- 12-18-2012, 08:47 PM #1
So, I was reading this CNet article about Nokia, and it said that Nokia was pronounced knock-ya. I find that very strange, as I've always pronounced it No-kee-uh. I just can't bring myself to pronounce it as knock-ya, it sounds so weird! I guess that's how they pronounce it in Finland. What do you guys think?
Also, I've been pronouncing Lumia as loom-ee-uh, but now I'm wondering if that's the correct pronunciation or not. :p
I know that this really doesn't matter that much, but I find this subject interesting.
12-18-2012, 09:39 PM #2
- 233 Posts
That's an interesting point, I mean they are Finnish so the "correct" pronunciation is "nock-ya", but at the same time they have always marketed themselves in the United States as "No-kee-ya", so it doesn't make it wrong. The Finnish pronunciation is more "authentic" but the Anglicized one isn't incorrect, as Nokia themselves refer to themselves as that in the U.S. market.
I believe Lumia is marketed as Loo-me-ah everywhere
- By wastegate in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 30Last Post: 01-05-2014, 06:33 PM
- By Landsharkk in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 11Last Post: 11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
- By HeyCori in forum Nokia Lumia 900Replies: 5Last Post: 04-25-2012, 12:52 AM
- By socialcarpet in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 6Last Post: 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM
- By aubreyq in forum Windows Phone 7Replies: 13Last Post: 10-25-2011, 12:00 AM