Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree3Likes
  1. schrags08's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
       #1  
    Hey guys, anyone have a favorite scratch guard for their Lumia 928? No case, just a film for the front?
  2. tallarob's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    #2  
    I assume you are talking about a screen protector. With Gorilla Glass, why do you need a screen protector? I'm getting my 928 tomorrow and I was looking forward to not having one.
  3. #3  
    Well i recommend you both to buy one, i know nokia products are amazing but my Lumia 920 got a scratch from day 2, a scratch that i can feel with mi nail, i'm using skinomi techskin and feels good.
    mas90guru likes this.
  4. jleebiker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    #4  
    GG2, like GG will scratch, but you are scratching a thin film on the surface. That being said, I will be getting the Zagg line as soon as it is avail for the 928. It's got a life time warranty and is incredibly tough and durable for as thin as it is.
  5. berty6294's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,673 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,674 Global Posts
    #5  
    Uh definitely get a screen protector. GG2 isn't all its cracked up to be. I just impulse bought this Amazon.com: Skinomi TechSkin - Nokia Lumia 928 Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield + Lifetime Warranty: Cell Phones & Accessories . Idk, could be a hit or miss, should come in tomorrow or Wednesday!
    Try out my first Windows 8 app, ModernCalc! It's free and I would love to hear your feedback!

    Phones: Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30, Ipod Nano 2nd gen (x4), Ipod touch 16gb 2nd gen
    Tablet: Surface for Windows RT
  6. nufan947's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    #6  
    I've never used a screen protector that didn't diminish the appearance of the screen or my experience when using it. I've also never scratched a screen except for dropping on concrete... So I'm gonna say you don't need one. Just my two cents. Also, for what it's worth, I believe the only thing (aside from a long fall onto concrete) that will scratch GG is diamonds or grains of sand.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  7. icstars989's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    I assume you are talking about a screen protector. With Gorilla Glass, why do you need a screen protector? I'm getting my 928 tomorrow and I was looking forward to not having one.
    Yeah, you would think. I have a few hairline scratches on mine that drive me crazy. My iP5 screen is still flawless after 9 months. This one not so much after 2 weeks.
  8. #8  
    I'm using the screen protectors from Verizon, just because that's what was available on day one. But GG2 or not, I would not carry my phone around without a screen protector. I've had phones with GG scratch before, and not have a clue how, as they were not dropped, treated badly, or anything else. You'd be amazed at the scratches you can actually get from the tamest of circumstances.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  9. nufan947's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I'm using the screen protectors from Verizon, just because that's what was available on day one. But GG2 or not, I would not carry my phone around without a screen protector. I've had phones with GG scratch before, and not have a clue how, as they were not dropped, treated badly, or anything else. You'd be amazed at the scratches you can actually get from the tamest of circumstances.
    Like I mentioned above, other than dropping on concrete or something traumatic like that you could scratch the screen just by having one tiny grain of sand in the same pocket as the phone. Glass can scratch glass.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  10. jleebiker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    I've never used a screen protector that didn't diminish the appearance of the screen or my experience when using it. I've also never scratched a screen except for dropping on concrete... So I'm gonna say you don't need one. Just my two cents. Also, for what it's worth, I believe the only thing (aside from a long fall onto concrete) that will scratch GG is diamonds or grains of sand.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Sorry, but you are incorrect. There are numerous first-hand users and real world accounts where their GG or GG2 screen was scratched. Google or YouTube it. Just because YOU'VE never scratched a screen doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T have one. They are cheap insurance for something you will look at for at least a couple of years. Why NOT do it? The materials are getting thinner and less obtrusive. Just my two cents.
  11. nufan947's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebiker View Post
    Sorry, but you are incorrect. There are numerous first-hand users and real world accounts where their GG or GG2 screen was scratched. Google or YouTube it. Just because YOU'VE never scratched a screen doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T have one. They are cheap insurance for something you will look at for at least a couple of years. Why NOT do it? The materials are getting thinner and less obtrusive. Just my two cents.
    Oh it's definitely a 'to each his own', YMMV situation. In fact, if I could find a protector that I thought DIDN'T make the screen look awful, I'd use it. But I haven't found one yet (at least for me). I had a Droid Incredible for two years, screen protector on for one year and none for the second year. In the second year I dropped it face first on concrete four times and scratched it three of those times. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus which many people said had more 'fragile' glass and I heard many reports of easy scratches early on in ownership and I have no screen protector without a scratch. I really do think it's largely based on chance and luck, but I agree with you - it's easy insurance if you're OK with the effect on viewing the screen.

    Can you recommend one that doesn't affect the appearance or the feel of the screen? I'd probably try one when I get my 928. I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  12. #12  
    I don't like the Zagg ones, but the generic ones I've had from Verizon and the ones that have come bundled with cases that I've bought from Amazon Marketplace vendors have all been nearly unnoticable. No, they don't have the oleophobic coating that comes on the Nokia screen, but wipe it and it looks fine. And if you carry in a pocket (I don't), you're probably not even going to have to wipe it.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  13. pappy53's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,075 Global Posts
    #13  
    If Zagg has the HD model, it will be the best on the market for feel and visibility. Plus a lifetime warranty!
  14. Chris_Kez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    414 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    Can you recommend one that doesn't affect the appearance or the feel of the screen? I'd probably try one when I get my 928. I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.
    Bodyguardz Pure, which is actually glass. As close to having a naked screen as you can get. Unfortunately they tried and failed to make one for the Lumia 920 because of the curved edges of the screen. I assume the 928 will present the same challenge. Spigen also has a comparable line (GLAS), but no word yet from them about availability for the Lumia line.

    Yes, I know: they are expensive; they can be scratched; they can break. But they're cheaper and easier to replace than the actual display.

    http://http://www.bodyguardz.com/scr...m-guard-shield
    http://http://www.spigen.com/cell-ph...ss-series.html
  15. schrags08's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
       #15  
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. I found the 928 screen susceptible to light scratches. I also find that the texture of the glass can sometimes "grab" your finger and lead to a sub par scrolling experience. Especially if it's hot out. The scroll speed is definitely slower than my old HTC Arrive. I thought a good scratch protector layer might help speed things up from a finger glide perspective in addition to providing a little bit of protection.
  16. Chris_Kez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    414 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by schrags08 View Post
    No case, just a film for the front?
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    I don't like the Zagg ones, but the generic ones I've had from Verizon and the ones that have come bundled with cases that I've bought from Amazon Marketplace vendors have all been nearly unnoticable.
    I really disliked gummy/tacky feel of the Zagg Invisible Shield on the screen. But, it was perfect for me as a protective layer for the sides and back. I found the naked polycarbonate a little too slippery, and after a few drops in the parking lot and a few small scuffs I decided I needed something. If you're dead set against putting anything on the phone, I guess that's that; but I thought the little bit of protection and the improved grip were well worth it. Here's a pic after five months of daily use:
    2013-05-24_3109.jpg
  17. nufan947's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Kez View Post
    Bodyguardz Pure, which is actually glass. As close to having a naked screen as you can get. Unfortunately they tried and failed to make one for the Lumia 920 because of the curved edges of the screen. I assume the 928 will present the same challenge. Spigen also has a comparable line (GLAS), but no word yet from them about availability for the Lumia line.
    This sounds like a decent option.... But expensive. I'd almost still rather go without one due to my past experiences with never having gotten a scratch whose cause was not obvious (dropping face first on the ground, etc). Yes, I know it's risky. But I just love the feel and look of the glass with nothing on it..... What can I say? :p

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  18. jleebiker's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    Oh it's definitely a 'to each his own', YMMV situation. In fact, if I could find a protector that I thought DIDN'T make the screen look awful, I'd use it. But I haven't found one yet (at least for me). I had a Droid Incredible for two years, screen protector on for one year and none for the second year. In the second year I dropped it face first on concrete four times and scratched it three of those times. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus which many people said had more 'fragile' glass and I heard many reports of easy scratches early on in ownership and I have no screen protector without a scratch. I really do think it's largely based on chance and luck, but I agree with you - it's easy insurance if you're OK with the effect on viewing the screen.

    Can you recommend one that doesn't affect the appearance or the feel of the screen? I'd probably try one when I get my 928. I've used Zagg but they have always felt awful to me. Very gummy and plasticky.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Check out the Zagg HD line. They are VERY nice. Even if they don't have one for the 928 yet, you can still check one out that was cut for another phone. That's what I'm waiting for.

    Also, the ones the Verizon store had on release date aren't bad either. They do have a very slippery touch to them and your finger slides very well across it, you get 3 for $13.
  19. nufan947's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebiker View Post
    Check out the Zagg HD line. They are VERY nice. Even if they don't have one for the 928 yet, you can still check one out that was cut for another phone. That's what I'm waiting for.

    Also, the ones the Verizon store had on release date aren't bad either. They do have a very slippery touch to them and your finger slides very well across it, you get 3 for $13.
    Two recommendations seems good to me, enough to check it out at least. I have no problem giving it a go!

    Question: is there such thing as a protector with oleophobic coating?

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  20. Chris_Kez's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    414 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    Question: is there such thing as a protector with oleophobic coating?
    I think the Bodyguardz Pure and Stigen GLAS products both have oleophobic coatings. If I could get either for my Lumia I'd be on these things in a second. Damned curved glass.
  21. #21  
    forreal! they make one for the galaxies and they also have curved glass, i dunno why they cant just curve their glass protectors too lol
  22. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebiker View Post
    Also, the ones the Verizon store had on release date aren't bad either. They do have a very slippery touch to them and your finger slides very well across it, you get 3 for $13.
    I agree. Don't forget to mention if you have a discount on your account for 25% off of that $13, too.
    - Rich


    WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

    Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
  23. jlzimmerman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #23  
    There is a common misconception that Gorilla Glass prevents all scratches and abrasions. This is not the case and never has been. Gorilla Glass just makes the the glass more scratch resistant. If you keep your unprotected phone in your pocket with your keys, for instance, eventually scratches will occur.

    I installed one of these ArmorSuit Protectors on my wife's 8X and she really likes it. It may be good for the 928.
    Last edited by jlzimmerman; 06-05-2013 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Added Link to Screen Protector
    Microsoft does not read these Forums. Please go to the Windows Phone Suggestion Site and make your voice be heard.
  24. jlzimmerman's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    343 Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Yeah, you would think. I have a few hairline scratches on mine that drive me crazy. My iP5 screen is still flawless after 9 months. This one not so much after 2 weeks.
    Could that be because when face down, the Nokia is resting on its glass where the iPhone is resting on its bezel?
    Microsoft does not read these Forums. Please go to the Windows Phone Suggestion Site and make your voice be heard.
  25. JKOgden's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    60 Posts
    #25  
    I'm still waiting for mine to arrive, but I did order a protector from SkinPea. It seems to be very good from the reviews. I may just get one of those belt holsters instead but we shall see.
    James
    Nokia Lumia 928
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Storage Checker for Lumia 928
    By ether813 in forum Nokia Lumia 928
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM
  2. Best Facebook app for Lumia 920
    By nithinjoseph in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 04:59 AM
  3. Verge reports rumored specs for Lumia 928 to be launched April
    By Rohanj in forum Upcoming & Rumored Devices
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
  4. BSE (best skins ever) for Lumia 920
    By rdjward in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM
  5. Best carrying pouch for lumia 800?
    By Skyandsun in forum Windows Phone Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM

Posting Permissions

B