Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jay minhas
  • 1 Post By Funky Cricket
  1. jay minhas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I, like many others have been experiencing a severe battery drain on my 928. I tried stopping background apps, uninstalling some apps, rebooting phone but nothing seemed to work. I started messing around with all of my settings and I noticed that my email, in this case Gmail, always took forever to sync (at least 5-10 minutes) ... I have no idea why it takes this long but I switched the sync option for all my email to "manual" so its not spending all day syncing emails in the background. I have noticed a substantial change in my battery life.

    Hope this helps
    Thanked by:
    deadwrong03 and Fred Simpson like this.
  2. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,231 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,906 Global Posts
    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jay minhas View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I, like many others have been experiencing a severe battery drain on my 928. I tried stopping background apps, uninstalling some apps, rebooting phone but nothing seemed to work. I started messing around with all of my settings and I noticed that my email, in this case Gmail, always took forever to sync (at least 5-10 minutes) ... I have no idea why it takes this long but I switched the sync option for all my email to "manual" so its not spending all day syncing emails in the background. I have noticed a substantial change in my battery life.


    Hope this helps
    Thanks for the tip
    Thanked by:
    lijun 
  3. donebrasko's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    #3  
    I may try that. I have 5 email accounts going. I have work, Gmail, yahoo, yahoo, and outlook. Maybe its time to consolidate. I would really hate to have to manually update. What uses more battery, push email (outlook) or the way Gmail and yahoo is syncing every so often?
  4. Joel S79's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by donebrasko View Post
    I may try that. I have 5 email accounts going. I have work, Gmail, yahoo, yahoo, and outlook. Maybe its time to consolidate. I would really hate to have to manually update. What uses more battery, push email (outlook) or the way Gmail and yahoo is syncing every so often?
    Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.
  5. jay minhas's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #5  
    Not sure how it works but for myself atleast, Gmail takes about 10-15 minutes to sync. And since I had Gmail set to automatically sync every 15 minutes, it pretty much kept going all the time in the background. Anyways, I hope this helps out at least some people!
  6. Fred Simpson's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #6  
    On my 928 any navigation or game app I've used will drain my battery 11 to 12% inside first 20 minutes with all background tasks off . Phone uses power great otherwise but not with apps.My concern is batteries don't get better with time and Lumia's is non removable I think
  7. Joel S79's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    148 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Simpson View Post
    On my 928 any navigation or game app I've used will drain my battery 11 to 12% inside first 20 minutes with all background tasks off . Phone uses power great otherwise but not with apps.My concern is batteries don't get better with time and Lumia's is non removable I think
    The AMOLED screen can really dig into battery life, so expect things that keep the majority of screen on for a long time to drain battery quickly. I turn the screen off when navigating and usually just rely on voice unless the intersection looks crazy. It's also good to keep the black background theme, black means off pixels for AMOLED, so you'll save some battery life there.
  8. donebrasko's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    240 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel S79 View Post
    Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.
    is Gmail push or pull?
  9. Riverrunner88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #9  
    You can set up your gmail account as an exchange server to push. Lot's of instructions on the web on how to do it.

    I went 10 days and saw about a 1%/hr battery drain. I was going two days on a charge. 3 days go I'm back to 3to4%/hr and nothing has changed other than my "Battery" app was updated. The update shouldn't matter but who knows. Strange phone...
    Nokia 928 Black
    iPhone 4 (now an ipod updated to ios7)
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    No one can call me a "fan boy". ;)
  10. gernerttl's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    822 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel S79 View Post
    Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.
    Gmail uses push protocol if you are on an Android phone or tablet. However, if you are using iOS, WP7/8, Windows, or Mac OS then it uses IMAP/POP3.
  11. deadwrong03's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    809 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverrunner88 View Post
    You can set up your gmail account as an exchange server to push. Lot's of instructions on the web on how to do it.

    I went 10 days and saw about a 1%/hr battery drain. I was going two days on a charge. 3 days go I'm back to 3to4%/hr and nothing has changed other than my "Battery" app was updated. The update shouldn't matter but who knows. Strange phone...
    u think the battery app could be causing the drain?
  12. Funky Cricket's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    378 Posts
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    #12  
    I do a soft reset after every major round of app updates. otherwise my batter starts draining. I think it has to do with how the apps try to check into location services. Otherwise I don't have too many issues with the battery. There are a few games that will eat it like no tomorrow though. fairway solitaire and NOVA are both pretty big energy eaters.
    vyner likes this.
  13. #13  
    I was getting anywhere from 10% an hour to 20% an hour after having everything set to always on and always updating. After cleaning things up I would get 9%+ drain an hour. After setting my yahoo account to manual sync and deleting unused apps I'm at 1.33% drain...wow.
  14. Riverrunner88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #14  
    I think it's the "battery" app. I don't think it's working properly and I may need to look for a different one. I'll do a soft reset and then I will get and bunch of battery life back so that leads me to believe I'm getting erronous info...

    Example - This morning I unplugged at 0530 and by 0600 I was already at 70%. WTF??? Just did a soft reset and it now says 93%.
    Nokia 928 Black
    iPhone 4 (now an ipod updated to ios7)
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    No one can call me a "fan boy". ;)
  15. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,784 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,787 Global Posts
    #15  
    I guess I do ok, My day starts around 6:30am, I browse Weave for at least 20 min every morning (and this included 2 short videos), about 40 texts, 10 times checking email, 2 phone calls (under 2 min each), Push on exchange and hotmail scheduled to sync ever 30 min. It's 2pm here, my phone is still at 86% left... I AM on LTE at home and work with a strong signal.

    I do make sure there is only 2-3 apps running in the background...I normally kill everything as soon as I install them...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Similar Threads

  1. 1020 owners, any overheating or battery issues discovered?
    By how1ard in forum Nokia Lumia 1020
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 04:06 AM
  2. Battery app Live Tile not updating
    By rgv521 in forum Nokia Lumia 521
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 04:40 PM
  3. Wanting to change to WP8. Have a few practical questions.
    By gdourado07 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 05:01 AM
  4. How to sign in to forums on app with Google account?
    By bens777 in forum WPCentral for Windows Phone - App Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 10:31 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 07:11 AM

Posting Permissions