1.    #1  
    Hi all

I suppose most have heard the rumor or saw the report on the wpcentral about this new Nokia phone (catwalk sexy name) which is supposedly be aluminum unbodied with the same spec now this is my questions;

What the main advantages and disadvantages of using aluminum instead of plastic and the same for plastic over aluminum?

I know I'm going for the nokia lumia 920 when it get cheaper but if this new one comes out before May I would go for that instead but I would want some knowledge about the difference so that I could way up which would be the most best overall.

"With more knowledge I grow stronger everyday " quote from myself unless someone else came up with it then I'm just borrowing

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

SONY Windows Phone 8.1 release sometime in June!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    8,759 Global Posts
    My Nokia N8 has a unibody aluminium frame. It will have a plastic end cap for the antenna.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

I think the main advantage would be that it would be lighter, thinner, and in turn allow for more space within the phone for bigger battery, memory card slots, and whatever else they decide throw in.

Global Posts
    1,078 Global Posts
    Hated the reception my titan had, possibly due to the aluminum build? Yuck

I love the radio invisibility of poly
    Sent from my Lumia 920 C3P0.

Global Posts
    2,339 Global Posts
    I prefer the look and feel of aluminum over polycarbonate, but I like that polycarbonate doesn't have to have an antenna "spot". I also like that the color on poly doesn't wear off, like some aluminum coatings can. But, IMO, well done aluminum is prefrable to well done polycarbonate.

Another important thing that will suffer except the antenna is the fact that the phone will not have wireless charging. The aluminium will interfere with the EM waves which transport the energy during inductive charging.

Global Posts
    1,078 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klevis View Post
    Another important thing that will suffer except the antenna is the fact that the phone will not have wireless charging. The aluminium will interfere with the EM waves which transport the energy during inductive charging.
    yea boo on that, plus the antenna"spots" look cheap to me
    Sent from my Lumia 920 C3P0.

My N8 in aluminium had a lot of sentimental value partially due to the great feel of the aluminium. It still looks brand new after 2 years.

Problems with it are that it conducts heat really well and it blocks signal more so than plastic, which causes N8 for example to have plastic end caps as already mentioned, also see the antennagate issue of iPhone which is partially the same problem.

Pros are lighter, can be more durable to certain kind of wear and tear/damage, feels more premium to me, if done right doesnt dent or flake like iPhone 5 (prime example of aluminium done wrong).

It sounds like a great thing, if done and designed right

I honestly love the colorful polycarbonate that they threw on the 920. Aluminum or magnesium might work too but only with rounded edges imo. I dislike the rough feel of sharp metal edges.