Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mattb13
  • 1 Post By poddie
  • 1 Post By EDMmmmmmm
  • 1 Post By hopmedic

Bought the 928 Thursday morning, was super excited since I've been waiting on a Windows Phone on Verizon that I felt was worth getting for what seems like forever now.

I have been as gentle / thoughtful with it over the last day as humanly possible since I was waiting on the case that I ordered to arrive. Despite this, though, I somehow got a small scratch in the middle of the screen. Absolutely no idea where it came from. It's not terrible, but it creates some minor rain-bowing along the actual scratch under certain screen conditions (bright backlighting on a white background, for example).

Do I have any options here or do I just have to live with it? Never really had any issues with scratching phone screens (even though I generally don't use screen protectors I'm overly careful with my gadgets), which is why this is so frustrating considering I've barely had the phone for 24 hrs. Not sure what the options are since I'm 1. obviously still under warranty and 2. within the return period (although there's obviously the restocking fee)

I have a scratch in my L920 and for the life of me, I don't know how it got there. But what is actually scratched isn't so much the screen but that protective coating on the screen. Same difference but its possible this is what you have as well. I'm just going to live with it. At least until Nokia drops the 950 or whatever it'll be called.

Yeah I assume it's in the protective coating and not the actual glass itself (since I can't think of anything that should have even scratched the coating, let alone the glass). Still, as you said, either way it shows up as a scratch. If this phone was already 6 months old I'd say whatever and live with it until my next upgrade, but I've barely had it a day.
    Take it back to where you got it and exchange it for a new one.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    My 920 scratched very easily and was left wondering the same - "how'd that happen". I recommend a screen protector.

Mate just take it bk and say the battery is ****ed or it keeps crashing and they will replace it. Then on your new one get a screen protector if you think u,need it.

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    Very disappointing if the screen scratches up so easily. I've yet to pick this up, but I've not had an issues with scratches on iPhones and Android devices I've owned. Hopefully, this isn't a widespread issue.

I thought the 928 had Gorilla Glass 2 - I have seen a number of "torture test videos" on the Lumia 920 where they did car keys and a knife on the body and screen ... and COULD NOT create a scratch.

Do a search and check out the videos.

I'd return it as defective!
    Quote Originally Posted by mas90guru View Post
    My 920 scratched very easily and was left wondering the same - "how'd that happen". I recommend a screen protector.
    My 920 has taken drops and smalls slides on concrete before without scratching the screen.

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I've had my phone for less than a week and went to take it back to the retailer. The screen has many small scratches and they wanted to take the phone and not give me any money back. I'm not wasting my upgrade on this phone and not going to lose my money. Horrible phone, horrible OS, sticking with my HTC DNA.....
    Thanked by:

Yeah mine has a scratch after 1 week. Crazy. I have a DroidX for a year, unprotected and it never got scratched. Same with my GNex.
    Eh, whatever.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Same with me, my iP5 is flawless, my 928 has a bunch of hairline scratches. I also feel like everything is more prone to sticking to the 928's screen.

Just so I'm up to speed... We have a thread full of people recommending that he exchange so that Verizon and Nokia have to pay for OP's mistake?

No screen is impervious to scratches. Putting your phone in the same pocket as keys, loose change, etc... can scratch gorilla glass. That's why the screen protector industry exists. It's a shame that it happened, but it wasn't Verizon or Nokia's fault that the OP didn't pop the $10 to protect his $500(?) device.
    Thanked by:
    ibbyj 
    Rick2340 likes this.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb13 View Post
    Just so I'm up to speed... We have a thread full of people recommending that he exchange so that Verizon and Nokia have to pay for OP's mistake?

No screen is impervious to scratches. Putting your phone in the same pocket as keys, loose change, etc... can scratch gorilla glass. That's why the screen protector industry exists. It's a shame that it happened, but it wasn't Verizon or Nokia's fault that the OP didn't pop the $10 to protect his $500(?) device.
    I have to agree. When I think of people returning $500 devices and ruining Nokia's profit margins over things like this it makes me a little angry. I do have a lot of sympathy for the op for the scratch, but the responsible thing to do is suck it up and live with it.

I do think the oleophoebic (sp?) coating on the 920 is quite prone to micro-scratches though. So I understand why people feel it shouldn't have scratched.

It's a tough one.
    mattb13 likes this.

I'll take more prone to scratches over less likely to shatter all day erry day.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by MobileVortex View Post
    ^This man gets it.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileVortex View Post
    apparently you haven't seen the numerous posts on how easy it is to shatter the 928's screen. No need to get defensive over it.

Its not prone to scratches though. Its just people who cannot take the blame themselves. Nothing they did was wrong, they babied the phone blah blah blah.

I've seen people say this about their iPhones, their Evos, their Droids, and hell even a Surface.

No one can accept the fact they did something wrong. I dropped my 920 from 10 ft in the air to concrete. Screen intact. One trip to the beach, and my screen has small little scratches from sand. Its my fault, now how about you own up to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    apparently you haven't seen the numerous posts on how easy it is to shatter the 928's screen. No need to get defensive over it.
    I've seen a lot more reports of people saying they dropped it and it has been fine... I've only seen people say they dropped it directly on the corner and it broke... to be expected. haters will find any reason to hate that's their job. This is a great phone, nuff said.

Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Who's hating? No reason to get **** hurt here friend. The 928 is my daily driver not my iP5 so I'm certainly not hating. You made a snide comment and I simply stated that quite possibly this phones screen could shatter too if dropped. Long shot I know, but possible.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RN50 View Post
    Mate just take it bk and say the battery is ****ed or it keeps crashing and they will replace it. Then on your new one get a screen protector if you think u,need it.
    this is terrible advice. Let's lie about a defect and get a new phone because I scratched my screen. This is a scumbag move and is equivalent to stealing.

Screen scratches (coating and glass) are usually caused by small pieces of sand or grit, in pockets or on surfaces. You can take keys and other instruments go the screen without damaging it but the tiniest spec of sand will damage it. It sucks that it happened so soon to you, unlucky.

Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mase123987 View Post
    My 920 has taken drops and smalls slides on concrete before without scratching the screen.
    Same...im not careless with the phone but I have dropped it and I try to not allow anything to sit on the screen.

We all have the same screen, whether its 920 or 928...people with scratches must have had keys in their pocket or put something on the screen accidentally?...not sure. I don't use a screen Protector or case...
    Quote Originally Posted by EDMmmmmmm View Post
    this is terrible advice. Let's lie about a defect and get a new phone because I scratched my screen. This is a scumbag move and is equivalent to stealing.
    Thank you. I almost posted the exact same thing, but in the past when I've suggested doing what is morally right, I've been lambasted, so this time I was going to just keep my mouth shut. But no, it is never wrong to stand up for what is right. Taking the phone back and claiming some other problem is stealing, and is wrong. I'm disgusted that people think it is ok.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!
    Thanked by:
    p.m.a. 
    nufan947 likes this.