So I was tired of constantly overshooting my 12GB LTE data bundle (don't ask how I manage to do so every month), so I decided to try to find out if there is a way of forcing GDR2 to get Data Sense.

First, I used fiddler and connected my Lumia 920 to fiddler2. Success! I can see everything that the phone does with the internet, even see where the phone gets its tile updates from.

Second, I tried checking for an update, then went to fiddler to realise it doesn't go through a secure server to check updates. BREAKTHROUGH! Then the phone downloads 2 files, a DLL file called 5_UssDetection.dll and a CAB file called duredir.cab which I assume is some kind of update checker. It repeats this "download-and-check" process several times until it concludes that there is no new update.

Now, fiddler has a function called AutoResponder, which if the phone requests for something, it will reply differently (EXAMPLE 1: You can configure AutoResponder so that whoever asks for wheat bread they'll get sourdough instead).

What I need now is for someone who has gotten the GDR2 update notification, and hasn't downloaded the update yet. This method will work for ALL WP8 phones (I won't be responsible if you get bricked)

I need your help with this :)
    Hit the "thanks" button if you thought the post above was helpful!

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370
    Firmware: 2424.12.12.3
    ROM: UK OPEN
    Network: StarHub
    Dev Unlocked: ✔

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    yeah, sounds good! May be you can ask someone ask this thread to help also: Fiddlin with WIndows Updates - xda-developers

Since you did this, can you access the store?

As in the Windows Store? No but I have possibly found a way of piracy on Windows Phone 8 through the fiddler method. I will not mention it here though. It is a rather easy method but requires alot of patience.

Update store? No but my buddy has access to all Navifirm FWs (works as a technician at Nokia) and will let me download a ROM for my 920 (hopefully, a Amber/GDR2)

Still working on finding the GDR2 updates. If only you can update your phone's FW/SW via a desktop application.

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I flashed my Italian 920 to a Swedish with another product code using this guide.
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f609...ifirm-1656869/

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Easycure1974 View Post
    I flashed my Italian 920 to a Swedish with another product code using this guide.
    ...:: Download official Nokia firmware without Navifirm+ ::.. - GSM-Forum

I have no problem with flashing, I'm looking to get GDR2/Amber ROMs. I've flashed my Dev Kit 920 6 times.

Dev Kit EU - France - Italy - Singapore - UK EE - India - Vodafone - Dev Kit EU

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I thought that you generally could not find a desktop application to flash firmware with -sorry 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Easycure1974 View Post
    I thought that you generally could not find a desktop application to flash firmware with -sorry 

Technically, you are not wrong though. I worded my sentence wrongly. What I meant as a desktop application as in like Zune, where when WP7 users get an update, we would use fiddler to get the link and share it with the community

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370

Did anyone ever try mimic microsoft update server? If your friend gives you update he might also have the signing key. If he does you might be able to code which mimic the update checking progress, and then use a proxy to redirect the initial request then it might update.

Don't know if possible never really looked at windows phone 8 update process

Quote Originally Posted by WP8Expert View Post
    As in the Windows Store? No but I have possibly found a way of piracy on Windows Phone 8 through the fiddler method. I will not mention it here though. It is a rather easy method but requires alot of patience.

Update store? No but my buddy has access to all Navifirm FWs (works as a technician at Nokia) and will let me download a ROM for my 920 (hopefully, a Amber/GDR2)

Still working on finding the GDR2 updates. If only you can update your phone's FW/SW via a desktop application.
    This had im a stiches for a second then i realized the gigantic written possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonballz2k View Post
    Did anyone ever try mimic microsoft update server? If your friend gives you update he might also have the signing key. If he does you might be able to code which mimic the update checking progress, and then use a proxy to redirect the initial request then it might update.

Don't know if possible never really looked at windows phone 8 update process
    WP8 calls a CAB to find out whether there is a necessary update. If I redirect the CAB to (forsay, a local server), I want to see how the phone reacts. Will it detect it as an update and download and install? Or will I need to crack the .dll to see what it does.

Current Device:

Samsung ATIV S GT-I8370

I have a little question... If you flash with developer firmware can you install xap's manually?