Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mase123987
  1. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I have wanted Microsoft to build an Apple TV equivalent at the same or (preferably) lower cost.

    I also wanted Microsoft (or a Windows OEM) to put wireless charging into a tablet.

    Chromecast and the new Nexus 7.

    I don't expect new features to come quite as fast with Windows/WP products like they do on Android/Chrome/Chromium. That said, the two things I mentioned about should have been doable by now. Microsoft could have been trying AppleTV like software out on the XBox for awhile now, then spin it off to a non-gaming solution. Obviously, wireless charging doesn't take a whole lot to add into current designs. Features like this aren't brand new or gimmicky. I hope that once more 8in Windows tablets come, wireless charging will start making a showing.

    There are plenty of features you see on Android devices are close to useless (wave hand to go forward on a webpage...really?). I am glad we don't see those on our Microsoft devices.

    Are there any signs of a more nimble MS? That side needs to come out! Along with At Bat 2013 for my 920!
  2. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    16,075 Posts
    Global Posts
    31,248 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #2  
    That's an interesting question.

    I can see where Chromecast will appeal to a lot of people. It would be nice to see something similar from Microsoft.
  3. Scott Kenyon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    #3  
    What would be really nice is if Cast API could be used with Windows Phone.

    Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  4. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
       #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kenyon View Post
    What would be really nice is if Cast API could be used with Windows Phone.

    Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    I don't know what is all involved, but I would be willing to bet that it won't happen. Assuming that it wouldn't take special software changes from Microsoft, maybe you see something from Nokia. That said, I doubt Microsoft wants to see phones with their OS working with any TV connected box besides the Xbox.

    I want a native solution though that is as deeply integrated as Airplay.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
  5. Scott Kenyon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    #5  
    You're probably right on the money. I can dream, though.

    Sent from my HTC One with MoDaCo.SWITCH Beta 8 using Mobile Nations mobile app
  6. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
       #6  
    Just though of this: Xbox Music (Zune Music) is still tied down to Microsoft (for the most part) when talking about phones and tablets while newer Google Music is a lot more available. Let me use Xbox music easily on my Android devices along with my 920 please!
  7. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,052 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I want a native solution though that is as deeply integrated as Airplay.
    On the phone, that's definitely not possible right now. However, Windows 8 has DLNA "Play To" support integrated for sharing from any WinRT app that wants to build in support (such as mobile.HD, an MKV player). Windows 8.1 goes further and adds Miracast, for mirroring or extending your display to a wireless dongle (or sometimes integrated into the TV). While Play To is supported by the 360, and presumably the One, it's also a standard that many devices can use, so it's not limited to those. (Admittedly, Microsoft does limit it to a few known approved receiver devices, but a registry edit can work around that). Miracast isn't on the 360, but I'd hope it works on the One... but that too is just a standard, which you can get any number of devices to work with. (People have had the best experiences with a Netgear one so far though).

    I would think that Microsoft would want to add these features by the time Windows Phone 8.1 comes around, but who knows.
  8. Scott Kenyon's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    #8  
    I had a PTV 3000 that I couldn't use with my Note 2 even though it was an officially supported device. Miracast never seems to work properly for me and many others. This was an Android phone and just my personal experience, so YMMV.

    Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app
  9. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    On the phone, that's definitely not possible right now. However, Windows 8 has DLNA "Play To" support integrated for sharing from any WinRT app that wants to build in support (such as mobile.HD, an MKV player). Windows 8.1 goes further and adds Miracast, for mirroring or extending your display to a wireless dongle (or sometimes integrated into the TV). While Play To is supported by the 360, and presumably the One, it's also a standard that many devices can use, so it's not limited to those. (Admittedly, Microsoft does limit it to a few known approved receiver devices, but a registry edit can work around that). Miracast isn't on the 360, but I'd hope it works on the One... but that too is just a standard, which you can get any number of devices to work with. (People have had the best experiences with a Netgear one so far though).

    I would think that Microsoft would want to add these features by the time Windows Phone 8.1 comes around, but who knows.
    I am not sure what you mean about it being not possible. Hardware wise it def. is possible. Microsoft would just need to to the software work.

    DLNA is so incredibly hit or miss. Some devices never talk to each other, while others have extremely tight limitations on file types.

    While I haven't personally used Miracast, I have read up on it. It doesn't sound very reliable at all.

    While I do think open standards are great, nothing currently is as full featured and works nearly as well as airplay. Chromecast is a great start for Google. We will see if it can fulfill the same needs. Unfortunately, that won't help WP users.
  10. falconeight's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Knotek View Post
    That's an interesting question.

    I can see where Chromecast will appeal to a lot of people. It would be nice to see something similar from Microsoft.
    Chromescast is cheap because its advertising potential for google. I would rather pay $99 for apple tv with no advertising. I dispose everything google is about.
  11. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,052 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    I am not sure what you mean about it being not possible. Hardware wise it def. is possible. Microsoft would just need to to the software work.
    Yes, but the OS doesn't support it, so it's not possible right now.

    The DLNA limitations you're talking about above are why Microsoft maintains a separate list of approved devices, but that does have the disadvantage of limiting out some devices that would work. And Miracast definitely is slightly hit or miss at the moment, but there's also a ton of implementations of it. Theoretically, with Microsoft providing it in the OS, that would mean that there's only a single implementation that the receivers have to support... something that is decidedly not the case with Android implementations of it.

    Ideally, all Microsoft has to do is release a small and inexpensive device (Xbox TV?) that implements these open standards that their OS is using in a rock-solid way. After all, the only difference with Apple is that they're able to tightly control the receiver devices (generally an Apple TV) that their closed standard of AirPlay works with.
  12. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes, but the OS doesn't support it, so it's not possible right now.

    The DLNA limitations you're talking about above are why Microsoft maintains a separate list of approved devices, but that does have the disadvantage of limiting out some devices that would work. And Miracast definitely is slightly hit or miss at the moment, but there's also a ton of implementations of it. Theoretically, with Microsoft providing it in the OS, that would mean that there's only a single implementation that the receivers have to support... something that is decidedly not the case with Android implementations of it.

    Ideally, all Microsoft has to do is release a small and inexpensive device (Xbox TV?) that implements these open standards that their OS is using in a rock-solid way. After all, the only difference with Apple is that they're able to tightly control the receiver devices (generally an Apple TV) that their closed standard of AirPlay works with.

    Obviously the OS doesn't currently support it, but to say it is impossible is very misleading

    If Miracast can be done in a way that is just as easy and reliable as Airplay, I am all for using it. I haven't seen that to be even close to being true, but we will just have to wait and see.
  13. jhoff80's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,073 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,052 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    Obviously the OS doesn't currently support it, but to say it is impossible is very misleading
    It's also theoretically possible for Google to support Windows Phone for Chromecast, or hell, for Google Maps, Google Now, etc. I don't see how it's misleading to say that it's definitely not possible to do so from Windows Phone right now for any of those things, the same way that it's not misleading to say that it's not possible to have a native sharing solution in Windows Phone right now.
  14. mase123987's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,082 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,204 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It's also theoretically possible for Google to support Windows Phone for Chromecast, or hell, for Google Maps, Google Now, etc. I don't see how it's misleading to say that it's definitely not possible to do so from Windows Phone right now for any of those things, the same way that it's not misleading to say that it's not possible to have a native sharing solution in Windows Phone right now.
    You should have said that is currently not available with the OS as it is. That sounds a lot different than saying its impossible for WP8 to do it.

    Anyways...

Similar Threads

  1. VLC coming to Windows RT. How long till it comes to WP8?
    By WPhoney in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 07:32 PM
  2. Hello from a Blackberry user
    By dosto in forum Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 08:37 PM
  3. 1020...return or exchange, that is the question.
    By redeyss in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 02:37 AM
  4. is it the real GDR2?!
    By dimatador in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions