- 09-04-2013, 12:48 PM #1
I am an Android phone user who is quite happy with my current phone. But ever since I saw the rise & rise of Windows phones (the 920 & now 925) I am getting curious. That is why I would like to ask these questions that would decide my choice for my upcoming upgrade late this year.
1. Does the Lumia's Bluetooth allows my phone to connect to any Bluetooth devices such as speakers, etc.? Or send a photo via bluetooth to ANY phone?
2. Does Lumia have a quick toggle to settings to instantly turn on or off settings such as wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, etc. (much like the notification drop down bar of Android)?
3. Does the Lumia 925 (or 920) have Dolby Mobile or Dolby capability in its music player? Is there a customisable equaliser to the new Lumias? Surround sound? Bass? Preset EQ settings?
Can one create a Playlist on-the-fly or via the device itself? And does the Lumia's music player have the ability to "find" or search for the Album art of a song/s?
4. Can I drag n drop files (.mp3, .flac, .mp4) from my Mac to the Lumia with ease? No need of any 1st-party app?
5. Can I set my default email to Gmail?
What alternatives can you guys recommend for Google Maps, Google Chrome, Google Translate, and Google Drive and Google Keep (that new note-taking app)?
6. Is there a pinch to zoom feature in zooming objects for taking photos? Is there an option to edit then share them via Email, Bluetooth, Twitter, Instagram, Dropbox, etc.? A way to set photos as a phones's wallpaper?
7. Any Skype typing feature? (For faster typing)
8. Any good alternatives music player, video player for the Lumia?
9. Does the Lumia (or any WP8 phones) have the capability to print wirelessly to a wireless printer?
10. Slightly off-topic....Can one send complaints suggestions to an app developer via the Marketplace? (much like Google's Play store)
11. How fast is the shutter speed of the Lumia cameras? Is there a panorama mode? Can i easily or quickly see a photo that i have taken then easily & quickly edit them then send them via bluetooth or post them via Twitter, etc.,?
12. Battery life any good? Does it lasts say at least 24 hours unlike my Galaxy S3 LTE that lasts barely a day.
13. Games are still a disappointment as i am writing this 7 out 10 of my games are NOT on the Marketplace. is MS doing anything about this?
Please advice. Thanks.
- 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM #2
Yes to almost everything. Question 13, they are reacting ..
I suggest you have to use a Windows Phone device in hand to experience it best. If you have access to stores which display WP devices, you should check them out.
Last edited by crash1989; 09-04-2013 at 01:06 PM.
- 09-06-2013, 05:23 PM #10
Shifting from Android to Windows Phone 8 is quite big. And a challenge i think.
What's important to me are several things:
1. Screen size - I am used to the 4.7" screen size of my Galaxy S3. More than than is gonna be quite big for my hands and pocket. Smaller than that might be negligible as long as its a 720p screen, bright & crispy colours.
2. Audio & music player - Tinny & soft speakers sound is a turn off. Watching a Youtube video or waiting for a phone call its quite important to me. I'm also an audiophile. I like my music to sound solid, crisp, clear with no distortion. Android-esque features such ability to create and edit a Playlist, deleting a song , ability to find an Album art all on-the-fly is a plus but sound quality comes as my priority especially with headphones connected.
3. Battery life - Very subjective and depends on use. I would say i'm a moderate user. I use my phone whenever i want and having no updates or lots of synching happening at the background. A full day of battery life is a must for me.
4. Camera - I know Nokia Lumia might have a better than iPhone/Android shooter but features such as burst mode, ultra quick shutter speed, quick access to a taken photo and to easily edit and then share a photo instantly is a must.
5. UI - opening & closing of apps is very important. Even if its just transferring a file via bluetooth to a device.
6. Build quality - My old Symbian Nokia phones have excellent battery life & build quality. But heard of "high repairs/returns" of Lumia phones troubles me. True?
7. Updates - Because of Android's open source infrastructure all these companies tend to overlay their own "bloatware" to the standard Android OS thus updates are being delivered very often (or late) sometimes as long as 6-9 months. Am i going to wait for 6-9 months before each WP8 update to the Lumia range?
8. Apps - based on the replies i got there seems to be enough WP8 Marketplace alternatives to my Android apps. No problem in that. But there are still ones missing there. I've emailed those companies and so far 8 out of 10 said they have no plans or roadmap for a WP8 alternative. Quite worrying.
9. Games - Its nice to play a good game in your phone when your waiting for something or someone or when your travelling. Again, found out 8 out of 10 of my Android games are NOT on the Marketplace. Again, worrying. In a way.
10. Mac compatibility - So far haven't found any definitive info as to full Mac computers compatibility and easy drag n' drop of files.
Last edited by Gino Guillermo; 09-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
- 09-08-2013, 12:51 PM #13Nokia Lumia 925 / Nokia Lumia 920 / LG Nexus 4 Occam 4.3 / Asus Google Nexus 7 4.3
- 09-13-2013, 05:58 PM #15
I think when it comes to build quality, battery, smooth OS and the camera WP8 on a Nokia Lumia is tops.
But moving from Android to a Windows Phone is a very big change. My issue is partly money. I think the question here is: Am i prepared to spend my money on WP8 apps & games if i have a solid line-up on my Android phone including those all-important games already?
- By Chris Sandiford in forum The "Off Topic" LoungeReplies: 4Last Post: 09-05-2013, 02:23 PM
- By azaright in forum Windows Phone GamesReplies: 7Last Post: 09-05-2013, 03:36 AM
- By eugie in forum General Microsoft News and DiscussionReplies: 2Last Post: 09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
- By TechMinerUK in forum IntroductionsReplies: 4Last Post: 09-02-2013, 04:09 PM
- By hallam555 in forum Other OS's and DevicesReplies: 19Last Post: 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM