Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By X0LARIUM

Hello all,
    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask, but I have to anyway.

Earlier today I was viewing the web, looked through many websites reading up on random stuff. I searched for a group that produces a podcast that I have listened to before. On the search page it gave me the Facebook page. I clicked on it expecting to get asked to log in before I could see it.

The page opened up happily enough, and I assumed that it must be because it is an organisation's page, which is likely to be public. I'm not on Facebook, never been on as it happens, so I had a quick scan over the page as I did not have a clue what I was looking at because it was all unfamiliar.

While scanning, I noticed a comment section on the left side of the screen. I also notice that it had a tiny icon next to it which wad identical to a logo that was on one of the websites I visited. The logo is of the owner of the sports club whose website I had visited. It is a small local sports club, so I was quite shocked. I decided to just put a full stop in the comment box, and the hit the return key.

It added my comment and put the name of the sports club owner next to the comment. I thought it was super bizarre, so I clicked the name. It took me directly in to the guy's Facebook page. It appeared it had logged me in as him!

Needless to say, I was super freaked out by this point. I showed my phone to my gf (she has used Facebook before so had more of a clue than me). She said it looked like I had got in to the guy's account! I shot up to the top right and went to the two menu items, one of them had a log out option, which I promptly pressed.

Is this me being a complete fool or did I actually get in to his account? Please be aware that I have not been a Facebook user before so please excuse my unfamiliarity with what I was looking at.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Gamertag: peachy001
    What you described tells me it was you logged into a Facebook account. Email the guy and let him know. You've managed to find a weird security issue on that page you clicked through. He needs to fix it for his podcasts or whatever he does.
    Thanked by:

I was worried that I had made a mistake and so after typing that above I decided to look at the guy's Facebook page. I managed to get to it, but it was completely different. Hardly told me anything, just some interests etc. So I am assuming that I really dif have access to his account.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Quote Originally Posted by rockstarzzz View Post
    What you described tells me it was you logged into a Facebook account. Email the guy and let him know. You've managed to find a weird security issue on that page you clicked through. He needs to fix it for his podcasts or whatever he does.
    I was going to phone him straight away, but assumed I was wrong. Also, I am 99.9% sure that he will, as I did, think that my story is impossible. I am quite concerned that he will assume I have tried to hack his account. Not because I have form for it, I really don't, but because it sounds like the only explanation.

I genuinely would assume the same, I would think it was impossible. Is this common? I would expect it to be locked down?
    Last edited by peachy001; 01-19-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Developer

Global Posts
    4,111 Global Posts
    IDK, could it have been a glitch on Facebook's end? If you know the guy, has he ever used your phone... and perhaps logged into FB, accidently clicking keep me logged in?
    My Apps: PIP (WP8 - Compass / Flashlight), Beer Knurd (WP7/8), Meme 8 Ball (WP8)

No, he has never even seen my phone. Nobody has ever used my phone for Facebook either, ever. I have never been a Facebook user, so I don't have a clue about it. I can't navigate it, and I have no interest in it. So I know that it is not some leftover login. So freaky.

I see him again next week, I may tell him. I just hope I can convince him that it is a technical glitch.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK

Global Posts
    1,686 Global Posts
    Word of caution. While it looks like you are in his account, it may be the other way around. With all kinds of weird things happening in today's time, this may be just another way to cull out your information. If I were you, I would change all my passwords immediately and clean cookies/history.

My two cents...
    Thanked by:
    azgoth444 likes this.

Well I posted a comment and it is in his name, so I am pretty sure I was on his account. It gave me loads of options, that I assume are only for the page owner. It even let me log out. I have been back and check on the other page, the comment is still there, and still in his name.

As an update, I saw the guy tonight. I really didn't want to tell him, I don't know him that well so it was difficult to gauge how he would react. I explained that I think his website has a glitch and that I had been able to access his account. Oddly, he didn't seem bothered at all. He said he had a link to his web page. I don't think he really understood what I meant. I did try a couple if times to get my point across. In the end he said not to worry about it.

How do I clean cookies in the phone?
    Last edited by peachy001; 01-22-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Own a Lumia 920 - in UK