Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    The Amber/GDR2 update rolled out today to the Nokia Lumia 928. I snatched it up and now I'm wondering how to fully take advantage of it as far as changing settings and download new apps. Here is what I did, and some lingering questions. Let me know if I'm missing something:

1. Display+Touch
    The coolest change are the
    A. Settings > Display + Touch > Touch > check Double tap to wake up phone (allows you to tap the screen twice to turn on the display. very cool. I wish they had double tap to sleep too)
    B. Settings > Display + Touch > Glance > Peek (turns on a small clock on the lock screen when you pull it out of your pocket or hover your hand over it without having to turn on the display)
    C. Settings > Audio > enhancements > Flip to silence > on (edited to add)

2. Group Messaging (edited to add)
    Settings > Applications > messaging > Group Text > On

3. New Apps
    Nokia also launched several new apps:
    A. Nokia Pro Cam: A new camera interface with easy to adjust settings. My plan is to have it replace the standard camera. To do this you can first remove the camera Live Tile from the start screen, then go to Settings > Applications > photos+camera > Pressing the camera button opens > Nokia Pro Cam). Anyone else doing this? There is no reason to use the standard camera interface anymore, right?
    Note: If you change the default camera button from the default camera to Nokia Pro Cam, I noticed that pressing the camera button from sleep mode to awake always made me input my 4-digit password, whereas previously the default camera app did not make me do this. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way around this, even if you go back into the Settings > Applications > photos+camera and check or uncheck "Prevent accidental camera launch when phone is locked". Furthermore, even if you leave the default camera tied to the camera shutter button and awake from sleep without inputting a password, you still cannot access Nokia Pro Cam (or other lenses) via the lenses button without inputting a password. So, it seems that for quick pictures, the only option is the default camera (which, luckily, is a good camera).

B. Nokia Smart Cam: This is like an improved version of their Smart Shoot app. I believe this can do everything Smart Shoot could do, plus more. Is there any reason to keep Smart Shoot or should it be uninstalled?

C. Nokia Video Trimmer: Easily allows you to trim the videos you take and then save them and share them via Facebook, Email, tap+send, etc.

D. Nokia Video Upload: This one I believe lets you upload videos to YouTube, but I don't know because I don't use YouTube so I haven't downloaded this app, but I've heard it doesn't allow you to share to Vimeo. I would just share my videos the 'old-fashioned' way by going to Photos > Camera Roll > choosing a video > tapping the ... settings > Share > Facebook, etc., or by doing it via Nokia Video Trimmer

Are there any other new settings or apps that I overlooked or did I misinterpret anything above (such as replacing the standard camera with Nokia Pro Shot or replacing Smart Shoot with Smart Cam)?
    Last edited by coip; 08-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    Thanked by:
    Vallos 

Yes! Under 'audio' you will find flip to silence now

Under 'wifi' youll find 'check WiFi hotspots using data sense

Check your other storage :D

try the radio, its cool.

Open more html5 heavy websites, as those are improved

That's all for now

installed mine and it installed without radio. what do l do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ofori View Post
    installed mine and it installed without radio. what do l do?
    I believe Verizon left out the FM radio portion of this update although I have no concrete reason as to why.

do l have to call and ask them why? thats very messed up for them to leave them out. it is a nokia and its supposed to have a radio because even low end lumias got Radio. did you get yours with radio or without?

Quote Originally Posted by cgw87 View Post
    I believe Verizon left out the FM radio portion of this update although I have no concrete reason as to why.
    did your download install radio on your lumia. thats messed up because its a nokia and it is supposed to have radio. even low end lumias got radios.verizo better step up

Seems like Vodafone Spain left out Data Sense. I can't understand why.

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alij382 View Post
    Yes! Under 'audio' you will find flip to silence now

Under 'wifi' youll find 'check WiFi hotspots using data sense

Check your other storage :D

try the radio, its cool.

Open more html5 heavy websites, as those are improved

That's all for now
    "Flip to Silence" is also cool. I swear that Wi-Fi thing was there before, but I guess not. Also cool. Where is this radio you speak of?
    As for 'other storage', I heard this update was supposed to make it better, but mine is even worse now. Went from 9.2GB to 9.5GB. 9.5! That's nearly 1/3 of my entire phone's 32GB memory. WTF?

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Hmm my other storage is now at 2.1gb and before the Amber update it was at 2.3 gb. Let's hope it goes down even more.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coip View Post
    "Flip to Silence" is also cool. I swear that Wi-Fi thing was there before, but I guess not. Also cool. Where is this radio you speak of?
    It is under Music+Videos.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Great summaries of the update. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Iki Taba View Post
    It is under Music+Videos.
    yea it was supposed to be under music-videos section which sucks. even my sister lumia 710 has radio

Global Posts
    1,298 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Ofori View Post
    yea it was supposed to be under music-videos section which sucks. even my sister lumia 710 has radio
    Call Verizon and give them hell... Like I did...Their direct number to their tech support is 1-866-221-4096, I'm waiting for a call back..

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts

1. Display+Touch
    The coolest change are the
    A. Settings > Display + Touch > Touch > check Double tap to wake up phone (allows you to tap the screen twice to turn on the display. very cool. I wish they had double tap to sleep too)
    B. Settings > Display + Touch > Glance > Peek (turns on a small clock on the lock screen when you pull it out of your pocket or hover your hand over it without having to turn on the display)
    I just got my phone, got the Amber update, but I don't have the Double Tap option or Peek option :/

Quote Originally Posted by mrZoSo View Post
    I just got my phone, got the Amber update, but I don't have the Double Tap option or Peek option :/
    Do you have fm radio?

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    No FM Radio either.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    If some of the features are missing just update Nokia apps like Extras+info, Display+touch. There are 4 of them I think you need to update. Use Lumia pusher if you have it, it`s the easiest way.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    Call Verizon and give them hell... Like I did...Their direct number to their tech support is 1-866-221-4096, I'm waiting for a call back..
    thanks buddy, you are the best. l will do that in a minute
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Iki Taba View Post
    If some of the features are missing just update Nokia apps like Extras+info, Display+touch. There are 4 of them I think you need to update. Use Lumia pusher if you have it, it`s the easiest way.
    LUMIA pusher is gone from the marketplace.
    If you want those apps there are three methods.
    1. PAY and Download NOKIA Collection in the store/marketplace.
    2. On your phone download and install http://dowappdiagnostics.blob.core.w...t/aet/AET.aetx (its the microsoft company certificate for Windows Phone App Studio) and download http://sdrv.ms/16eWULb . This is a rudimentary app, but it gets the job done. Apps are in no particular order.
    3. Download App oem update. and deploy using WP8 SDK or Windows Phone Power Tools.

My app will be updated here.
    Last edited by Trevor Halsey; 08-15-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Fixed .aetx link
    My Phones & PDAs:

My Apps:
    Lumia Apps

Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    any call back from verizon?

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Halsey View Post
    LUMIA pusher is gone from the marketplace.
    If you want those apps there are three methods.
    [LIST=1][*]On your phone download and install http://dowappdiagnostics.blob.com/aet/AET.aetx (its the microsoft company certificate for Windows Phone App Studio) and download http://sdrv.ms/16eWULb . This is a rudimentary app, but it gets the job done. Apps are in no particular order.
    When I go to http://dowappdiagnostics.blob.com/aet/AET.aetx nothing happens.
    Developer

here is the correct URL. Sorry! http://dowappdiagnostics.blob.core.w...t/aet/AET.aetx

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.
    My Phones & PDAs:

My Apps:
    Lumia Apps
    Thanked by:
    mrZoSo 

lol i have the glance feature, but no peak... just timed, and always on... hmm.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Halsey View Post
    here is the correct URL. Sorry! http://dowappdiagnostics.blob.core.w...t/aet/AET.aetx

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.
    Thank you much! That did the trick!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    As for 'other storage', I heard this update was supposed to make it better, but mine is even worse now. Went from 9.2GB to 9.5GB. 9.5! That's nearly 1/3 of my entire phone's 32GB memory. WTF?

What helped my other storage which was at about 5GB was to delete all my photos and videos that were on my phone but already synced to SkyDrive. Once I did this my other went down to 1.1GB. Then I got the OTA today and ran the Storage Check to clear some more space and I am hovering around 900MB. Hope this can help you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast