Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Great News:

Windows Phone 8 update to activate FM radios, enable double-tap to wake Lumia 920 | The Verge

Microsoft is currently preparing a new Windows Phone 8 update, The Verge has learned. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed that the software maker plans to support FM radio hardware in its latest update, returning a hardware feature that the company dropped with its latest mobile OS. Windows Phone 7 used to support FM radio hardware, and Microsoft has been working to bring this support back to Windows Phone 8. The hardware support will be part of a General Distribution Release (GDR2) for Windows Phone 8. We understand that the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will support FM radio, while other compatible handsets will also include the support.

Nokia is also building in its own firmware improvements into GDR2. Sources familiar with Nokia's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company will add a new screen activation gesture. Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 owners will be able to double-tap the screen to wake the device from standby. Other firmware specific improvements from Nokia include a flip to silence option, and Lumia color profile settings for the device screen. We're told that the update, which is minor, will be made available over the coming months.
    Muessig and interopbyt like this.

Good news, if they do indeed.
    I'm waiting for the improvements!

I only have 200M plan. I hope they allow you to set wifi before restoring the backups.

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terence_27 View Post
    Double tap to wake up the same with Nokia N9 - MeeGo is the first swipe ui that is copied by Blackberry, The MeeGo Cards is renamed to Blackberry Frames, Social/Rss Feed - Blackberry Hub
    Yeah, I think that all old N9 users are sometimes double tapping their screen, just like an old habit, but it does not work with Lumia 920 (yet) ... I am missing that feature ...

I am glad to here this. Thank You Nokia for supporting great device.
    Awesome, double tap to wake up phone is so awesome, loved it on n9, thank u Nokia :)

FM Radio!!! YAY!
    Thanked by:
    interopbyt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzincurly View Post
    fm radio!!! Yay!
    yaaaaaay!

so i guess Lumia 820 and Lumia 920 Has radio hardware but the OS is not running them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignotum666 View Post
    Great News:

Windows Phone 8 update to activate FM radios, enable double-tap to wake Lumia 920 | The Verge

Microsoft is currently preparing a new Windows Phone 8 update, The Verge has learned. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed that the software maker plans to support FM radio hardware in its latest update, returning a hardware feature that the company dropped with its latest mobile OS. Windows Phone 7 used to support FM radio hardware, and Microsoft has been working to bring this support back to Windows Phone 8. The hardware support will be part of a General Distribution Release (GDR2) for Windows Phone 8. We understand that the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 will support FM radio, while other compatible handsets will also include the support.

Nokia is also building in its own firmware improvements into GDR2. Sources familiar with Nokia's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company will add a new screen activation gesture. Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 owners will be able to double-tap the screen to wake the device from standby. Other firmware specific improvements from Nokia include a flip to silence option, and Lumia color profile settings for the device screen. We're told that the update, which is minor, will be made available over the coming months.
    Months? Dopn't you mean weeks?
    As a former N9 user, I find myself double tapping my Lumia 920 every now and then waiting for the screen to light up... I usually do it until I remember that it is not my N9... BTW, I still keep my N9, locked up in a box for emergencies...
    longnd likes this.

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    FM Radio!!! YAY!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    yaaaaaay!
    As this is the 21st Century I much prefer internet radio!
    gsquared likes this.

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles R DeMourot View Post
    Months? Dopn't you mean weeks?
    Like everytime an update gets rolled out:
    - Lumia 920 AT&T: Available next week
    - Lumia 920 international unlocked bought for crazy Money: approx in 3 months...
    Phone: Nokia Lumia 920 (unlocked)
    Thanked by:
    Miesjh 
    WorzelGummage likes this.

Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sueha View Post
    - Lumia 920 international unlocked bought for crazy Money: approx in 3 months...
    How true
    Thanked by:
    Miesjh 

Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    Yeah, me too ... as long as there is power in battery and when low bat, then you start miss FM radio ...

Global Posts
    1,419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaripi View Post
    Yeah, me too ... as long as there is power in battery and when low bat, then you start miss FM radio ...
    It's also helpful for people that don't want to use data while commuting. Things like this will certainly help people on lower tiered data allotments which goes nicely with the low priced Lumias I think.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone

Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    I'd just like the option for both!

Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Or you aren't in a place that gets a signal.

Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Sports is always better on FM. Not such a drastic delay as on the web.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

FM Radio!!! YAY!
    Reminds me of when I had a Touch Pro 2. Ah, those days.
    Wow. Only now have they thought of bringing double-tap to open to WP8.

I'm curious, though. Is that possible in WP7?

Double tap to wake up the phone is a brilliant idea, never knew the N9 had this feature. Really looking forward to it.
    Thanked by:

waiting for the fm radio, and flip to silence..:D btw could someone explain how the double tap works on the n9??

Quote Originally Posted by sueha View Post
    ^this. I haven't got portico update yet. Can you imagine that?

I'm on a Lumia 900, how do I upgrade right now to a 920?
    Noob1ee likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast