Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 121
Like Tree98Likes
  1. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts
       #1  
    A proposal has been put set that would raise your cell phone bill about $5 a year. They claim the money would go toward bringing broadband internet access to schools.

    Once again, instead of learning how to budget, more taxes becomes the answer.
    sinime and DaveGx like this.
  2. Bitmin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #2  
    Where's Mr.Link?
  3. LMZR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,629 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,722 Global Posts
    #3  
    Didn't they raise the cell phone bill's before?
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

    My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
  4. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitmin View Post
    Where's Mr.Link?
    Saw it on the news on TV. I would have to look online like you to get a link.
  5. #5  
    That seems about right. Why SHOULDN'T an adult who pays extra to send a kid to private school be then taxed against his will to pay for Internet service in a public school that he already gets taxed for, despite the fact that he will not benefit from this because he is an adult (and not in school) and his kids are going to a private school that won't benefit from these taxes. This is the society we live in...

    How moronic it was when I got the registration renewal for my license plates, only to see that they raised the cost by $2 (to $101) because they needed the money for the PARKS. Seriously, why is my car registration paying for the parks? Am I now allowed to drive through the swings? Stupid, tax-happy loons.
  6. christenmartin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    347 Posts
    Global Posts
    630 Global Posts
    #6  
    Man don't get me started on this subject. Lets talk about phones.:-) Keith you hit the nail on the head. Its just legal theft, it's not supposed to make sense. If you have your own business you would think your dealing with the mob.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
    palandri, wpn00b and darkest.white like this.
  7. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    That seems about right. Why SHOULDN'T an adult who pays extra to send a kid to private school be then taxed against his will to pay for Internet service in a public school that he already gets taxed for, despite the fact that he will not benefit from this because he is an adult (and not in school) and his kids are going to a private school that won't benefit from these taxes. This is the society we live in...

    How moronic it was when I got the registration renewal for my license plates, only to see that they raised the cost by $2 (to $101) because they needed the money for the PARKS. Seriously, why is my car registration paying for the parks? Am I now allowed to drive through the swings? Stupid, tax-happy loons.
    i think public schools should be funded by everyone. That said, cell phones have nothing to do with broadband for school.
  8. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,072 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,192 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by christenmartin View Post
    Man don't get me started on this subject. Lets talk about phones.:-)
    But that would be On Topic...This is Off Topic forum!!
    palandri and wpn00b like this.
  9. Kevin Rush's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    312 Posts
    #9  
    The rich, are the most selfish.
    Jazmac likes this.
  10. christenmartin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    347 Posts
    Global Posts
    630 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rush View Post
    The rich, are the most selfish.
    that's why they are in government.
    Thanked by:
    KitN 
    KitN likes this.
  11. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    6,918 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,048 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    but that would be on topic...this is off topic forum!!
    lol!
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rush View Post
    The rich, are the most selfish.
    Unfair analysis altogether. To assume that wealth equals selfishness or selfishness equals wealth are just wrong. It's also a ridiculous claim to say that because taxpayers expect fiscal responsibility, or for those who CAN work to try to, they are selfish.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    i think public schools should be funded by everyone. That said, cell phones have nothing to do with broadband for school.
    I don't. I think it's unjust (rather than "unfair") to say that someone should have to pay taxes for the education of others' kids when that person is already being borderline-forced into paying an exorbitant amount for private school because of personal beliefs. I think it's simple that if you wish to partake in the public education system, you should have to pay in. However, if you're going to force EVERYONE to pay in, then they should have the common decency to allow an equal opportunity to learn (which they don't).
  14. LMZR's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,629 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,722 Global Posts
    #14  
    Raising Cell phone bills for broadband is almost like raising car prices to bring fruit into supermarkets!
    Proud owner of a Nokia Lumia 1520 in Black! :)

    My YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/MickLMZR
  15. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,729 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    A proposal has been put set that would raise your cell phone bill about $5 a year. They claim the money would go toward bringing broadband internet access to schools.

    Once again, instead of learning how to budget, more taxes becomes the answer.
    I understand that American's have this issue with taxes and so on but just to clarify, you're making noise about a 'tax' that will cost you just over 1 cent a day to help bring broadband to schools?

    Lets keep in mind that in American they've been reducing education funding for years. That's not a good thing.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    Thanked by:
    Jazmac, bawboh86 and Dazzi like this.
  16. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,729 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wallace View Post
    I don't. I think it's unjust (rather than "unfair") to say that someone should have to pay taxes for the education of others' kids when that person is already being borderline-forced into paying an exorbitant amount for private school because of personal beliefs. I think it's simple that if you wish to partake in the public education system, you should have to pay in. However, if you're going to force EVERYONE to pay in, then they should have the common decency to allow an equal opportunity to learn (which they don't).
    So what happens when you don't have kids, like me? Do I get tax breaks for having no kids? Nope. Do I get any breaks at all being married with no kids? Nope. So why should it be different because you 'choose' to send your kids to a private school? I lived in Australia and they have tax breaks and give tax money to private schools, something a lot of people are against. You know what's happened to public schools? They're going down the dumps. What's happening to private schools? They're becoming standard that everyone wants to achieve. Not everyone can afford to send their kids to private schools. It's a luxury. I feel that good quality education should be free to everyone and I mean that to the highest level. If you can afford to send your kids to private school for a 'better' education, congrats. Don't take it away from those who can't. We should all have some level of social responsibility.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
  17. falconrap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    300 Posts
    Global Posts
    837 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by N_LaRUE View Post
    I understand that American's have this issue with taxes and so on but just to clarify, you're making noise about a 'tax' that will cost you just over 1 cent a day to help bring broadband to schools?

    Lets keep in mind that in American they've been reducing education funding for years. That's not a good thing.
    Education for funding, on a per student basis, has continuously gone up and up every year. Funding, per student, is now 3-4 times what it was in the late 70's/early 80's and the education has gotten worse in most places...not better. A quality education comes from having a good teacher using solid education principles. Nowadays most schools have assistants for teachers, assistants for the several administrators, and guidance counselors for elementary students (really...I'm not making this up). It's absurd. Then they try all these new ideas to teach instead of sticking to what we used to do very successfully. There are a number of reasons why this has happened, and why education in most places isn't what it used to be, but funding is NOT one of them.
    Thanked by:
    willied and Dazzi like this.
  18. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,729 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Education for funding, on a per student basis, has continuously gone up and up every year. Funding, per student, is now 3-4 times what it was in the late 70's/early 80's and the education has gotten worse in most places...not better. A quality education comes from having a good teacher using solid education principles. Nowadays most schools have assistants for teachers, assistants for the several administrators, and guidance counselors for elementary students (really...I'm not making this up). It's absurd. Then they try all these new ideas to teach instead of sticking to what we used to do very successfully. There are a number of reasons why this has happened, and why education in most places isn't what it used to be, but funding is NOT one of them.
    The funding situation is a bit more complex than I personally thought it was. I found this study which is interesting - Educational Leadership:Beyond Instructional Leadership:Unequal School Funding in the United States

    However the key thing appears to be that in a lot of schools in the US a teacher is a low paying position unlike many other countries where it's considered a professional position. So yes you are correct in your assessment to some degree but it would appear the problem is rather complex overall.

    Not sure how we went from a person complaining about $5 a year on mobile phone bills to education but such is the internet.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
  19. derek533's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rush View Post
    The rich, are the most selfish.
    Tell that to Bill and Melinda Gates.
    bawboh86 and Dazzi like this.
  20. TonyDedrick's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    592 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Education for funding, on a per student basis, has continuously gone up and up every year. Funding, per student, is now 3-4 times what it was in the late 70's/early 80's and the education has gotten worse in most places...not better. A quality education comes from having a good teacher using solid education principles. Nowadays most schools have assistants for teachers, assistants for the several administrators, and guidance counselors for elementary students (really...I'm not making this up). It's absurd. Then they try all these new ideas to teach instead of sticking to what we used to do very successfully. There are a number of reasons why this has happened, and why education in most places isn't what it used to be, but funding is NOT one of them.
    Are you saying a lack of funds isn't an issue in education, but the distribution of these funds?
  21. Shawn Magm's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    261 Posts
    Global Posts
    484 Global Posts
    #21  
    How about we first cut out the Obamaphones?
    jmshub, sinime, DaveGx and 4 others like this.
  22. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,729 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDedrick View Post
    Are you saying a lack of funds isn't an issue in education, but the distribution of these funds?
    I think, though I'm not sure, they're going on about what is being taught and how it should be taught. They are right that having a 'good' teacher makes a world of difference. The issue is more complex these days. Teaching is under pressure from several different factors so you end up losing quality education due to lack of quality teachers.

    If you check out that link I posted it goes into some detail about the issues surrounding education. I think the main one is that teaching is no longer seen as a profession worth considering in some parts of the country so you no longer get the 'best' teachers. They are woefully underpaid.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
    Kevin Rush likes this.
  23. DaveGx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    540 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by N_LaRUE View Post
    I understand that American's have this issue with taxes and so on but just to clarify, you're making noise about a 'tax' that will cost you just over 1 cent a day to help bring broadband to schools?

    Lets keep in mind that in American they've been reducing education funding for years. That's not a good thing.
    It all adds up though. A little here, a little there, alot here.....Our government has become too big, too wasteful, too powerful. Their answer to nearly everything is new programs, more taxes. They're crooks. And I don't care how other countries do things, but I want less government, and less of a nanny state. The US is heading in the wrong direction
    willied, BENNIEV and GardSec like this.
  24. N_LaRUE's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,729 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveGx View Post
    It all adds up though. A little here, a little there, alot here.....Our government has become too big, too wasteful, too powerful. Their answer to nearly everything is new programs, more taxes. They're crooks. And I don't care how other countries do things, but I want less government, and less of a nanny state. The US is heading in the wrong direction
    That's your point of view. You were brought up in the country and have those views. I've lived in four different countries and seen a lot of the world. My view is my view.

    As for wrong direction there's a lot more wrong in the US then simply a $5 tariff on your mobile phone bill.

    To end on a positive note. I totally agree with your view on politicians however you have the power to change that. Vote independent.
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. - Albert Einstein
    I'm on Instagram - nlarue1971 - Travel and food photos is my thing taken by my L920
  25. gsquared's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,375 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,376 Global Posts
    #25  
    $5.00 a year?

    This isn't message board worthy.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...
    Kevin Rush and N_LaRUE like this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Updated to Amber, having problems, please help!
    By Tyler Stegall in forum Nokia Lumia 928
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 11:20 AM
  2. cant update to gdr2
    By Aleksandr Gurmeza in forum Nokia Lumia 810
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2013, 03:02 AM
  3. Anyone else notice this? find my phone issue
    By mcivor88 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
  4. Installed the update, phone won't boot up
    By themadpoet1 in forum Nokia Lumia 928
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 03:07 PM
  5. What is the most secure way to wipe info from Surface RT
    By blackhawk556 in forum Microsoft Surface for Windows RT
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions