able to leave my house if you keep it up... :D

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heron_Kusanagi View Post
    You could also use them in tandem? XD
    I will juggle them in the air... first to fall will be socialcarpet's mandatory device... FOREVER. Palindri can donate a Treo 700, and VacantWade can lend me his Lumia 900 as well. :D
    snowmutt and socialcarpet like this.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brmiller1976 View Post
    I will juggle them in the air... first to fall will be socialcarpet's mandatory device... FOREVER. Palindri can donate a Treo 700, and VacantWade can lend me his Lumia 900 as well. :D
    LOlz mate. Looking forward to see your comparison.
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Make sure you ride a unicycle at the same time too!
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    I will be procuring two WP8 devices on two separate networks. The Nokia 920, on AT&T, this Friday... and the HTC 8X, on T-Mobile, next Wednesday.

I will alternate between devices on a daily basis as my daily driver and will report back on the user experience.

Towards the end of the 14-day trial period, I will decide which device I am going to keep, and why.

I will post photos and videos and answer questions. And we shall see where this goes!
    Your timeline confuses me...you guaranteed you would have your 8X on t-mobile before the 920 came out on AT&T...

I own an iPhone. And calling me "Vacant"wade is probably the worst attempt at an insult I have ever seen. It doesn't even mean anything. Vagrant would be a worse insult than vacant.

Global Posts
    2,682 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chevans920 View Post
    Make sure you ride a unicycle at the same time too!
    Yo did I hear unicycle???? That's my ish!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
    brmiller1976 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    I own an iPhone. And calling me "Vacant"wade is probably the worst attempt at an insult I have ever seen. It doesn't even mean anything. Vagrant would be a worse insult than vacant.
    Sorry, I forgot that it's all about you, all the time. I'll be more mindful of this in the future. :D
    I will be honest. I can't wait for your comparison. It's always a good thing to have more data points. No matter how bias they can be.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    I'm OK with that as long as you don't let the 8X hit the floor. I don't want the soft touch coating to peel off. The Lumia I'm not worried about, but you should be worried about your floor. :P
    snowmutt and brmiller1976 like this.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    I'll try and make sure you get the Treo, or the Samsung Instinct, then ;)
    I'm actually looking forward to this... I know it will be biased, but interesting to see.

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    This is unfair to HTC, since I have the Lumia 920 first, but I wanted to share some initial observations based on several hours of use.

1: The matte casing (in black on mine) is definitely grippier than the glossy casing. This is a heavy phone, and I'd be frightened of dropping it on the pavement without the matte. Even with the matte, I find I'm handling it gingerly because of my fear of losing my grip... but that could be just me. In black, the phone doesn't "look" as heavy as it is, which is nice. With the naked eye, the proportions are fine, and it has a curved back that fits comfortably in my hand (I'm a 6'2" muscly dude, so take that with a grain of salt if you have smaller hands).

2: The screen. OH MY GOD THE SCREEN. This is not only the best screen I've seen on a mobile device so far, it's the best screen I have seen on any electronics product, period. I think Nokia needs to stop touting a billion different features of the phone and focus on the screen. It really is that good. Even WP7 titles like Plants v Zombies (which scales up nicely by the way) look better on this display than any I've ever used before. You turn on this phone, and fall into that screen. Photos pop, web pages zing, text is crisp and sharp (like reading text on a printed page from a high-resolution digital printer). There are no pixels, no gaps between pixels -- it's hard to put into words how good this screen is.

3: I have played a little bit with the camera. It's a good camera. I have taken a couple of photos in low and moderate light conditions, and it's done a better job than my S3.

4: Someone asked about what happens when you put a T-Mobile USA SIM into this device. It comes back with an error message saying you have put a non-approved SIM in, and asks for an unlock code. Unless AT&T will give you an unlock code, you won't be using this on T-Mo anytime soon.

5: Windows Phone 8 is FRICKIN' AWESOME. The OS is super-snappy, and it has been very cleverly updated by Microsoft. It's truly a triumph of design because the changes made are often subtle but VERY valuable... like the new emoticon keyboard. There's nothing jarring or "disruptive" to the experience ala iOS 6 maps or Android's "UI of the week." Everything flows really well -- even better than in 7.5. It's even smoother and more intuitive. If you've been holding out on a Mango or Tango device, you will get a world of good out of 8.

6: I will be trying Vcards per another request later this weekend when I have more time to play with the phone.

Early, premature assessment: a bit chunky, but with an absolutely gorgeous screen that blows away anything else I have ever seen. And WP8 is awesome.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast