Hello,

Is there compass feature on Nokia Maps where I can see which direction im facing?

I know iOS has it, but cant find it on my lumia 920, it only lets me locate myself, but I cant get it to show me which direction im facing.

bump

No such function in Nokia Maps (the whole app sucks). Use gMaps app or Nokia Drive+ to see a compass direction.

thanks

the worst is that..they removed from Bing Maps too, compared to 7.5 ...i cant even properly follow traffic on Bing, like I used in 7.5
    Then redownload bing maps. Just search Maps in the app store. Should be the first result called Maps

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPenguin777 View Post
    Then redownload bing maps. Just search Maps in the app store. Should be the first result called Maps
    Downloading this shortcut icon for built-in Bing Maps won't "fix" the lack of compass view in Bing Maps on WP8 ;-)

I have used a lot of Nokia maps and never felt need of compass - not even with Drive+ beta (as mentioned here, it has a compass) ... well, there is a plenty of compass apps in store, if needed ... about Nokia maps, it is a true OFFLINE maps - gmaps is a great one too, as long as you have internet connection ... but Nokia maps is better one to use in foreign countries, during holidays, business trips, etc. - I have all them installed, but I prefer to use Nokia maps, with predownloaded country maps ...

I need the compass a lot with maps. Really really bad thing that it s not supported with Nokia maps. Hope this will be fixed soon otherwise I and many others are really disappointed. Maps is one of the main reason why people are buying Lumias. If it fails... gooodby Nokia

In Nokia Maps (like in most WP Nokia Apps) hit option and feedback,
    Express your feelings there and provide your suggestions and requests :)

I hope these people are not serious.

Nokia Maps on the other Nokia platforms i.e. Symbian and Meego have the compass function. I wonder why the app is dumbed down for the WP8 platform.

It has the compass now. Tap on the green icon in the lower left corner.

Quote Originally Posted by elyodeel View Post
    It has the compass now. Tap on the green icon in the lower left corner.
    I've tried that, it doesn't work for me.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 920Owner View Post
    the compass works for me , when i tap the green icon on the lower left corner
    maybe you need to update your maps, go to store and search for here maps and see if there is any updates
    The problem could be that you have some electromagnetic disturbance near you : A hard disk or PC or monitor , so go outside your home and check it out

First time use needs calibration, and you can also force calibration within the app IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by 920Owner View Post
    The phone is new to me yesterday, I swapped it with another brand it's not brand new but had been reset before I got it.

I tried an update and that fixed the compass issue. This is my first WP phone I'm surprised the update wasn't offered automatically like I'v been used to.

I know a very good alternative to gMaps and Nokia Drive+. "Compass Deluxe". It's very simple but powerfull app with 3D view, navigation and actually new with friends tracking.

I am having compass issue now. I am wondering what update you have tried?

Thanks.

There is a compass feature on Nokia Maps. Use it, and the phone will orientate the map so that the top of the map matches the direction you are facing.

To turn it on, tap on the green icon to centre the map on your location, and you will see the top section turn a lighter shade of grey. Tap again, and the top turns an even lighter shade of grey and the map will start to rotate around the point you are standing on.
    Do you long for a little app that would change your day? Let me know!