Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Vallos
  • 2 Post By theefman
  • 2 Post By Vallos

Appears Nokia EOS will come to AT&T before Verizon gets the 928 out. May possibly wait now for that to happen (and port over from Verizon) since it appears to be a better phone than the 928...Verizon has missed the window to get the 928 out...

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I don't think it will be miss, many people won't switch carriers for a phone. The 928 will still provide an excellent WP on VZW which will be good for all of us. I'm sure they will lose a few customers and they have missed many opportunities to convert users to WP but VZW probably doesn't care much as to which OS your phone runs as long as it is on their network.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    You are wrong,

I don't like all this exclusivity with Nokia and US carriers, but there is no way I'll be leaving Verizon for any phone. With my 17% discount, unlimited data, and excellent service, I'm with Verizon until two of those three factors changes.
    DavidinCT likes this.

I often wonder whether exclusivity is a necessity or a strategy.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FavBrowser View Post
    You are wrong,
    Funny since the very next comment proves my point.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Yeah, I said I'd switch but the service for VZW as a business traveler is just superior.

Global Posts
    2,333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phirefly View Post
    Funny since the very next comment proves my point.
    Not really. There have been many comments in this forum from people who have moved for a phone, myself included. It wont be the best choice for everyone but where coverage is not an issue I dont see why anyone should be loyal to Verizon or any other carrier when At&t has shown repeatedly they the best choice for the best WP devices.
    hopmedic and Rick2340 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    It wont be the best choice for everyone but where coverage is not an issue I dont see why anyone should be loyal to Verizon or any other carrier when At&t has shown repeatedly they the best choice for the best WP devices.
    I don't think coverage is the only thing keeping some, if not most from leaving Verizon. The discount is an incredibly good reason to not jump ship. Nevertheless, I understand what you mean. With all things equal, no one should be loyal to any one company.
    Thanked by:
    phirefly and Laura Knotek like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Kez View Post
    I think it's Nokia's strategy, albeit one I don't agree with.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theefman View Post
    Not really. There have been many comments in this forum from people who have moved for a phone, myself included. It wont be the best choice for everyone but where coverage is not an issue I dont see why anyone should be loyal to Verizon or any other carrier when At&t has shown repeatedly they the best choice for the best WP devices.
    I didn't say everyone, I said "many people". I jumped from Sprint to AT&T because of WP support but I'm a big fan. A very small population is a big fan of WP and a small portion of that population would jump carriers because of a phone.

What are their release dates?

I still believe that the 928 will release first. Either way that is the one that I am getting.

The EOS is months away...

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I think it's a necessity. Nokia is not the powerhouse that they once were so unlike Samsung and Apple, they pretty much have to let the carriers call the shots.
    My 920 still kicks plenty of **** (got it debut weekend) so the 928 should do just fine when it finally comes.

ATT offers the same discount Verizon does. For corporate busniess and all students and state jobs. But it is 20% on ATT. I get it for being an employee of NOAA (USA federal government).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Kez View Post
    The most honest answer is that it is a bit of both.

Nokia has determined that they don't have the ability to market their smartphones independently and must rely on carrier marketing support. Nokia has also determined that they must compete on price, and their only way of doing so is by negotiating higher than average subsidies from carriers. They have also determined that they need better POS presence. Obviously, Nokia must rely on carriers for all of those things, and Nokia has nothing to offer in return except device exclusivity.

Put yourself in Nokia's shoes. If you want that level of cooperation from carriers, then you need to go along with their demands. What would you do?

What I can't judge is how necessary that level of cooperation actually is for Nokia, but given that Nokia and WP are/were essentially unknown brands in the U.S. I'm guessing it's quite important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenic17 View Post
    ATT offers the same discount Verizon does. For corporate busniess and all students and state jobs. But it is 20% on ATT. I get it for being an employee of NOAA (USA federal government).
    Actually, whether you get a discount or not and how much that discount is depends on the company you work for, and which wireless company or companies they have deals with. I've worked for a number of Fortune 100 firms, and one had only a discount at Verizon, one had deals with Verizon, Sprint, and ATT, and the one I currently work for only has Verizon. I've also gotten discounts ranging from 15% to 21%, depending on which company I was with at the time.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!