- 08-11-2013, 10:07 AM #1
For those using an unlocked Rogers Lumia 920 device on WIND Mobile (or other AWS 3G carriers): I can report that flashing the Amber/GDR2 euro dev ROM (for those who still couldn't download amber,,EURO DEV ROM (059R4H6)) using NCS offers great results.
Tested working on this ROM so far:
- AWS band for 3G
- HSPA+ 3.5G data speed bump (introduced in the Rogers 1314 ROM)
- all LTE bands appear to be preserved (Rogers, Bell and Telus all show 3G, 4G in scan)
- AutoDataConfig (ADC) works, reads APN settings from SIM and connects to data service at first boot (before you even launch Access Point)
- DataSense! (so much for that "on select carriers only" crap - I really doubt that WIND has done anything to enable this, and they shouldn't have to)
- FM radio (though it is stuck on Euro settings with no way to switch to North America - which just means it tunes every 0.1 KHz, rather than every 0.2 KHz - you can still get all the NA stations this way of course)
- Nokia 2013 sounds (updated ringtone, alarm, email and SMS sounds)
- Glance and double-tap screen to turn on power
- Customizeable camera app launching with hardware key
- Google/Gmail email, contact and calendar sync with IMAP/CardDAV/CalDAV, not ActiveSync (sadly, MS did not implement IMAP Push so most frequent check is every 15 minutes)
Some things for you to do:
- update Smart Cam app, install Pro Cam, etc. either with your own Fiddler2 proxy (Install Nokia Pro Cam, Nokia Video Upload and Video Trimmer on L920 GDR2) or by setting your phone's region to United States and using external proxy (Install any manufacturers app from one place!!)
- update all other Lumia settings apps using QR codes (QR codes to Nokia updates) to get "Peek" option for the Glance function in display+touch app, as well as call+sms filter
- remember to disable "tap+send" in settings, if you don't use the feature - others are reporting big battery savings on the Amber ROMs if you do this
- update all the preinstalled apps: by now, HERE Maps/Drive/Transit all have new versions, and the latest update has made my compass more accurate
If you're running the 1314 firmware from Rogers, you could always wait until they push their own Amber/GDR2 OTA update, and keep all your apps/settings. But some features, like DataSense, might only work with a clean install anyway. If you were thinking about jumping to Amber now, hopefully the above info is helpful. Same goes for TMO-US users.
Tip for reinstalling all your apps easily:
- Plug your phone into the charger.
- Turn on WiFi (make sure you don't have a proxy turned on anymore from installing Pro Cam, etc.), go to Advanced in WiFi and check "Keep WiFi on when the screen times out".
- Open the Store on your phone.
- Go to your computer browser and visit https://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/my/purchase-history
- There should be reinstall links on the right-hand side of the screen. If your phone is connected and sitting at the Store screen, you should be able to just click "Reinstall" next to each app listed in your PC's browser and push all your apps back to your phone at once.
- With minimal lag, you'll eventually see all the apps installing in sequence on your phone, i.e. "34 downloads in progress" or whatever.
- Leave the phone plugged into the charger, and go to bed. When you wake up, all your apps are back on the phone.
Now you just have to go into each app and configure, sign in, etc. I finished this over coffee this morning, and so far my 920 seems to be running faster and better than ever.
Last edited by benjaminries; 08-14-2013 at 05:48 PM.
- 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM #2
You sir, are a hero. Thank you for this.
Edit: just installed it, had some issue with getting it to start recovery but it is going well now. Just restored my settings, will confirm that data and all still work just fine.
Edit 2: Everything looks peachy so far. Honestly it was a matter of time before I started flashing firmware on my own, glad that I finally started doing it.
Data works fine, accounts are working fine, just gotta set most of the things back up and I'll be good to do.
Last edited by MyThIc3LiTe; 08-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.
- 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM #5
No crashes for me, battery life seems just as good or better (and I'm using the glance/peek function). Updated details that I'll put in the first post: FM radio working (though it uses Euro settings), and with today's HERE Maps update, my compass inaccuracy issues are fixed. Also, the Nokia 2013 sounds (ringtone, email, text, alarm) are built into this ROM.
08-14-2013, 06:24 PM #6
- 10 Posts
I want to update my AT&T 920, but I am not sure what would happen if some update appears in the future and I update the phone via OTA or with some standar ROM as it may need some special ROM like this one. Any ideas? Can we go back to stock AT&T ROM safely?
- 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM #9
When Rogers pushed out the Amber update, I just flashed my phone back to the Rogers firmware. So now, I'm on the Rogers Amber firmware...
- 08-30-2013, 05:26 PM #10
Is the Rogers 920 the same as the 920 Developer Build in the US? I got one from the Developer Build last year.
Manufacturer Name: RM-820_nam_canada_246.
I am getting annoyed and restless that an unlocked version is seemingly getting this Amber update last.
- 08-30-2013, 06:45 PM #13
- 08-30-2013, 11:11 PM #15
How do I go directly to Rogers GDR2?
Last edited by kevinn206; 08-30-2013 at 11:43 PM.
- 08-31-2013, 02:40 AM #17
Product Code: 059R2L5
Variant name: RM-820 ATT DEVELOPER DEVICE BLK
Software version: 3047.0000.1326.2001
Estimated size: 1.31 GB / 1.31 GB
Honestly, seeing the word ATT gives me the shiver from losing the AWS band. Is this the same as the Rogers' GDR2? What's the product of Roger's GDR2? Thanks!
- 08-31-2013, 04:25 AM #18
- 09-01-2013, 12:48 AM #24
- By venu238 in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 29Last Post: 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM
- By Stu Malin in forum HTC 8XReplies: 7Last Post: 08-17-2013, 04:20 PM
- By Boris Lozac in forum Nokia Lumia 520Replies: 8Last Post: 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM
- By Aldi Ducon in forum Nokia Lumia 920Replies: 2Last Post: 08-11-2013, 07:51 AM