Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hopmedic
  1.    #1  
    Is the Lumia 928 coming out in other countries outside of the USA? All I've heard about it is that it's coming to Verizon.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,410 Global Posts
    Would be nice if it did. But it probably won't.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Not the Lumia 928, but the device code named Catwalk is rumored to be coming to countries other than the USA... (it may come to the USA also under T-Mobile)

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Just thought id add that this hasnt actually been confirmed either way. I personally uphold the possibility that it might get out of the US. Maybe under a different name/number

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    The device may be of limited usefulness outside of the US, depending on if it supports GSM/GPRS/HSPA

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chris7191 View Post
    The device may be of limited usefulness outside of the US, depending on if it supports GSM/GPRS/HSPA
    No reason that the rest of the world wont get a different version of it. Its a fundamental rehash of the 920 hardware. Changing some of the smaller things like that isnt much effort to get it into more markets with little to no R+D cost

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    The cost isn't that small. They have to redo antennas, firmware, and retest all to release a device that is barely different than what they currently offer for those carriers. They will get the Catwalk instead most likely. No one else got Lumia 822 did they?
    What other carrier has a Lumia with a number ending in !=0? Verizon is currently the only one, and it is a carrier-specific model. TMO is getting one, and it is a carrier-specific model. No way is this CDMA phone going to go outside the US, even though it will have GSM radios in it.
    - Rich

WPCentral.com | WPCentral Store | Mobile Nations Forum Rules

Join Bing Rewards and get rewarded - and get me a few bonus points!

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopmedic View Post
    What other carrier has a Lumia with a number ending in !=0? Verizon is currently the only one, and it is a carrier-specific model. TMO is getting one, and it is a carrier-specific model. No way is this CDMA phone going to go outside the US, even though it will have GSM radios in it.
    TMo is getting the 521
    Which Lumia are they getting that will end in 0?

Ive seeb the catwalk called 910 before...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmajid View Post
    TMo is getting the 521
    Which Lumia are they getting that will end in 0?
    Someone doesn't know what != means.
    - Rich

jmajid likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,410 Global Posts
    If my programming knowledge serves me correctly it means "Does Not Equal"

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Yup. And the question I asked would be "What other carrier has a Lumia with a number ending in not 0?"
    - Rich

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    i do know what that means - i can blame the quick scanning of the posts for my error this time :)

Global Posts
    1,310 Global Posts
    Not that I care because I live in the US but, the 8X was sim unlocked, what makes this one different ? LTE uses a SIM card and Verizon has been promoting World phones all the time (bigest problem with CDMA only phones), so I would BET this 928 would work on other carriers, If it is LOCKED to Verizon, that is a different story.

Verizon is going to a SIM based system with LTE....not sure why this would not work...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post
    Not that I care because I live in the US but, the 8X was sim unlocked, what makes this one different ? LTE uses a SIM card and Verizon has been promoting World phones all the time (bigest problem with CDMA only phones), so I would BET this 928 would work on other carriers, If it is LOCKED to Verizon, that is a different story.

Verizon is going to a SIM based system with LTE....not sure why this would not work...
    It will be SIM unlocked, all Verizon's 4G LTE phones have to be due to FCC regulations regarding device access to spectrum in the 700mhz C block

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations
    (e) Handset locking prohibited. No licensee may disable features on handsets it provides to customers, to the extent such features are compliant with the licensee's standards pursuant to paragraph (b)of this section, nor configure handsets it provides to prohibit use of such handsets on other providers' networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidinCT View Post

822 is SIM unlocked. They don't sell it anywhere outside the US. Sure you could get it, and it would work, but that's a whole different scenario than "The 822 is now available on Orange UK".

Just because Verizon's smart phones are also world phones (having GSM radios and such), does not mean they are sold elsewhere. You still have to get it from a US seller.
    - Rich

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Im still going for the likelihood of there being a variant of the 928 being global. It seriously makes no sense that Nokia chose to announce their May Lumia reveal before the 928 reveal.