Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. sakahn's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
       #1  
    For me, photos are definitely worse after the update. I don't know why, but there seems to be even more noise reduction applied, especially in the day-time shots. I wish, I could do a before and after comparison but recently I took some photos in a bright day, the average size of the photos is more than 3 MB at ISO 100! In full resolution they did not look good at all. I really like this phone, but really hoping that in future camera quality will improve.

    I am attaching 100% crop of two photos taken today. Honestly they look horrible with all this noise reduction. Just look at the grass at full resolution in the first image. I cannot imagine why in such good lighting conditions the image is so heavily post-processed to remove the noise.

    wp_20130204_017.jpg
    wp_20130203_004.jpg
    Thanked by:
  2. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    #2  
    Damn. I was hoping the Portico update would fix the poor quality camera. I don't know if it's hardware related or not but I'll be sending my 920 to Nokia care again. It's not acceptable to have to put up with this for three months and still have to wait and hope for a software fix.
  3. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    #3  
    looks like you did not had it on focus? try a long tap on the spot you want to focus or the white balance you like the picture based on.
  4. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    #4  
    It's not user error, the phone just can't focus properly
  5. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    It's not user error, the phone just can't focus properly
    I really hate to upload that dollar bill picture every time someone said that.
  6. Jaripi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #6  
    Sorry to say, but it might be a dirty camera lens too ...
  7. ttsoldier's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,175 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,848 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    It's not user error, the phone just can't focus properly
    LOL! You'd be surprised.
  8. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    #8  
    Sometimes my phone can take great shots, sometimes it really is blurry.

    I've done numerous comparisons with other phones like the amaze 4G which can take sharp images consistently. The 920 takes great closeups regardless of lighting, but for regular shots its hit or miss for me. I still love the phone however.
  9. barareklam's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    203 Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Sometimes my phone can take great shots, sometimes it really is blurry.

    I've done numerous comparisons with other phones like the amaze 4G which can take sharp images consistently. The 920 takes great closeups regardless of lighting, but for regular shots its hit or miss for me. I still love the phone however.
    same for me
  10. Huime's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    996 Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Sometimes my phone can take great shots, sometimes it really is blurry.

    I've done numerous comparisons with other phones like the amaze 4G which can take sharp images consistently. The 920 takes great closeups regardless of lighting, but for regular shots its hit or miss for me. I still love the phone however.
    the reason behind is that nokia always has suck *** auto mode, plus the infamous after shoot blur. But using long tap should bring the cam to full potential.
  11. Jaripi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    #11  
    Interesting ... I think that my photos are great ones - blurry free (thanks for OIS), much better as with my old 8 MP phone cam ... and I took a lot of photos during my christmas and new year holiday ...

    EDIT: - here is a review about Lumia 920, some I feel is very proper ...

    http://connect.dpreview.com/post/912...iew-first-look
  12. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #12  
    I do not have this problem. Have you tried checking to see if your lens is clean. Perhaps use auto mode instead of dickering around with ISO settings. As with any digital camera, having the light at your back and a steady hand always results in better pictures. You might also try Creative Studio, which does a very nice job of color correction and sharpening things up a bit. Sorry to hear you haven't been happy with your results.
  13. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    #13  
    It's becoming a tiresome discussion on whether the 920's camera is any good or not but please understand, there are some faulty units out in the wild, mine being one of them. Yes, the lens is clean, it's set to auto, I have a steady hand etc but it won't take proper focused images. If anyone else's 920 can take focused shots then good for you, you have a fault free camera. Hopefully you get it now. There are some faulty 920 cameras that simply don't work as intended. Thanks
  14. barareklam's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    203 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    It's becoming a tiresome discussion on whether the 920's camera is any good or not but please understand, there are some faulty units out in the wild, mine being one of them. Yes, the lens is clean, it's set to auto, I have a steady hand etc but it won't take proper focused images. If anyone else's 920 can take focused shots then good for you, you have a fault free camera. Hopefully you get it now. There are some faulty 920 cameras that simply don't work as intended. Thanks
    That is true, I have seen some great and sharp pictures taken with L920, unfortunately my L920 can't be trusted. Sometimes it takes sharp picture but most of the time is quality not so good. I am waiting for Portico to see if that helps, fingers crossed :)
  15. Thigis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #15  
    either obvious troll is obvious or you dont know how to upload pictures.

