Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By o4liberty
  • 1 Post By hopmedic

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I was a long time Android user and I'm loving my phone except I don't like GMail. I hate that I can't see my labels, I hate that deleting an email just archives it, I hate that I can't sync all my "Other Calendars", etc. Are there any tips or help you can give me because I really want to keep this phone.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    m.google.com/sync/settings

change it in there. It should have options for calendar and to delete as trash labels... i dont think those will work. You will have access to all mail but i dont think it will be flagged under labels. Only actual folders will sync.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I forgot to add. Go there on your mobile device and not your pc

As an ex Mailbox junkie through iPhone 4S, I had everything forwarded over to my outlook account before the phone arrived. Just decided to get used to it without labels and had few folders set up. Also got another Gmail set up on the phone (2 emails - Outlook with Gmail forwarded over AND Gmail itself) as insurance. Good luck on trying to get the labels worked. I suggest having labeled mails going to a specific folder and getting used to using the folders via the phone's email.

Global Posts
    3,039 Global Posts
    I am also a former Gmail user that moved on to outlook and don't regret it! With windows 8 and SkyDrive on both my life is so much easier now. All my photos and documents are in SkyDrive so anywhere I go I have full access .
    Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Board Express
    Bartdog likes this.
    The best improvement that I made to my gmail account was to convert it to an Outlook account.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Bartdog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    The best improvement that I made to my gmail account was to convert it to an Outlook account.
    Now by convert what do you mean? Do you mean just having it forward to outlook?
    I am always looking for a way to completely get rid of my gmail account.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    Ditto. I'm steadily working at getting rid of everything google while I wait for my 928 to get here.

Besides, in my expereince, outlook.com has been far more reliable in pushing emails than gmail ever was.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carajean View Post
    You can create an Outlook account, then 'add' your Gmail account to your outlook account. This will download all of your Gmail mail into your Outlook.com account, you will still get mail sent to your Gmail account to appear in Outlook.com without setting up forwarding in Gmail, and you can even send an email through your Outlook.com account and select your Gmail account as the send account... so the receiver will view it just like you sent it from your Gmail address.

The only thing that's annoying me about Outlook.com is the contacts. You can't add your own pictures to your contacts (you can through your phone, just doesn't make sense that you can't add them via Outlook.com). Very annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by carajean View Post
    I mean I walked away from Google. My reason for switching wasn't just the phone, it was privacy. I don't want Google collecting all of my business. So I created an Outlook address, then logged into Gmail, and set up an auto-reply / out of office notice (whichever they call it), and set it to reply to every email that comes in, with a note saying that I've left Google because of their anti-privacy policies (my little way of advertising against Google), and my new email address is......
    - Rich

Quote Originally Posted by jmunchies1 View Post
    You can create an Outlook account, then 'add' your Gmail account to your outlook account. This will download all of your Gmail mail into your Outlook.com account, you will still get mail sent to your Gmail account to appear in Outlook.com without setting up forwarding in Gmail, and you can even send an email through your Outlook.com account and select your Gmail account as the send account... so the receiver will view it just like you sent it from your Gmail address.
    Does this work pretty well? And is it that easy through the Email app on WP8?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    Does this work pretty well? And is it that easy through the Email app on WP8?

I've only been doing it for about a week now and so far I haven't run into any issues on the web.

Email on WP8 wouldn't be any different because you're just setting up your Outlook.com account. Anything sent to your Gmail or your Outlook.com will just show up in your regular inbox. I don't know if you can 'send' from your Gmail account on the phone however. I am getting my 928 today so I will try it out but I don't remember seeing an option to select your outgoing account just playing with it in the store. That may be an Outlook.com website function only.

That's what I figured.... I'm trying to think of a way to keep my gmail as my regular email account and use it as efficiently as I do now, but I don't know how easy that'll be. I'm planning on getting a L928 when my upgrade is up June 30 but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up Google services. I know I'll continue to use Drive for work documents, and I'd like to keep using gmail.... But it really sounds like Outlook is the tightest/cleanest integration, for obvious reasons.

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan947 View Post
    That's what I figured.... I'm trying to think of a way to keep my gmail as my regular email account and use it as efficiently as I do now, but I don't know how easy that'll be. I'm planning on getting a L928 when my upgrade is up June 30 but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up Google services. I know I'll continue to use Drive for work documents, and I'd like to keep using gmail.... But it really sounds like Outlook is the tightest/cleanest integration, for obvious reasons.

Outlook is the cleanest, but you can still setup your Gmail account as a regular email account on the phone. You don't have to give it up.

Outlook is the cleanest, but you can still setup your Gmail account as a regular email account on the phone. You don't have to give it up.
    I guess for the way I use Gmail it seems like there may not be enough functionality; I have most emails auto-labeled and sorted, being able to distinguish between delete and archive is important, plus I have two accounts auto forward to a third account, and can send from any of those three Gmail accounts from logging into the 'master account'.

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeman View Post
    I was a long time Android user and I'm loving my phone except I don't like GMail. I hate that I can't see my labels, I hate that deleting an email just archives it, I hate that I can't sync all my "Other Calendars", etc. Are there any tips or help you can give me because I really want to keep this phone.
    also you could set up actual folders and filters in have your email forwarded to outlook. you can also set up an outlook account to "send as" and it will look like its coming from gmail still. many option you might want to explore. But since google and microsoft are bickering with eachother you wont get an official gmail app... atleast for the time being.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I would like to dump gmail but I think I screwed myself. I used my gmail address as my microsoft login, so now I can't rename/delete that account name off of outlook because it is linked to all of my purchases, etc...

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nunyazz View Post
    I would like to dump gmail but I think I screwed myself. I used my gmail address as my microsoft login, so now I can't rename/delete that account name off of outlook because it is linked to all of my purchases, etc...
    you can change it. go to outlook.com and sign in with your gmail address you use for your microsoft account. after you sign in on the top right choose account settings tab. choose to change account aliases. you can choose a new outlook email address or use an email address you already own. follow all the confirmation nonsense and bob's your uncle.

and unless that doesnt work which for a while it wasnt properly(looks like Microsoft got it fixed) then you will end up calling customer service like i did.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akak84 View Post
    you can change it. go to outlook.com and sign in with your gmail address you use for your microsoft account. after you sign in on the top right choose account settings tab. choose to change account aliases. you can choose a new outlook email address or use an email address you already own. follow all the confirmation nonsense and bob's your uncle.
    That's what I did, well almost. I got to the part where I chose my new outlook account as my primary alias, and it stopped me with the warnings "If you change this you will loose functionality on your phone...etc"

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I thought that was to just to sign out and resync with your new sign on. Or was it a complete re-setup with wp8. I'm on android still so I'm not sure 100%

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2430020

According to this guy here it says you have to reset your phone after you change it.
    Last edited by akak84; 05-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    Thanked by:
    That's what I did, well almost. I got to the part where I chose my new outlook account as my primary alias, and it stopped me with the warnings "If you change this you will loose functionality on your phone...etc"
    IIRC what that means is that you'll have to reassign the Microsoft account to your phone. Since the only way to do this is a hard reset.......
    - Rich

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Well... I will just stick with how I have it. I have my xbox account also tied to my gmail account. I'll just leave that account open and do a forwarding message like you had said earlier to my outlook address.
    Thanks!
    Well... I will just stick with how I have it. I have my xbox account also tied to my gmail account. I'll just leave that account open and do a forwarding message like you had said earlier to my outlook address.
    Thanks!
    If you do a search I'm sure you can find something - I recall hearing of people making the change from their XBox, and things working fine. I just don't remember if they had to hard reset the phone to get it to re-sync up.
    - Rich

The only thing that's annoying me about Outlook.com is the contacts. You can't add your own pictures to your contacts (you can through your phone, just doesn't make sense that you can't add them via Outlook.com). Very annoying.
    this is not an issue for me because most people either have their facebook pictures, linkedin pictures, or one that I've assigned with my phone.
    - Rich