Results 1 to 23 of 23
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TechAbstract
  • 2 Post By theprawn
  • 1 Post By Tjalsma
  1. Byzantium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
       #1  
    Hello, I have a relative with a Lumia 920 who just visited an AT&T store to get his phone replaced for the poor construction defect resulting in his front camera collecting dust but the store told him he has to go 30 miles up north to a warranty center since he bought his phone back in December.

    My question is, is this his only option or is there another way to demand a replacement?

    Did anybody have a similar problem where they went past the 14 day return period with AT&T but managed to get a replacement?
  2. explosive0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    #2  
    AT&T is not obligated to swap the phone after 14 days. Said relative should be dealing with Nokia directly.

    AT&T might have processed a warranty replacement for you (99.9% of the time, you'll get a refurb) if you had a "legitimate" defect, but I don't see them doing that for dust under the front facing camera.
  3. ryker002's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    149 Posts
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    #3  
    Use an aircan and just blow it out. Seems to work for everyone else.
  4. TechAbstract's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker002 View Post
    Use an aircan and just blow it out. Seems to work for everyone else.
    That is only for temporary solution. This is a design flaw. Thinking about getting a replacement for myself too.
    jaqueh likes this.
  5. Byzantium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by explosive012 View Post
    AT&T is not obligated to swap the phone after 14 days. Said relative should be dealing with Nokia directly.

    AT&T might have processed a warranty replacement for you (99.9% of the time, you'll get a refurb) if you had a "legitimate" defect, but I don't see them doing that for dust under the front facing camera.
    So pretty much every AT&T customer in this forum is dealing with Nokia directly after 14 days?
  6. RuleOfSines's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    114 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    So pretty much every AT&T customer in this forum is dealing with Nokia directly after 14 days?
    I probably will be. Nokia said got give it a shot with AT&T if I need it soon, otherwise I can send it to them. My phone has various other issues besides just the dust though, hoping AT&T will do a swap.
  7. Dan In The Foo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by monlosez3 View Post
    That is only for temporary solution. This is a design flaw. Thinking about getting a replacement for myself too.
    Well, if indeed this is a design flaw, then clearly a replacement will not solve the issue..

    Just saying . . .
  8. Sinabu's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #8  
    My replacement came directly from Nokia and I worked with them. Started with them on twitter then they advised me to email there support and they processed the exchange through there
    Red Lumia 920
  9. johninsj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    373 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    So pretty much every AT&T customer in this forum is dealing with Nokia directly after 14 days?
    You can do a warranty swap for the first year from either AT&T or Nokia. I am just a few minutes from an AT&T service center, so I did AT&T. You can try getting them to do the swap by calling 611. Well after 14 days of purchase, you will get a refurb. It will look like new.
  10. theprawn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #10  
    AT&T said warranty swap wasn't an option, dust under the screen is considered user damage. I called Nokia, they had me send it in... more than 10 days without a phone, I got it back. They blew out the earpiece same as I'd been doing and put "no fault found" on the repair order. Ungh. Had they told me over the phone they wouldn't fix it, I wouldn't have wasted my time (and money on service I wasn't using). . .
  11. johninsj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    373 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by theprawn View Post
    AT&T said warranty swap wasn't an option, dust under the screen is considered user damage.
    That's news to me - unless there is some other obvious damage.
  12. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    272 Posts
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium View Post
    Hello, I have a relative with a Lumia 920 who just visited an AT&T store to get his phone replaced for the poor construction defect resulting in his front camera collecting dust but the store told him he has to go 30 miles up north to a warranty center since he bought his phone back in December.

    My question is, is this his only option or is there another way to demand a replacement?

    Did anybody have a similar problem where they went past the 14 day return period with AT&T but managed to get a replacement?
    those warrenty centers suck my 920 bricked and they told me the same thing and when I got there they didn't even have a replacement. Just call them and have them replace it through mail.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”- Plato

  13. theprawn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #13  
    Not a scratch. Looks like new... on the outside anyway ;)
  14. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #14  
    I'd go to Nokia on that.

    I don't have that problem with my phone so I don't think it's typical.

    That said, I probably wouldn't care if it did. I've never used the FFC on any phone I've ever owned. Not even once. I wouldn't care if it had no FFC at all.
  15. theprawn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I'd go to Nokia on that.

    I don't have that problem with my phone so I don't think it's typical.

    That said, I probably wouldn't care if it did. I've never used the FFC on any phone I've ever owned. Not even once. I wouldn't care if it had no FFC at all.
    Whether or not you'd use it yourself it's still a real failure of quality control.

    ...and with time that dust causes the proximity sensor to always think the phone is on your face, preventing hanging up or navigating support menus
    Thanked by:
    jaqueh 
    jaqueh and RuleOfSines like this.
  16. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #16  
    Wow, why the L900 doesn't have this problem?
  17. TechAbstract's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #17  
    Those matte Lumia 920 don't have as a solid construction as the glossy Lumia 920
  18. rimlover's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    214 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #18  
    did your phone also have a space between the unibody and the screen? mine does. i mean i can fit the edge of a piece of paper in there. i bought mine off of ebay so i'm going to call nokia tomorrow and see what the deal is.
  19. Tjalsma's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #19  
    Many Lumia's are victim to this design/manufacturing defect. I've been through about 6 Lumias (between the 900 and 920) for various issues. I can, unfortunately, say that you are most likely going to run into SOME kind of design/manufacturing flaw - especially if you go through AT&T to have them send you another refurbished/faulty handset.

    Many of the Lumia's I've had have had the space between the screen and bezel that allows dust to get into the innards of the phone. If you are going to try to have your phone repaired, I highly suggest you go through Nokia instead of AT&T.
    Thanked by:
    rimlover likes this.
  20. jaqueh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #20  
    I can't believe I'm stuck with this phone for the next 18 months.... I can't even imagine what other problems are going to crop up on this phone...
    Nokia Lumia owner 920 since November '12, still hoping Microsoft can get its act together.
    Also am a proud owner of a 15" Retina MacBook Pro
  21. wp8nyc's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    #21  
    Sorry to hear - I went through 3 920s and finally ended up switching to the Ativ S and couldn't be happier. Sad to see so much variation in build quality on the Lumia which led me to make the change.
  22. jlambo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #22  
    Yea I have dust above my camera to.
  23. TechAbstract's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    651 Posts
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    #23  
    The way to check for dust is use a flashlight on it.

Similar Threads

  1. Dust under the front camera lumia 920
    By izik770 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 07-10-2013, 05:40 AM
  2. Lumia 920 has Li-Po battery
    By chfhyh in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 05:49 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-04-2012, 03:31 AM
  4. Lumia 920 tops iPhone 5 in videk challenge
    By Pusher2 in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM
  5. Why the Lumia 920 wasn't displayed in Cyan
    By baileystein in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Posting Permissions

B