Hello Folks, I have been using Nokia Lumia920 for about a month and really noticing my limitations with respect to complying with my Company's privacy policies. While MS provide a way for us to Synch our contacts, emails, calenders through Cloud/Hot Mail as well as setting up a direct Outlook hook through exchange, it's not a secure solution. 90% of my work involves reading emails/calenders etc and this become even more important when I'm traveling. Now I am at the mercy of my corporate IT to release an APP that makes my phone in compliance with security policy and with not too many WP8 users in my company, I am basically stuck. Not sure why MS guys did not think of this and the fact that forcing everyone to use Cloud is not really a secure mean.
    Thanks ...

Out of interest what are your companies privacy policies that you can't achieve with your phone?

outlook is not even touching the cloud tech. Its just normal active sync, don't see where you are going.

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cactus213 View Post
    Hello Folks, I have been using Nokia Lumia920 for about a month and really noticing my limitations with respect to complying with my Company's privacy policies. While MS provide a way for us to Synch our contacts, emails, calenders through Cloud/Hot Mail as well as setting up a direct Outlook hook through exchange, it's not a secure solution. 90% of my work involves reading emails/calenders etc and this become even more important when I'm traveling. Now I am at the mercy of my corporate IT to release an APP that makes my phone in compliance with security policy and with not too many WP8 users in my company, I am basically stuck. Not sure why MS guys did not think of this and the fact that forcing everyone to use Cloud is not really a secure mean.
    Thanks ...
    I don't get this at all. These phones sync directly to exchange. No cloud needed.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    I am guessing that the OP works somewhere where you need a VPN to connect to the server, not just over the internet (cloud)

ahh, that explains it. Hopefully will come with the next update...

Thanks that's what I meant to write ... with IT not supporting WP8, the other option that I have to keep my mails/calenders synched is to create Hotmail Connector hooks; manually transfer my mails/calenders to Hotmail. That means I will be breaking IT security policy as well as can't trust Hotmail to keep my contacts/calendars/emails from not hacked.

MS could have given us an easier way to synch phone through USB etc.

Could you connect your laptop to a wired internet connection, connect to your works vpn, then share your laptop wifi connection with your phone and sync like that?
    Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot

Global Posts
    753 Global Posts
    These days, requiring VPN for email connectivity is pretty old school. SSL is widely accepted and secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by pieman666 View Post
    Could you connect your laptop to a wired internet connection, connect to your works vpn, then share your laptop wifi connection with your phone and sync like that?
    Turn Your Windows 7 PC Into a Wireless Hotspot
    I knew how to prevent this when I was 14. Any IT department worth their salt will have it set up to not allow bridging or sharing through the network.

Global Posts
    1,400 Global Posts
    maybe im not catching on, but is the issue not being able to sync with outlook for your company?

I have my company email provisioned which uses outlook and I am able to sync my contacts and have my calendar updated realtime.

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkp23 View Post
    maybe im not catching on, but is the issue not being able to sync with outlook for your company?

I have my company email provisioned which uses outlook and I am able to sync my contacts and have my calendar updated realtime.
    Some companies require a VPN to be established before you connect. A lot have switched to SSL, but plenty still using a version of VPN that WP does not work with.