Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    Outstanding Marketing Strategy
    The iPhone is a decent device, don't get me wrong. But there is NOTHING that makes it "flat out better" than any of the WP8 flagships apart from app selection. I can get 18 hours of HEAVY constant usage out of my Ativ S before it dips into battery saver mode, and with moderate usage I can easily get 2 days. Plus it has NFC and is HSPA 42mbps dl capable as well if you're in an area where LTE isn't up and running yet. (like me) Xbox music gives me unlimited access to over 28 million songs for only $100/year. And while the WP8 app for PC has its issues, iTunes is no picnic either, and Zune blew it out of the water in user experience. In terms of form factor, it's the only option Apple gives you. I wanted the iPhone 4 when is came out until I tried typing on one. It's just too small for me. And in terms of out of the box functionality(before downloading a ton of apps), my HD7 with WP7.5 blew it out of the water, and WP8 is even a few more light years ahead. The iPhone is still what it was in 2007: an app launcher with call & text functionality. A WP is a communication device with the ability to launch apps. I know which one I'd rather have...

Seriously? iPhone has great media ekosystem? I have to say this - how can I get a MP3 file to my Lumia? Connect cable to anything (even my W8 tablet) and transfer. How can I get it on an crapPhone? Start crapTunes, load them, connect phone, sync it, add mp3 to library, add to phone, sync again and disconnect

Now a different story. I have a AVI video file. How to get it on my Lumia? USB, transfer, done. To get it on a iPhone? Spend an hour converting it in a creepy stupid format, then go thourgh that horrible crapTunes misery again and finally get it there.

Is that a sign of a good media phone? I don't think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    Pure awesome.

You know, I'm not one to diminish anyone's bad experience just because I've never had them. I've never had any issues with loafing media (specifically music) onto my iPod from iTunes. Maybe its because I don't use the sync feature. I manually manage my music.
    Alex Kj likes this.

The phrase "young and stupid" came into being for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mzetko View Post
    Seriously? iPhone has great media ekosystem?
    Yes. Seriously. For example, I wanted to watch all of the episodes of "Big Bang Theory". I simply turned on my TV, switched to my AppleTV, browsed to iTunes store on it, made a purchase with a few clicks of remote using excellent user-friendly GUI and immediately started watching them. I watched a few episodes on TV using AppleTV, then when I couldn't use my TV - I continued to watch the rest of the episodes on my iPhone and my iPad, which were downloaded seamlessly over WiFi, WITHOUT connecting either my iPad or iPhone to my PC or MacBook Pro. When I was able to use my TV again, I continued watching it there again, using AppleTV. Same goes for all my music and most of my movies (the ones that were not purchased on Blu-Ray disks... b.t.w, some Blu-Ray movie versions include a code in the box which allows you to download a free iTunes copy of this movie for all iOS devices). This is the BEST (most seamless and most convenient) "media ecosystem" I have personally experienced based on my experience with Android, iOS and WP8 phones. You may have different experience with the stolen music and movies you've downloaded at some BitTorrent site, but it's really not a "valid" issue that Apple has to care about ;-) Of course, my example will simply fall on deaf ears and I will definitely be told to "go away" and that I don't "belong to this L33t circle-jerk WP fanbot club" but oh well, hopefully at least some individuals (without fanbot mentality) will be able to see my point ;-)
    dgr_874 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,776 Global Posts
    Right now IOS is more refined. That would be tough to argue. They've set up incredibly tight integration across devices that works well. Can't deny that.

WP isn't to that level, particularly with its app store, but I'd be really surprised if it wasn't at some point in the not too distant future. The one thing that gets over looked is that this a war of attrition not instant cellular gratification. Of course IOS and android crush WP, in raw numbers they've been around a lot longer.

BUT, MSFT 's arms are long and pockets deep to be able to spend until they start gaining market share. Apples stock has been getting hammered and their market cap has slipped.

By no means does it spell the end, but it does say there is room for another player with the right strategy to make an impact at some point. I think that player will be WP.

Keep in mind the Surface Phone and Nokias next Lumia not too mention whatever HTC has up their sleeves. Devs will get on board slowly but surely.

I think the next iPhone release is more important for apple than the next wave of WP's are for MSFT.
    Make with the WP purchase already one time why dontcha for pete's sake. Honestly.....
    Laura Knotek and dgr_874 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by baseballbert View Post
    By no means does it spell the end, but it does say there is room for another player with the right strategy to make an impact at some point.
    blackberry-10-hands-015.jpg

;-)

Global Posts
    1,184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kj View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackberry-10-hands-on-015.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	166.7 KB 
ID:	27582

;-)
    lol boring
    Quote Originally Posted by irvin792 View Post
    lol boring
    you have to admit, bb10 looks really cool.
    Yes. Seriously. For example, I wanted to watch all of the episodes of "Big Bang Theory". I simply turned on my TV, switched to my AppleTV, browsed to iTunes store on it, made a purchase with a few clicks of remote using excellent user-friendly GUI and immediately started watching them. I watched a few episodes on TV using AppleTV, then when I couldn't use my TV - I continued to watch the rest of the episodes on my iPhone and my iPad, which were downloaded seamlessly over WiFi, WITHOUT connecting either my iPad or iPhone to my PC or MacBook Pro. When I was able to use my TV again, I continued watching it there again, using AppleTV. Same goes for all my music and most of my movies (the ones that were not purchased on Blu-Ray disks... b.t.w, some Blu-Ray movie versions include a code in the box which allows you to download a free iTunes copy of this movie for all iOS devices). This is the BEST (most seamless and most convenient) "media ecosystem" I have personally experienced based on my experience with Android, iOS and WP8 phones. You may have different experience with the stolen music and movies you've downloaded at some BitTorrent site, but it's really not a "valid" issue that Apple has to care about ;-) Of course, my example will simply fall on deaf ears and I will definitely be told to "go away" and that I don't "belong to this L33t circle-jerk WP fanbot club" but oh well, hopefully at least some individuals (without fanbot mentality) will be able to see my point ;-)
    OK that is pretty cool. But I can already do that kind of stuff with SkyDrive and the 3 screens. Even with my "stolen" content. (I have legally purchased stuff too)
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    you have to admit, bb10 looks really cool.
    TBH it's kind of meh to me... As a Canadian-and as a tech lover who knows competition breeds improvement, which benefits us end users-I root for BB10 to succeed. But nothing I've seen/read has captured my interest.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slai View Post
    IPhone is seemingly losing a lot of their appeal, with Samsungs Galaxy phones being popular with the classic customers of the iPhone; kids and corporate.
    I also see the "cool" of iPhone going down fast.
    Interesting that I should read this today. Earlier today I was in one of Toronto's more upscale malls, which has both an Apple store and one of the new MS stores. I read a couple of posts here that claimed that the Apple store at that mall was pretty empty and the MS store in the same corridor was packed, and I wanted to see this for myself since I was there anyway.
    I saw no evidence of that.

This was peak Saturday shopping hours, and the Apple store was crammed. The MS store was adequately busy but not very. I spent about 10 minutes inside and during that time 100% of customer attention was all about the tablets and laptops. The Lumia, HTC, and Samsung displays remained untouched.

It appears these sketchy articles about Apple sliding are nothing more than the same old sensationalist journalism as always to generate cheap website hits.

Honestly, iPhone WAS cool back in the days. (Used to own the first one)
    So why not an iPhone? Because I want to be a different individual; not just that guy in the corner that has an iPhone.

Eh... Same thing applies to every trendy thing/brand, not only smartphones... "Why didn't you get Windows 8", "why didn't you get the Norton antivirus", "why didn't you get the very trendy (but with extremely ****ty build quality/customer support) Razer keyboard/mouse/headset", "Why didn't you get those (highly overpriced and unnaturally sounding but very trendy) Bose speakers/headphones and instead went with some unknown brand (which costs much cheaper, has much better build quality and produces more neutral frequency response)", etc. ;-) Some people just like to mindlessly follow the other people's choices instead of doing their own research, evaluating the competing products themselves and then making their purchasing decision based on the outcomes of those evaluations ;-)
    Also, many kids just like to use or try out various apps/games, most of which will become "boring" to those kids very quickly, making them seek newer apps/games, so in this sense iPhone DOES provide better "entertainment" to them and their ADD nature due to the largest amount of such content ;-) Of course not all of them are so apps-hungry, but many are and to them it may seem strange that other kids may choose a smartphone platform with significantly smaller amount of entertainment content.
    Sadly, this mindlessly following someone's opinion is causing one to lose tons of money as well. (IE: Following a friend's stock advice, business decision, etc).
    IMHO, people that follows the stuff you mentioned lack a definite decision and purpose that they can't live without relying on someone else's "opinion."
    willied and Laura Knotek like this.

Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Expensive product with cheap glass.
    This might be a MS forum, but have you ever seen those Galaxy vs iPhone drop tests? I want to see that with a Lumia one of these days...
    *oh, wait...*

OP's sister is in 8th grade. Most 8th graders don't even know there's an alternative. They think smartphone is iphone. That's what they mean when they ask 'why didn't you get an iphone'. It's not because they think iphone is better than Android or WP. A few who actually sees WP for the first time are often amazed by the fact that there is an alternative and WP actually looks very cool. My kid took a WP to school one day and she said kids drooled all over it when they saw it. And this is a 2 year old Samsung Focus I gave her lol.

College kids (and quite a few adults) are a different story. They are mostly insecure and just want to be seen "mainstream" to be safe so they choose iphone. I think things are starting to change a bit as more and more are willing to switch to Android and WP.

That is exactly the experience I have had the last two years with Windows Phone 7, the Xbox 360, and Windows 7.

Go to Xbox Video, buy a season, watch on the Xbox. Stop, continue on WP7. Go to a friends house, log on to their Xbox, watch some more. End up at school, logon with the Laptop, watch some more.

All of the above still works with the exception of WP8, there is a DRM issue playing back Xbox video content on WP8 that was purchased on the Xbox. Though I am sure a fix is on the way.

Omnious: of course its crammed, its Apple. Im not saying people loathe Apple products all og a sudden, but that instead of seeing iphoned everywhere, now i see Galaxys frequently, and now that i talk to people considering a new phone, its not always automatically "iPhone" any more.

Yes iTunes is nice with your purchased-from-iTunes content, but what about my library of physical copies of movies and downloaded content?
    Not all downloaded media is pirated material, BTW.

And as mentioned earlier, you get the same system with MS.

The iPhone has no advantage over my 920 for me that would make me consider it or recommend it.

Because it is
    • overpriced;
    • small screen;
    • available in black & white only;
    • doesn't have WP8;

Global Posts
    7,306 Global Posts
    I would never get an iPhone because I know Apple are producing good products, but they are the most hypocritical company around. I mean, all of them are, they have to be, but Apple is just so much worse. These "We love everybody, and that's the reason we make products, it's all the love, not the money, love, love love" presentations just make me sick.

Also, the iOS interface just seems so outdated. It looks old, it feels old, it IS old.
    I once was an iSheep. I knew nothing of the competition, except that it can't compete with apple. I had everything apple. I loved my iPhone 4. Then I saw windows phone, and I loved it.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Actually, you can get media files to the iPhone the same way if you choose although it is not automatic. For many people being able to plug the phone into iTunes and let the application do the work for them is very convenient.

One of the big advantages to the iPhone is the integration of all the parts, iPhone, iTunes and the App store. For young people, that, and the fact they are popular, are huge selling points - much stronger to many young people than any actual advantages or disadvantages the phone may offer.

For me, I moved away from the iPhone because I was getting bored with the OS and because I wanted a larger screen. That said, the iPhone is by far the most mature OS out there right now and the design of the iphone itself is very well thought out ergonomically That makes the final package a very smooth experience, and that is why many people continue to buy them - the phones are convenient and people generally know they are going to work well, even if they aren't the "best" in every situation.

I want a new experience and I don't want the "freedom" android give. Naturally there is small issue with wp8 before all stuff are fixed.
    And I l like the platform but I'm little frightened over how Microsoft will update the platform in the long run. Many time I feel that they are slow in response when new bugs appears.

Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8 can all do this through the Xbox 360 with Xbox Video content using SmartGlass. The experience is very streamlined and allows for switching among multiple screens over WiFi. Admittedly, Xbox Video doesn't have the Blu-Ray add-on items, but I'm sitting out another round of disk-based media in favor of the distribution model of an Xbox Video.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast