View Poll Results: Do you use your 920 for running/exercising?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - With Armband

8 20.00%
  • Yes - Hold phone in hand

4 10.00%
  • Yes - In Pocket

11 27.50%
  • Yes - Other

8 20.00%
  • No I dont use it for exercising

9 22.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

How many of you are using your 920 for running/exercising?

For those of you who are using it for running/exercising, are you finding the phone & apps working properly? How do you exercise with it? Armband? Pocket? Hold in Hand?

The last few times I have taking the phone out it keeps loosing GPS whilst running. Its very frustrating as I like to record my runs. I've tried almost every exercising app available in the Store, and same thing keeps happening. Im starting to think it may be the way its placed on my arm? Im at a point that im even thinking of getting an Ipod Nano or a GPS watch which I don't really want too!

I use endomondo with the phone in my pocket and have not had any issues with GPS.

I have my phone on my thigh strap. I use endomondo as well have had no GPS problems at all

I'm not using a Lumia 920 but 820. I have been a Symbian user and has been using Sports tracker. I just hope Sports tracker for Windows can be used without Internet connection as it has been for the Symbian version.

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    I use my 920 with a belt case with Runtastic and have not had any GPS issues.

I use it in my pocket when I workout. It's not the greatest idea since it's quite bit and if you're not careful, you can leave a knick or two :(

I used it the other day with Runtastic and had no problems. It even knew my account was linked to MyFitnessPal and posted my calories burned over there without a hitch. Lumia 920.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I'm a skier, mostly going in-track. But since it's not so hard falling and it's quite easy to broke something I always want to have my phone with me. I just keep it in my pocket.
    For my purposes I decided to buy the Ski Blackbox app and I think it works great. I didn't use it for all day but just for various downhill. It kept track of all info, so I'm really satisfied with it!

Have had no problems with endomondo and GPS data.
    I'm waiting for Sports Tracker to come up with heart rate support in Q1. Just always used Sports Tracker on my previous phones.

Interesting! thanks for all the replies guys! I must be doing something wrong then!! I'll keep at it!

This app looks really good! Wonder if it'll work for Aus/NZ ski runs

Quote Originally Posted by mitixx View Post
    I'm a skier, mostly going in-track. But since it's not so hard falling and it's quite easy to broke something I always want to have my phone with me. I just keep it in my pocket.
    For my purposes I decided to buy the Ski Blackbox app and I think it works great. I didn't use it for all day but just for various downhill. It kept track of all info, so I'm really satisfied with it!

Global Posts
    494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zokstar View Post
    How many of you are using your 920 for running/exercising?

For those of you who are using it for running/exercising, are you finding the phone & apps working properly? How do you exercise with it? Armband? Pocket? Hold in Hand?

The last few times I have taking the phone out it keeps loosing GPS whilst running. Its very frustrating as I like to record my runs. I've tried almost every exercising app available in the Store, and same thing keeps happening. Im starting to think it may be the way its placed on my arm? Im at a point that im even thinking of getting an Ipod Nano or a GPS watch which I don't really want too!
    I used to have an iPhone along in an arm strap - but it got liquid damage during a run - now I don't use gadgets anymore for sports.

Apart from that: while I don't really mind the Lumia's weight anymore, it'd probably feel like a brick when strapped to the arm :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

The best gadget to use while running is a GPS-equipped watch. I use a Garmin Forerunner 110 and it works great. It is a bit more manual than a smartphone, but it works every time without fail, and I don't have to worry about water damage or anything like that.

I use it for bicep curls as the phone is so much heavier than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by JMBasquiat View Post
    The best gadget to use while running is a GPS-equipped watch. I use a Garmin Forerunner 110 and it works great. It is a bit more manual than a smartphone, but it works every time without fail, and I don't have to worry about water damage or anything like that.
    but what do you do about music? Or you dont listen?

but what do you do about music? Or you dont listen?
    I try to keep most of my runs under 30 minutes, so I generally don't listen to music. But if I feel like listening to music, I use my 2005 iPod which I keep in an armband. The armband has a nice plasticky cover that keeps it safe. I bought it in one of those dollar stores just to try it out, and it turned out to be a keeper.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    This app looks really good! Wonder if it'll work for Aus/NZ ski runs
    I'm not sure but it should since it uses the gps for gaining the position. The only stuffs that could be missing are the datas about the location name, but that probably depends on the "notority" of the place. Speed, distance, time should be saved! I didn't really try the demo, but it seemed it had most functionality too. Have fun! ;)

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I go biking with my 920 and use a TuneBelt AB86. Paired it with my Motorokr S-10 and stream Nokia Music. Doesn't skip a beat once and sounds great.
    Now this is an area I have looked at in great detail. I used to use an iPhone with Nike+ GPS and it was brilliant. As Nike and Apple are in bed together, the chances of them bringing the app to Windows is pretty slim although I have had messages from Nike to say that if enough people ask for it, they would 'consider it'. I have a 920 and have tried Endomondo, Sports Tracker, Runtastic and a couple of other apps. I settled on Runtastic but wasnt convinced the GPS was spot on. I ended up buying a Nike+ Tomtom sports watch so I could carry on with Nike+. Used this alongside Runtastic and it was spot on in regards to distance, map and pace. Using music on the go is a little confusing so I start the Nokia Music app first and what music I want (I found Deezer wouldnt work with Runtastic), then start Runtastic, wait for it to pick up the GPS signal, hit start and make sure live tracking is enabled and off I go. I am running about 30-40 miles a week so fairly heavy usage and have to say, I am pretty happy. Would be better if it had Nike+ Running App though... I use the 920 in the Official Nokia armband (purchased from Germany as wasn't available in the UK) and although not ideal, its good enough. The volume buttons are a little fiddly.. Hope this helps.

Daniel - Can you link me to this "official nokia arm band" please?

Since posting this, I have re-installed endomondo, gone on 2 runs and so far its recorded!!! One thing I have done is strap the armband so the top of the phone is facing towards to concrete/feet instead up at my head/sky. Not sure if this is helping but so far getting results.