Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MyThIc3LiTe
  • 1 Post By Noahma

I've had my 920 since launch, and haven't had any issues with it until now. For some reason, over the last few days, it's been burning through battery.

The first night, I took it off the charger at around 2 or 3 am. When I woke up, around 10:30, it had gone from a full charge to 9%. I always back out if everything so nothing's running when I leave it that way.

Since then, I haven't had the same issues with it losing battery on standby, but after using it for more than 10 or 15 minutes, whether I'm using apps to check social networks or browsing the internet, the back heats up and percentage loss of battery hits 35% per hour, according to Battery Sense.

Anyone else dealt with similar issues with a seemingly non-faulty 920?

EDIT: Fixed some typos, originally submitted via my phone.
    Last edited by BlobDude; 07-31-2013 at 05:45 PM.

try turning off Location and rebooting the phone
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    try turning off Location and rebooting the phone
    What is this supposed to do? Do you need to keep location off after?

I don't know about turning location off, but with various past phones like the Lumia 900, sometimes the system would get hot and devour the battery. It happens to other phones sometimes too. But whatever bug triggered that wouldn't persist over a restart. So restarting is usually the best way to stop the battery draining if it's due to random software haywireness.

The exact same thing is happening to my phone.

The thing is, this happened to me before. I've fixed it by allowing location access to all my apps. Read somewhere that the apps will keep on prompting for location access if not allowed. Afterwards, been using my phone error free for at least two months when suddenly my battery is acting up again.

I suspect this is due to the updates of some of my application. Will try to open all application again and monitor the battery life.

Same here with L820
    Current WP: Lumia 925
    Current WT: Microsoft Surface 2 w/ Touch Cover 2

History WP: Samsung Omnia W > Lumia 710 > Lumia 800 > Lumia 620 > Lumia 820 > Samsung ATIV S > Lumia 920
    History WT: Asus Vivo TAB Smart > Toshiba Encore 8 > Microsoft Surface RT

You have an app that is not playing nice. Either remove the app or take James advise and turn off location.
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I saw the title and thought the battery was literally bleeding...

Disappointed.
    BlobDude and TechFreak1 like this.

Welcome to the random discharge club. Looking forward to GDR2 in the small hope that they'll have fixed it.

I always get battery drain and heat issues when using Nokia Drive+ and Location on.
    Having Location on makes battery drain faster as well, noticeably so turning it off saves juice. also it would greatly increase your privacy...

Quote Originally Posted by James8561 View Post
    I always get battery drain and heat issues when using Nokia Drive+ and Location on.
    Having Location on makes battery drain faster as well, noticeably so turning it off saves juice. also it would greatly increase your privacy...
    I have the same problem after using Drive, I get battery drain. The heat Issue is not a problem for me as I have an AC vent behind my phone mount lol. If I turn off drive + and let it sit in the charger for a bit the drain does not happen.
    James8561 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
    I have the same problem after using Drive, I get battery drain. The heat Issue is not a problem for me as I have an AC vent behind my phone mount lol. If I turn off drive + and let it sit in the charger for a bit the drain does not happen.
    If my phone is in the charger, battery drain does not happen either.

Let me reword that. If I shut down drive, then remove the phone from the charger I start getting battery drain immediately. If I shut down drive, let it sit in the charger for say five min. When I remove it, the battery drain does not happen. It will discharge like it should. I wonder if there is some process that gets stuck with drive that will shut down some time after you shut down the program, but not right away.

The times I've had issues a restart seems to resolve the problem. Something probably gets stuck consuming CPU cycles, regardless of whether you've closed everything or not, and as long as you're charging the phone before it totally drains the problem won't go away.

For me I've found the problem arises from two scenarios. 1) long gaming sessions where the phone runs hot; and 2) apps or games that crash multiple times in a row. The heat issue is hardware related, but it would seem that when an app crashes it doesn't always properly get cleared out.

It would be nice if Microsoft introduced a proper task manager for Windows Phone.

As I've said in different threads this drain is related to the way of handling the 3G/4G network, the heat is coming from the upper right part, where the antena is. So nokia should give us a software fix for this.

Quote Originally Posted by xratola View Post
    As I've said in different threads this drain is related to the way of handling the 3G/4G network, the heat is coming from the upper right part, where the antena is. So nokia should give us a software fix for this.
    First of all, antennas don't overheat. Second, the antennas are located down the side and at the bottom.

The processors are all located in the area behind the camera, which is why that's where the phone gets warm. Battery drain occurs when a phone is constantly hunting for a decent signal, whether it's switching between 3G or 4G or simply trying to stay connected. This happens to all phones, not just the Lumia 920. My friend experiences this very problem with his iPhone.

That said, this isn't the kind of problem that causes a phone to go from full charge to nearly dead in a few hours. The battery drain issue has been widely discussed and it's pretty well established that the excessive drain issue is not due to wireless networks or weak signals.

Turning off locations and doing a hard reboot seems to have done the trick. Doesn't heat up nearly as much, consumption spikes are a much more reasonable 20%/hour, and it recovers much more quickly from the spikes.

Thanks, all! Here's to hoping GDR2 or, more likely, 8.1 fixes these issues/gives us a proper task manager.

Quote Originally Posted by BlobDude View Post
    Turning off locations and doing a hard reboot seems to have done the trick. Doesn't heat up nearly as much, consumption spikes are a much more reasonable 20%/hour, and it recovers much more quickly from the spikes.

Thanks, all! Here's to hoping GDR2 or, more likely, 8.1 fixes these issues/gives us a proper task manager.
    Hmm does it still heat up? sounds like it does.

Yes, but rarely. Mostly when playing certain games for more than 10 minutes. Other than that, it gets just a little warmer.

Guys, Battery Draining is happening in GDR2 much faster. I flashed with Amber, so it's clean install. It got discharged like anything [though I was playing Online UNO with Wifi and lasted for 1 hour]. I am putting it back to charge and lets see.

Quote Originally Posted by nitin88 View Post
    Guys, Battery Draining is happening in GDR2 much faster. I flashed with Amber, so it's clean install. It got discharged like anything [though I was playing Online UNO with Wifi and lasted for 1 hour]. I am putting it back to charge and lets see.
    Great. :(

So it sounds like they've not fixed the rapid discharge bug.

Quote Originally Posted by realwarder View Post
    Great. :(

So it sounds like they've not fixed the rapid discharge bug.
    Maybe but he was playing a game after all.. lol