Welcome to the WPCentral Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MJS9

Hi guys!

I have a black Lumia 920 and is happy overall with the phone. But the unibody makes clicking and creaking noises when I handle the phone which makes the phone feel a little cheap. The creaking is worst on the back of the phone and on the sides. Is it normal? Do you experience the same?
    Last edited by Doraso; 08-19-2013 at 05:43 AM.

you mean like this?

it's not normal and if possible you should replace the phone
    Banned

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    No it's not normal

Sigh.......Thats what i thought.......Baaaaah!! This will mean that I have to exchange it and be without my phone for to long.....Get a grip Nokia.....This is weak....
    Last edited by Doraso; 08-19-2013 at 05:44 AM.

If in the US just go to an att repair center and you keep the phone until the new one gets to you. Real easy and the new phone will be perfect. 😊
    Banned

Yeah i just warrantied mine with AT&T and my new phone is perfect. They sent me a new one and I still have to send my old one back in the postage supplied box, painless process.

I had this same problem at the side of my phone (the side without the hardware buttons). As the phone was only 3 days old, I had my service provider replace it.

Not impressed with Nokia here. They always had a reputation of building high quality handsets.

I didnt have this problem at first it has evolved during the time I have used the phone, thats really annoying because if I had noticed this right away I could just have filed an DOA on the phone. Now I have to go to the store and first convince them of this problem and then wait about two weeks for the handset to come back from repair.

First Black L920 had giant gap between body and screen, then it started creaking on the left hand side about 2weeks later. Exchanged for Grey, solid when I purchased it, started creaking top and bottom the next day. Refunded since store refused to exchange again. Purchased another Grey today, extremely slight creaking bottom right. Fingers crossed this one doesn't go as bad as the other two. Partner's Grey purchased when I exchanged for the first grey, totally solid still. Friend's black is totally solid too. Today's when I purchased the grey, the store demo unit was totally solid too.

No i have a black L920 . Zero noises

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have a black 920 also, and I have this issue - as well as my sleep button nearly flush with the phone.

Could you please help me test one thing. Test if you have creaking, clicking plastic on the side between the volume button and the power button. Have a really annoying click/creak there and want to know what is normal and what is not before I go back to the store to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraso View Post
    Could you please help me test one thing. Test if you have creaking, clicking plastic on the side between the volume button and the power button. Have a really annoying click/creak there and want to know what is normal and what is not before I go back to the store to complain.

Br D
    pin drop silence on your test..
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    No it's not normal
    I just replaced both mine and my wife's because of this. My new one seems to be OK so far but its in a case but my wife's still creaks... just in a different spot. I'd say its a fairly normal manufacturing defect. Nokia will take it in for repair or maybe replace if you know who to talk to.

I'm on my 4th 920, 2 of the previous phones had creaks (along with other problems) I've had the current one for a couple of months now and it is perfect and doesn't creak at all, no matter how hard i try to make it creak, and also the screen is a close fit to the body, all around with no gaps. No sign of dust in the ffc either (yet)

i have same problem in my phone left side ( lower half )
    and it annoying me is it easy to convince them to give me new one cuz i do not wana to send it to reapair and be waiting
    any one in UAE has this problem and went to nokia sevice center their ?

is their any connection with 2 Screw in bottomside of the phone with this sound coming from left side ?

i have this sound in leftside of the phone in lower part of left side and i noticed that left Screw their i think not tight as right one

if i tried to tighten that screw their by myself is this will validate my warranty ?

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    My first one had creaks, dust in FFC, and proximity issue. The new one is perfect, it has none of those.

Hi!

This creaking is really making med sad. I sent for repair for this and got it back yesterday. But Nokia doesent think this is an issue. Its perfectly normal according to them. I just think its sad that my backup phone ZTE Blade 3 feels more solid than the "premium" Nokia.

But the more I read the more I see that this is an very common issue and it seems I have to live with it :(
    Last edited by Doraso; 08-19-2013 at 05:45 AM.

My black L920 purchased in the UK (EE) in Feb creaks and clicks on the top and side edges, and also the whole rear panel. The whole body is actually quite soft and flexible, and can be squished with gentle pressure. In fact, I've developed an annoying habit of making it creak and click deliberately when I'm not using the phone. It's almost therapeutic. It does give the handset a very cheap feel though, really not expected of a modern handset in any price bracket.
    HaibaneReki likes this.

mine was creaking from the start (1st batch, Nov'12), but I've dropped it several times, and even popped it open once (to fix the rattling battery with a post-it from either side ) and now the creaking's gone. ^_^ And I didn't give a s**t anyway, you don't notice it if you're not paying attention to it or deliberately creak it (I was clicking the hell out of the USB door on my previous 800 while it was in my pocket - almost miss it now on 920) :)
    I also have a black Lumia 920, but mine doesn't click or creak. Definitely doesn't sound like a normal occurrence.

Mine had a slight click on the top left corner and it was slightly uneven near the power button. I just cut up two small pieces of a Post It note and used some sticky tape to stick it to the shell where it made the creaks. Now it doesn't budge :P (On the inside, between the shell and the actual phone.)

Quote Originally Posted by jackbrennan View Post
    Mine had a slight click on the top left corner and it was slightly uneven near the power button. I just cut up two small pieces of a Post It note and used some sticky tape to stick it to the shell where it made the creaks. Now it doesn't budge :P (On the inside, between the shell and the actual phone.)
    Innovative solution :) But you shouldnt have to do this with a premium phone. Having to fix a phone in this price range with post its and sticky tape just confirms Nokias failure in creating a premium feeling.
    Last edited by Doraso; 08-19-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraso View Post
    Innovative solution :) But you shouldnt have to do this with a premium phone. Having to fix a phone in this price range with post its and sticky tape just confirms Nokias failure in creating a premium feeling.

Br D
    I disagree, there's only people complaining here on the forums, what about the other 95% (or majority anyways) of perfect phones (later batches)? I've "fixed" mine with a post-it because in Czech rep. (NOT Chechnya) I don't get the premium support from Nokia, especially when imported from Germany. So a little creaking housing is not worth waiting 20+ days for a replacement.