    The size of the image above is only 433kb the camera takes at roughly 2-3mb in other words this is compressed a lot.

    If you are using the automatic uploading from skydrive then that could be the issue (it sucks) if you want the full quality picture you have to tap n hold then select upload.

    pro tips:
    use two hand
    clean the lens

    other
  16. mathewhayward's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thigis View Post
    If you are using the automatic uploading from skydrive then that could be the issue (it sucks) if you want the full quality picture you have to tap n hold then select upload.
    Not true. My auto uploads to Skydrive are full resolution.

    Pro tip:
    Known the full facts before giving advice
  17. #17  
    Even I have a similar experience...chk out the images I have posted on the following post 'Portico update: Images still soft on Lumia 920' in Windows Phone 8 forum...
  18. mr_808's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    54 Posts
    #18  
    Those definitely don't look good, but I haven't had any issues with the camera on my 920. This sounds like a isolated incedent so hopefully you still have some time to exchange your phone for another one. If you are out of you exchange policy try contacting Nokia directly. You still have a one year warranty.
  19. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thigis View Post
    either obvious troll is obvious or you dont know how to upload pictures.

    The size of the image above is only 433kb the camera takes at roughly 2-3mb in other words this is compressed a lot.

    If you are using the automatic uploading from skydrive then that could be the issue (it sucks) if you want the full quality picture you have to tap n hold then select upload.

    pro tips:
    use two hand
    clean the lens

    other
    Seriously? I've got the automatic upload to Skydrive app for my N8 and have it set to full quality over WiFi only. Pictures uploaded are perfect. Same setting on my 920 and pictures are horrible. Besides, just viewing the pictures on my phone shows how bad the pictures are.
  20. Sam Sabri's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #20  
    That's funny, because we got the opposite result - Nokia improves Lumia 920 camera. We do a before and after comparison.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com (email me vs. PMs in the Forums. I'll see it quicker through email)
    Twitter - @samsabri
    Socl - Sam Sabri
  21. gilesjuk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    43 Posts
    #21  
    To me the grass problem looks like excessive sharpening. Which seems to be what other camera phones do to get that sharp look.

    This is why pro photographers usually shoot RAW and then hand optimise the level of sharpening, exposure etc. on a photo.
  22. Thigis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelGummage View Post
    Seriously? I've got the automatic upload to Skydrive app for my N8 and have it set to full quality over WiFi only. Pictures uploaded are perfect. Same setting on my 920 and pictures are horrible. Besides, just viewing the pictures on my phone shows how bad the pictures are.
    I've set my lumia to up-load full quality as well, still doesn't work, at least there is a large disparity in file size.
  23. mathewhayward's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Thigis View Post
    I've set my lumia to up-load full quality as well, still doesn't work, at least there is a large disparity in file size.
    You're doing it wrong then. This is a comparison between a picture taken directly off my phone (left) and one auto-uploaded to Skydrive then downloaded to my MacBook (right)

  24. WorzelGummage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,043 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,046 Global Posts
    #24  
    I done a quick Google about the 920's camera to see if it was just mine that took out of focus shots and the result seems to be it's the phone in general. There appears to be much work needed to get the camera to focus on the whole image.

    Nokia Lumia 920 Camera Review: Connect
  25. vlad0's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    934 Posts
    #25  
    ^ you should bing !

    Quote Originally Posted by sakahn View Post
    I cannot imagine why in such good lighting conditions the image is so heavily post-processed to remove the noise.
    Its because it uses the same algorithm which makes that amazing low light photography possible, for daylight photos as well.. I guess they have no way to automatically switch between two differents sets of processing (day/night) so they just left it as default. They should at least give you an option to manually select "day" ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Nokia going to fix the brightness issues after Portico?
    By scumdogmillionaire in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM
  2. My 920 camera is still worse than my 800 after portico
    By Terantek in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2012, 04:54 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 02:29 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
  5. How is the quality of videos recorded on the Titan II?
    By lilb1190 in forum HTC TITAN II
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

B