Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By luk3ja
  • 1 Post By Kebero
  • 1 Post By akks
  • 2 Post By Jazmac

im just wondering because i got mine in august and really don't want to have to change phones because of the next update?

Yes, ALL phones with Windows Phone 8 will get the 8.1 update! Even the Lumia 520.
    Thanked by:
    Muessig, Chief_Adu and faalil like this.
    Yes.. Definately... All WP 8 will get it..

yes but when????? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bossmads View Post
    yes but when????? :-)
    Around January 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Hackemate View Post
    Around January 2014
    Nokia Black update coming January 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by josipogo View Post
    Nokia Black update coming January 2014.
    Nokia black coming before then, the pedometer is being added to glance screen in early 2014, have a look at the verge
    Thanked by:
    lcw731 

Global Posts
    1,011 Global Posts
    Since I can't multiquote right now:

Windows Phone 8.1 is likely for the spring, and we'll see it moving closer to RT at that point, with possibly a new GDR for WinRT

GDR3 has already begun to roll out to non-Nokia phones. Nokia phones will see the official roll out alongside the Nokia Black firmware, tipped for Q1.
    Thanked by:
    faalil 
    faalil likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebero View Post
    Since I can't multiquote right now:

Windows Phone 8.1 is likely for the spring, and we'll see it moving closer to RT at that point, with possibly a new GDR for WinRT

GDR3 has already begun to roll out to non-Nokia phones. Nokia phones will see the official roll out alongside the Nokia Black firmware, tipped for Q1.
    I honestly think (and hope) black will be out before then, I use navifirm and it notifies me about every new firmware the has been released so I will know when it is released to even developers devices so will check back here when I see anything!!

Of course Nokia will roll out yet another phone about that time with 8.1 pre-installed, thus pushing back 8.1 rollout for every previous Nokia phone by 6 months..... Thats getting old real fast.

Somehow, I doubt the 920 will see 8.1. It's too early to say.

Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Yes, but I seriously doubt the 920 will receive all the features though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazmac View Post
    Somehow, I doubt the 920 will see 8.1. It's too early to say.
    8.1 was announced for every WP8 device. And the L920 is high-end. Then the 1520 will come will have the low-end :520-720-820, mainstream 92x-1320, high-end 929, 1520. Yeah, that will be the new order, but that doesn't need that Microsoft is just throwing everything they've build and sold thus far out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by psudotechzealot View Post
    Yes, but I seriously doubt the 920 will receive all the features though.
    is there that much feature to come in 8.1 other than the notification centre? Seems like jus another GDR rather than a big update. So i think all wp8 devices will get the update.
    Billy Gun likes this.

Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Why wouldn't the Lumia 920 receive 8.1? Because it has too weak internals? That is in this case not applicable, because this isn't the Android platform. We will get the update as well as 925, 928, 1020, 1320 and 1520. The first 3 have the same internals as 920, and it would be a shame if we wouldn't get it. MS can't affort such a fail.
    Nokia Lumia 920 - Yellow
    FW Rev #: 3051.40000.1349.0003 - Lumia Black

Quote Originally Posted by Acryion View Post
    8.1 was announced for every WP8 device. And the L920 is high-end. Then the 1520 will come will have the low-end :520-720-820, mainstream 92x-1320, high-end 929, 1520. Yeah, that will be the new order, but that doesn't need that Microsoft is just throwing everything they've build and sold thus far out the window.
    Not sure how long you've been on the platform but there were substantial promises made with Windows Phone 7, its capabilities, its future up until those promises all changed. As much as I do admire my Lumia 920, a lot could change between this thread and the actual release. Its too early to be making plans.
    techiez and thomas wojcik like this.

the comments are scarying me, if it doesn't come to the 920, it just pushes customers away tbh, i mean on ios, the updates always go to phone at least 3 gens back, as someone at sixth form(yr 12) i can't afford to keep getting new phone everything a major change/update come out. i love windows phone but if 8.1 doesn't go to the 920 then i just think wp will struggle to get more users, especially as 90% of my friends are on 2-2 and half years contract,i asked this question because one of them of thinking of getting a 920 but needed to know if he would get the next major update.
    also just to add, after the rumour about bb to wp8 have there been any developments? or news

thanks in advance

it will come to all WP8 devices because Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 both have the same core, Windows Phone 7 was based on an old version of Windows which would hold it back significantly, therefore they needed to do what they did to allow all the future innovation and they won't be doing it again

Quote Originally Posted by kingenu View Post
    the comments are scarying me, if it doesn't come to the 920, it just pushes customers away tbh, i mean on ios, the updates always go to phone at least 3 gens back, as someone at sixth form(yr 12) i can't afford to keep getting new phone everything a major change/update come out. i love windows phone but if 8.1 doesn't go to the 920 then i just think wp will struggle to get more users, especially as 90% of my friends are on 2-2 and half years contract,i asked this question because one of them of thinking of getting a 920 but needed to know if he would get the next major update.
    also just to add, after the rumour about bb to wp8 have there been any developments? or news

thanks in advance

That's the downside, (if you want to call it that) of a developing technology. You get the best of what they have to offer on the day they drop it, but always, right around the corner is the next big thing. Sometimes you get there by being on the cusp of your last contract, and sometimes, you miss out before the ink dries.

Quote Originally Posted by luk3ja View Post
    it will come to all WP8 devices because Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 both have the same core, Windows Phone 7 was based on an old version of Windows which would hold it back significantly, therefore they needed to do what they did to allow all the future innovation and they won't be doing it again
    Good luck with that but I'm telling you, WP7 was to go far. In fact, I moved to this platform based on theatrics and promises. I survived the disappoints but my WP7 was supposed to be able do do things like no other phone could. I took the bait that said my WP7 would look at my flight schedule, look at the clock and traffic and let me know if I would get there in time. This was the technology that convinced me and I convinced my wife, who never wanted WP to give it a shot. Again, I've gotten over the disappointments and we both love the platform. But make no mistake about it, Microsoft could turn this thing on a dime and you'll not see 8.1 and be justified at the same time. Me, I'm already looking towards the first 8.1 devices as my next purchase. If we get 8.1 sweet but as I said before, its too early to say.

Yes it will.

Relax Kingenu, you will get 8.1 on the 920. If you pay attention, there are already demo 920 devices out there running it. As index1366 stated, the 920 has the same hardware as many of the newer phones.

We are going to be in good shape.
    Thanked by:

Windows Phone Blue release update on May 24, 2014