Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Well I've got a dilemma, and I'd like to get you're feedback.

I have a Unlocked Rogers Black L920, with FW 1314.
    I used to live in Canada, but am now back in France (on SFR network if that matters).
    I really want the Amber update!!

I have a feeling that since I'm not on Rogers network anymore, I won't ever get the OTA update (SFR doesn't carry the L920), am I right?
    I'm also having a feeling that my connectivity in France is not what it could be (not as good as what I experienced on Rogers), could a EU rom improve on that?
    I don't care for any crapware from Rogers, plus would like to get DataSense and other features that might not be available on any of Rogers roms.

So, I'm pondering the decision to flash my phone using one of the guides found on the forum:

VegaNovus
    or
    juan6996

A few concerns though:
    - Is it confirmed that flashing a RM820 to RM821, there's no way back? (or is there?)
    - France only has 4G at the moment, but I travel to Canada often and don't really want to give up on LTE.
    - I really need for all features to work (SMS/MMS, etc...) and not to loose my Sim unlock (from what I gather, it's ok, but I want to make sure)
    - I understand that there's a chance that I won't get further OTA after flashing, is that correct?
    - Is there any app limitations that I should know about on a flashed phone? (here)

What do you guys think?

Should I flash?
    What would be the best Rom for my case in you opinion?

If I go through, in my case since I'm already on Rogers's 1314, am I right in thinking that I can just go directly to flashing an Amber rom?

Many thanks in advance for any useful feedback!!

there's no way back to rm820 and you'll end up messing up your bands.

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I would recommend using the euro dev rom in my tutorial. It lets you choose the best network bands for your network, and remover all carrier crapware and gives you all GDR2/Amber features. If you end up not liking it for some reason, just flash it back to the pre-portico rom found in my tutorial and OTA update to the newest firmware. If you don't care about loosing app data, there's really nothing to loose. Good luck. You won't loose SIM unlock.
    Samsung Focus -> Samsung Focus Flash -> Nokia Lumia 900 -> Nokia Lumia 920 (GDR2/Amber) -> [SOON ��] Lumia 1020 (GDR2/Amber)
    Asus VivoTab RT 32GB (8.1 RT RTM) + Surface Pro 128GB (8.1 RTM)
    I ❤ Windows ��
    Thanked by:

You will get the OTA once Rogers pushes it
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    @juan6996
    Thanks!
    So you're referring to the amber fw for product code 059R4H6, right?
    I've read on other French forums that the unbranded product code for France is 059Q8C2.
    But I'm guessing that means I'll only have 4G then, so I take it that your recommendation is more flexible.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pankaj981 View Post
    You will get the OTA once Rogers pushes it
    Oh! Even using a different network, with a different SIM in a different country?

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
    @juan6996
    Thanks!
    So you're referring to the amber fw for product code 059R4H6, right?
    I've read on other French forums that the unbranded product code for France is 059Q8C2.
    But I'm guessing that means I'll only have 4G then, so I take it that your recommendation is more flexible.
    yes. If I was in your position, its what I would do
    Samsung Focus -> Samsung Focus Flash -> Nokia Lumia 900 -> Nokia Lumia 920 (GDR2/Amber) -> [SOON ��] Lumia 1020 (GDR2/Amber)
    Asus VivoTab RT 32GB (8.1 RT RTM) + Surface Pro 128GB (8.1 RTM)
    I ❤ Windows ��
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Badcard View Post
    Oh! Even using a different network, with a different SIM in a different country?
    yes, i use a rogers 920 w/ tmobile usa
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by juan6996 View Post
    I would recommend using the euro dev rom in my tutorial. It lets you choose the best network bands for your network, and remover all carrier crapware and gives you all GDR2/Amber features. If you end up not liking it for some reason, just flash it back to the pre-portico rom found in my tutorial and OTA update to the newest firmware. If you don't care about loosing app data, there's really nothing to loose. Good luck. You won't loose SIM unlock.
    Does it keeps the AWS Tmobile-US band?

Quote Originally Posted by FearL0rd View Post
    Does it keeps the AWS Tmobile-US band?
    the 1308 firmware does preserve it, not sure about this one
    I have a question, I have a rogers l920, do I need to change it to rm821 before flasing it with euro rom or not?

Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    No you shouldn't. I did it with the euro rom. But I went back cause my me tile picture didn't update the pic when I changed it