Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I had the exact same question directed at me not too long ago. I just said I didn't want the iSuck 5 because everyone and their grandmother has one and it is a boring piece of technology that is meant to sell. If I'm spending $700 on something, it better excite me. It's the same logic people use when buying cars "Oh why didn't you get the Honda Civic" as if the Civic is the standard by which everything else should be measured. People like telling others what to do, I just consider it human nature but here's a good one to deal with a 14 year old (motivated by South Park):

Q: Why didn't you get the iPhone?
    A: You are breaking my balls man.

They usually don't reply because they don't know what to say. Works like a charm.

Who cares......they're kids. Let them use what they want.
    Thanked by:
    Alex Kj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseySal View Post
    They stopped being fun many many years ago. Plus, Steve jobs was a twice-used ****** bag.
    Did he **** in your corn flakes?
    Alex Kj likes this.

Go into a store and they will try to push you away from Windows Phone, my g/f went into a At&t store with her dad and he asked about the 920 and the salesman immediately said it was crap and to get an iPhone, my g/f who likes my phone said to the salesman that her boyfriend has a 920 and loves it. The sales.an shut up and walked away.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920
    Thanked by:
    rickisthick and LeLee092 like this.

Here's how I would answer...

If you want to be popular like everyone else, get an iPhone or android. ****!!! Even the toilet-cleaning aunties/uncles are owning one of them.
    But if you want to be cool & different like Steve Jobs, get a windows phone ;) :) :D
    Sent from my Windows 8.1 Vivotab Smart Tablet PC ��

I know exactly where you coming from, 8th graders and college kids apparently have a lot in common.
    I got to UCF (University of Central Florida) and ALL my friends have Iphones/Macs/Ipads (and they say they're broke college kids lol), they thought I was going to get one when my mytouch died on me and were sooo excited...*rolls eyes*
    When I came back with my windows phone half of them didnt even know a windows phone existed! And instantly didnt like it or cared to even see it... I remember showing it to one of my friends and her looking at it and being like "Wow this is so complicated!" ...had to hold my tongue

I can see the kids will be kids arguement as being one that can't be won. Follow the herd and be another cow or get ousted, oh I miss the culture of high school. I never danced the Apple dance from the days of the IBM 8088 as I didn't like Apples, Macs were too expensive. The iods came on the scene and here we had clever marketing as my irock mp3 player was actually better than the iPod at the time, didn't see the reason to get something inferior and pay more for it at that. The real irony is that I never went iPhone because they lacked copy and paste (I was on WinMo 6.X at the time I believe) and have always used my phone as a PDA first. When WP7 was released I was very shocked to see them follow the same path at release. Going from WM to WP...I hoped over the iPhone, I guess between the past impressions and the iTunes DRM backdrop I just didn't want any added hoops to jump through. I am happy with the WP decision, to each their own. Funny though I know tow couples and the iPhone using spouses always play with their mate's WP devices. I see two new Lumia owners in the making...

i am fed up with the same visual os after 4 years. if ios 7 will be different visually and till that time windows 8 cannot solve main problems (buggy notification system, awkward battery problems) i will be switching back to ios

The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    Outstanding Marketing Strategy
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Kids love to play the latest games like Temple Run 2 etc etc. I think it was a bad decision for you to get your sister a Windows Phone, something she will regret later when her friends are playing the latest games or some cool new hip app.
    Alex Kj likes this.

Global Posts
    659 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by therealper View Post
    i am fed up with the same visual os after 4 years. if ios 7 will be different visually and till that time windows 8 cannot solve main problems (buggy notification system, awkward battery problems) i will be switching back to ios
    windowsphone8 should be exactly what you want then. You have 1 1/2 years to enjoy it until you're bored with its ui, so keep an eye open for others.

Windows8, whole different ball of wax.

Why I didn't buy an iphone: just too closed
    Why I didn't buy a wp7: didn't think it would last or improve
    Why I didn't buy a wp8: ditto
    Why I didn't buy a dumbphone: maps
    Why I did buy a scratched, dented, 1 1/2 year old android: working gps/maps, dual cores, dual cameras, 1080p recording, updates nightly, apps for everything, and no contract needed.

Oh, if/when I destroy the phone with a drop, or water, or whatever, I'll put its sdcard in new phone and never miss a beat.
    Last edited by ohgood; 01-26-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    awwwww how sweeeeeet. thanks !
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robinleck View Post
    Here's how I would answer...

If you want to be popular like everyone else, get an iPhone or android. ****!!! Even the toilet-cleaning aunties/uncles are owning one of them.
    But if you want to be cool & different like Steve Jobs, get a windows phone ;) :) :D
    What happens if some toilet cleaning aunty gets a Windows Phone? Please keep your preconceived ridiculous notions about jobs to yourself. By your stupid logic it means that Windows Phone ONLY targets a very specific demograph i.e young people and has no use for older people. I wouldn't lead with that if I go around parading my Windows Phone. The best thing about a phone can be that it appeals to EVERYONE, even a toilet cleaning lady.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Kids love to play the latest games like Temple Run 2 etc etc. I think it was a bad decision for you to get your sister a Windows Phone, something she will regret later when her friends are playing the latest games or some cool new hip app.
    My sister isn't like that. She's found plenty of fun games and she's fine with going against the crowd, just like I am. She has a Zune HD, she likes good music, and now she has a WP. She really wants a WP8 phone now. I think she'll be just fine.
    Bee Mon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by phasar View Post
    The iPhone is just flat out a better phone. Its amazing how WP8 users bury their heads in the sand and act as though apps mean nothing. Apps are designed to make life easier, and there are some terrific apps available for every aspect of like, unfortunately no one is making them for WP8.

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    I'm curious, how this outstanding marketing strategy helps your daily life?
    Jari P likes this.

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeLee092 View Post
    I know exactly where you coming from, 8th graders and college kids apparently have a lot in common.
    I got to UCF (University of Central Florida) and ALL my friends have Iphones/Macs/Ipads (and they say they're broke college kids lol), they thought I was going to get one when my mytouch died on me and were sooo excited...*rolls eyes*
    When I came back with my windows phone half of them didnt even know a windows phone existed! And instantly didnt like it or cared to even see it... I remember showing it to one of my friends and her looking at it and being like "Wow this is so complicated!" ...had to hold my tongue
    Most people at my college have iPhones. In fact, I've never seen a WP in the wild. I look forward to that day. Most of my closest friends have iPhones (6 out of 8, to be exact), but they don't ask me why I got a Windows Phone. Some of them are even at least slightly interested in it.

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    Please, just leave this site. No one wants you here.

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    BTW, apple maps is your built in maps, not google. You can get google maps though. And decent battery life? Admit that your battery life sucks. Great form factor? It is almost the same as the 4/4S's design. Yes, their marketing strategy is good, especially the guy saying cheese for 20 seconds, since that wasn't annoying at all.

Go away iSheep.
    maps-iphone-5-lost-meme-funny.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Great form factor? It is almost the same as the 4/4S's design. Yes, their marketing strategy is good, especially the guy saying cheese for 20 seconds, since that wasn't annoying at all.

Go away iSheep.
    Form factor is awesome, marketing is above par.

zoolander-iphone-5-funny.jpg
    jdevenberg likes this.

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    Yes it has great apps. So does WP and Android.

Google maps isnt a plus as i have nokia maps.

How is the media integration better? Does it play codecs the WP doesnt?

Battery life is great on my phone, so thats not a plus either.

How is the ecosystem better? My phone interacts with all my devices at home, all social sites, all cloudstorage services i use...?

i dislike the form factor, and i dislike the design, so thats a no in my book.

I can always make a list of things my phone does that the iPhone does NO, alternatively does better:

Wireless charging
    Drag/drop movies/etc from Explorer to my phone
    Better integration of social sites and media
    Gloved use
    Higher PPI iirc
    Bigger screen
    Better visibility in direct sunlight
    Office
    USB charging, standard charger
    Design
    Form factor
    Etc.

Doesnt prove much, these lists.
    willied, Bee Mon and Joshoon like this.

- Because its so old
    - Because it has boring colors
    - Because everyone has one
    - Because I wanted the best phone

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    "I had one, I hated it"

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    [LOGIC] And we are expecting 8th graders to actually know something about technology and not just want what is popular because???[LOGIC]

When I got my 900, I had had an iPhone for I got on craigslist for about 4 months. I actually liked it. It had two fatal flaws that moved me back to Windows Phone (I've had WP for 3 years other than that 4 month stint). They were the small 3.5" screen and the lack of LTE. Now that both of those have been remedied, I am seriously considering going to iOS for my next phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    [LOGIC] And we are expecting 8th graders to actually know something about technology and not just want what is popular because???[LOGIC]

When I got my 900, I had had an iPhone for I got on craigslist for about 4 months. I actually liked it. It had two fatal flaws that moved me back to Windows Phone (I've had WP for 3 years other than that 4 month stint). They were the small 3.5" screen and the lack of LTE. Now that both of those have been remedied, I am seriously considering going to iOS for my next phone.
    I fell in love with windows phone when I was in 7th grade. I got a dvp. Then I got a 900. And then I got a yellow 920. I convinced during this whole time 15 people to buy windows phones. I'm in 9th grade. Not all of us are clueless iSheep. But yes, half of my class are. They think apple is the best, and when they look at my gorgeous banana phone, they are disguised by it (the amazing UI, gorgeous design, the feel and form factor, etc). I'm not kidding. It is so sad. If they actually tried to use it without telling themselves to hate it, they would like or love it.
    luke6494 likes this.

I didn't got an iPhone because it's not unique, and it's overhyped.
    Also the camera of the Lumia 920 attracted me a lot.
    And in my opinion the Windows Phone interface looks much nicer and cleaner than iOS.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,418 Global Posts

IPhone 5:
    Great apps
    Google Maps
    Great Media integration
    Decent battery life
    Great ecosystem
    Great form factor
    Great apps - you can have that one. Do wish certain apps would come to WP.
    Google Maps - Subjective. I had to use Nokia Maps to get home tonight. It fared better than in my friend's eyes my friend's friend using his iPhone's Google Maps (that friend of mine has a Galaxy S2 for the record).
    Great Media Ecosystem - Depends on the user. I use Xbox Music Pass, can I make use of that on iPhone? I don't think I can (and no, I don't want Spotify, I want Xbox Music). Nokia Music is also great for my music discovery.
    Decent battery life - Can't really comment on this as I have an iPod. Battery life on that has been a par with my Lumia 920 though.
    Great Ecosystem - Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Xbox 360, Xbox Music Pass, SkyDrive, Office. That's a bloody great ecosystem too (for the record, I'm posting this off a MacBook Pro).
    Great Form Factor - Subjective. I actually find the Lumia's form factor better. I had to use a lass's iPhone 4 to give her my number. It didn't feel right to me. My Lumia feels nicer in my hand.
    Outstanding Marketing Strategy - Can definitely give you that one too. If there's one thing Apple nailed, it's marketing. You could ask them to market a turd from the toilet for $5'000'000'000 and people would buy it in the millions.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast